Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pick up games (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173064)

NY-Knicks 05-06-2010 09:01 AM

Pick up games

What is the talent level at your nearby outdoor court, rec center etc? And are the players serious and competative or is it more fooling around?

Button 05-06-2010 09:30 AM

Re: Pick up games

12 yr olds, who have never played basketball ever, kinda lame no1 plays alot close to my home,

Rake2204 05-06-2010 09:37 AM

I have found the level of competition at my park is contagious. At a default level, it can often be full of low level players. However, once legitimate competition begins to establish itself, often one by one, things begin to pick up.

How it usually works here. . .I'll head out at the start of the year, the moment the temperature hits 55 (Michigan). There will often be a smorgasbord of players present, representing all ability ranges. Bit by bit, day by day, local basketball players of whom I'm familiar with will see me down at the court, stop by and begin to infuse the court with a little more talent. From there it just builds and builds and builds until finally (right around this time of year) the court is largely filled with at least moderate talent - high school varsity/low level college (i.e. right down my alley).

There's no way I can honestly sit here and pretend the talent level goes higher than that but for a small city it's just about right. To answer your question, it IS at least serious and competitive.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 12:02 PM

Like most places, it varies... but certain times = the type of competition you will find. Earlier in the day and on Sunday, if there enough people around to play, they are probably the type that would get cut from the basketball team without much thought (some more than others). Weekday evenings and Saturday mornings the competition is moderate to very good though. There are at least 10-15 people who play that have played college ball/overseas in Europe... the best probably being this 6'9 guy named Joe who played and coached overseas (he's probably about 30 now) but he only tried when the competition goes up... otherwise he just kind of messes around. There are guys with more game than him who play there, but they ain't no 6'9 :lol

NY-Knicks 05-06-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Like most places, it varies... but certain times = the type of competition you will find. Earlier in the day and on Sunday, if there enough people around to play, they are probably the type that would get cut from the basketball team without much thought (some more than others). Weekday evenings and Saturday mornings the competition is moderate to very good though. There are at least 10-15 people who play that have played college ball/overseas in Europe... the best probably being this 6'9 guy named Joe who played and coached overseas (he's probably about 30 now) but he only tried when the competition goes up... otherwise he just kind of messes around. There are guys with more game than him who play there, but they ain't no 6'9 :lol

does it elevate your game and can you really hang with those former college players?

Sticks 05-06-2010 03:24 PM

This is Holland and not one of the major basketball stronghold cities such as Utrecht or Amsterdam. You figure what the talent level around here is.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
does it elevate your game and can you really hang with those former college players?

I can hang with some of them... but not all of them. There are a few guys who can score at will on anybody who comes in there so I don't really feel too bad :lol I am pretty inconsistent with moving my feet... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't (or maybe I just guess right). Guys who are quick can get by me and guys who are taller are going to be able to shoot over me... so if they can play then they are probably going to shit on me pretty good :lol

Can I hang with them in a 5 on 5 game though? Absolutely. I do a lot of good things for a team so if I can get some help on a guy who might be too quick for me... then everything will be fine. If people don't want to help, then we are probably going to have a problem. I love the challenge of going against someone who is really good tho. Even I keep getting beat, just the fact that I'm testing myself feels good and it's great experience.

NY-Knicks 05-06-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

I can hang with some of them... but not all of them. There are a few guys who can score at will on anybody who comes in there so I don't really feel too bad :lol I am pretty inconsistent with moving my feet... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't (or maybe I just guess right). Guys who are quick can get by me and guys who are taller are going to be able to shoot over me... so if they can play then they are probably going to shit on me pretty good :lol

Can I hang with them in a 5 on 5 game though? Absolutely. I do a lot of good things for a team so if I can get some help on a guy who might be too quick for me... then everything will be fine. If people don't want to help, then we are probably going to have a problem. I love the challenge of going against someone who is really good tho. Even I keep getting beat, just the fact that I'm testing myself feels good and it's great experience.

I'm 6'3, 200 pounds with pretty long arms. That makes me able to back off on defense and still contest the shot and I am fortunately bigger and stronger than most of the guards. I am not quick though, need to work on my lateral speed.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 09:53 PM

Yea my arms are short so I have to be right up on someone if I want to bother their shot. Most of the time I'll start off close right up on someone for that very reason... it bothers a lot of people and they won't want to do anything. For someone who is good though... that's what they are hoping for lol. They will most likely blow right by me because I don't have the quickness to stay with someone from that close... but even still, I figure I might as well make them make a play rather than just dance around and get an open jump shot cus they shook me :lol

Quick lateral movement is difficult to attain... change of direction takes such incredible force it's ridiculous.

NY-Knicks 05-07-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yea my arms are short so I have to be right up on someone if I want to bother their shot. Most of the time I'll start off close right up on someone for that very reason... it bothers a lot of people and they won't want to do anything. For someone who is good though... that's what they are hoping for lol. They will most likely blow right by me because I don't have the quickness to stay with someone from that close... but even still, I figure I might as well make them make a play rather than just dance around and get an open jump shot cus they shook me :lol

Quick lateral movement is difficult to attain... change of direction takes such incredible force it's ridiculous.

I know, but I can certainly get a bit quicker and way faster in the open floor as well. But I often use the 'Kobe on Westbrook' strategy (if they aren't threepoint shooters). Just back off on defense and if they shoot the shot contest it because I am bigger. If they do have a midrange jumper, pullup shot I will still back off and when they come at me for some reason I am good at seeing when they stop and shoot just put my hand in the face. Result; brick. :D I sometimes back off even more when they come at me, have got to stop doing that.

Venom 05-07-2010 10:46 PM

I live near Lincoln High school (the NYers of ISH will know what I'm talking about), and all the kids ever do is play ball in the park. Whenever I go, I always end up playing against their varsity team. They're incredibly tough to play against, especially if you're smaller than them. They're 6'-6'3", and extremely quick. I enjoy playing against them because they're a year or two older than me and I pick up a lot of new skills from them. However, they're the only competition I have in that park. The only other people who show up are middle school kids, wanna-be gangsters, and adults, whose reflexes are of those of a tortoise.

phoenix18 05-08-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom
I live near Lincoln High school (the NYers of ISH will know what I'm talking about), and all the kids ever do is play ball in the park. Whenever I go, I always end up playing against their varsity team. They're incredibly tough to play against, especially if you're smaller than them. They're 6'-6'3", and extremely quick. I enjoy playing against them because they're a year or two older than me and I pick up a lot of new skills from them. However, they're the only competition I have in that park. The only other people who show up are middle school kids, wanna-be gangsters, and adults, whose reflexes are of those of a tortoise.

This Lincoln?:oldlol:

For me, not much comp near me for now, but when I attend GT next year the comp should be awesome.

NY-Knicks 05-08-2010 07:33 AM

ever played against Lance Stephenson? :lol

Venom 05-08-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix18

This Lincoln?:oldlol:

For me, not much comp near me for now, but when I attend GT next year the comp should be awesome.

Yeah, that Lincoln.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
ever played against Lance Stephenson? :lol

No, I haven't, but I've played against Sebastian Telfair's younger brother, Ethan Telfair. The guys that play there can easily play college ball/be NBA prospects.

Timmy D for MVP 05-09-2010 03:46 AM

Sometimes it's a bunch of drunk guys. Sometimes the local high school team comes out. It just all depends on the day.

On average though it's a usually a bunch of decent players who are out there more for fun than real competition. But we still get competitive.