Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Paid homeless guy to rebound my ball... am I a bad person? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177792)

forensic91 06-13-2010 05:08 PM

Paid homeless guy to rebound my ball... am I a bad person?

Well I was shooting around at the park and all of a sudden I see this homeless guy walking around. He then comes up to me and asks me for some money.
I then tell him, I will give him 10$ if he rebounds my ball for a little while.

So I just kept shooting around and he kept passing my ball back to me. So after about an hour(had been shooting for 2 hours) I am tired so I give him 10$ and throw in and extra a 5$ certificate at Mcdonalds. He thanks me and walks away.

I told my parents this and they were all pissed off cuz they said "I took advantage of a homeless guy". I dunno I didnt see anything wrong with what I did. What do you guys think?

iamgine 06-13-2010 05:16 PM

Re: Paid homeless guy to rebound my ball... am I a bad person?

I think you paid too much and next time don't tell your parents.

Abd El-Krim 06-13-2010 05:17 PM

I think you can write that off.

Venom 06-13-2010 06:06 PM

It depends. Was he an old guy that barely hobbled around, or was his able to chase the ball down with little to no problem?

623baller 06-13-2010 06:35 PM

i think you basically employed a guy(10 bucks /hr) and most likely he spent the bill on alki and used the mcdonalds coupon to get some food, not such a bad deal

i think your parents are just pissed because it doesnt seem like the right thing to do, because it does feel like you are taking advantage of a guy only because he's homeless, to be honest, if you told your parents you paid a friend or a jr high kid looking for a job, they probably just shurg their shoulders and go ok

dukecitydave 06-13-2010 06:55 PM

I'm sure if you asked the homeless dude if he felt taken advantage of he would say no. I bet that BigMac and cheap bottle of vodka he got made his day!

1manfastbreak 06-13-2010 10:23 PM

i dont see how you took advantage of anything but a good situation.i probably woulda just gave him that gift certificate and kept the 10. but damn

Swaggin916 06-14-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
I think you can write that off.

Hahahaha :lol

Nah man it's all good at least he worked for his money.

jesingle 06-14-2010 04:02 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm sure both of you were happy with the result! You didn't have to rebound and he has some dinner $ and cash left over!

devin112 06-14-2010 09:53 PM

exploit children labor, i have little kids in my neighbor hood rebound for me for free. i tell them it's how to play basketball, they go home and tell their parents i taught them how to play bball win win.

bobbyflay 06-15-2010 01:13 AM

Yeah, nothing wrong with it. It's one of those things where when you think about it at first, you'll think it's wrong. That's probably why your parents got pissed.

JellyBean 06-15-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forensic91
Well I was shooting around at the park and all of a sudden I see this homeless guy walking around. He then comes up to me and asks me for some money.
I then tell him, I will give him 10$ if he rebounds my ball for a little while.

So I just kept shooting around and he kept passing my ball back to me. So after about an hour(had been shooting for 2 hours) I am tired so I give him 10$ and throw in and extra a 5$ certificate at Mcdonalds. He thanks me and walks away.

I told my parents this and they were all pissed off cuz they said "I took advantage of a homeless guy". I dunno I didnt see anything wrong with what I did. What do you guys think?

It was a win-win situation. You got a chance to help an individual and he helped you out. It is all in proper context. You could have stiffed the guy, but u did not. Plus u gave him extra. That was a good deed on your part.

LJJ 06-15-2010 12:18 PM

It's cool dude. I pay homeless guys to "rebound my balls" all the time.

HylianNightmare 06-15-2010 12:19 PM

god damn i'm jealous, i wish there wer some more homeless folk around here

forensic91 06-15-2010 10:32 PM

Lol thanks for replies... The same guy was there today again and he again rebounded my ball lool. gave him 10$ for about 1h20-1h30. It's totally worth it I get SO many more shots in its crazy.

he said he hangs around that parc alot so If I ever needed him I could just ask.