Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Worst Hands in the League: Drop % (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178106)

Posterize246 06-15-2010 10:22 PM

Worst Hands in the League: Drop %

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...sive-drop-rate

Targets Drops Drop %
Daniel Coats 31 7 22.6%
Darrius Heyward-Bey 41 7 17.1%
Ahmad Bradshaw 30 5 16.7%
Brandon Jacobs 31 5 16.1%
Lance Long 40 6 15%
Donald Lee 54 8 14.8%
Daniel Fells 34 5 14.7%
Mark Bradley 56 8 14.3%
Dwayne Bowe 88 11 12.5%
DeAngelo Williams 41 5 12.2%

Quote:

If we switch to raw totals, the league lead goes to two tight ends: Brent Celek of the Eagles and Vernon Davis of the 49ers each had 12 drops. The tie would go to Celek, as he dropped his 12 passes in 113 targets; Davis required 129 targets for his 12 drops. The only other receiver in the league in double-digits was Bowe.

As for year-to-year consistency? Last year's leaders aren't really near the top of the table this time around. Celek had five drops in 38 targets last year (a 13.2 Drop Rate), but no one else from last year's top ten made it to the 2009 leaderboard. Marshawn Lynch came close; he led the league last year with a Drop Rate of 17.9 percent, but he was only at 10.8 percent this year. The leader amongst tight ends was Marcedes Lewis, who dropped 13.7 percent of his targets in 2008, but was at only 5.0 percent in 2009 (3-of-60). The leading wideout in 2008 didn't drop a single pass in 2009! Unfortunately for Harry Douglas, though, a torn ACL meant that he didn't catch a single ball in anger, either. Behind him was Braylon Edwards, who dropped a league-leading 15 passes on 138 targets, for a 10.9 percent Drop Rate. Perhaps buoyed by his move to New York, Edwards only dropped six of the 97 passes thrown to him this year, for a respectable Drop Rate of 6.2 percent.

Another stat that's interesting (to me, at least) is Unforced Errors -- those drops that came when a receiver was listed as Uncovered or up against the vaunted Hole In Zone. Last year, the league leader in Unforced Errors was the Cardinals' Tim Hightower; he dropped four passes while marked as Uncovered (likely screen passes), and one against HiZ, for a total of five. Four players had four Unforced Errors; the only wideout in the group was the Eagles' DeSean Jackson, whose drops all came against Hole In Zone.

As for the receivers with the best hands? Five players were not registered with a single drop, including Greg Camarillo (73 targets), Robert Meachem (66), Pierre Thomas (45), Brian Westbrook (34), and Delanie Walker (33). T.J. Houshmandzadeh only dropped two passes on 140 targets, which seems like a function of his usage pattern, but it's hard to reconcile that logic when Lee Evans only dropped one of the 95 targets thrown to him.

Finally, the two-year totals (minimum: 30 targets in each season). The "best hands" group would have made for a hell of an offense in their respective peaks, with Brian Westbrook (0.9 percent Drop Rate) at halfback, Sidney Rice (1.3 percent) and Lee Evans (1.5 percent) at wideout, and Tony Gonzalez (1.7 percent) catching whatever's left at tight end.

Eagles should use that DeSean stat in negotiations :lol

Skywalker 06-15-2010 10:45 PM

Re: Worst Hands in the League: Drop %

Dwayne Bowe came to mind.

Black Joker 06-15-2010 11:08 PM

Braylon Edwards isn't in the top 10 :eek: :eek:

-playmaker- 06-16-2010 12:12 AM

When I read the thread title I fully espected this to be an attempt to bash Roy E. Williams...who somehow is not on that list...wow

here is the top top with the worst catch %:

1 Darrius Heyward-Bey OAK 23.7 0
2 Michael Clayton TB 36.4
3 Louis Murphy OAK 37.0
4 Deon Butler SEA 37.5
5 Mohamed Massaquoi CLV 39.1
6 Bryant Johnson DET 43.4
7 Reggie Brown PHI 45.0
8 Roy E. Williams DAL 45.2

9 Justin Gage TEN 46.7
10 Antonio Bryant TB 47.0

Brown and Roy just couldn't get on the same page with the QBlast year...although Brown only had 1 drop, where Roy had 8...which means McNabb just REALLY had trouble finding Brown...

ALSO it is clear that even though DHB had Russell throwing to him, that he still completely sucked last year...but he is a rookie WR, so I will give him another 1-2 years before I declare him a bust...

JtotheIzzo 06-16-2010 12:54 AM

it makes sense that a TE would have more drops, a lot more catches in traffic and a lot more last second bailout passes.

Surprised Braylon wasn't up there.

magic chiongson 06-16-2010 01:43 AM

kwame brown

err wrong forum

Posterize246 06-16-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -playmaker-
When I read the thread title I fully espected this to be an attempt to bash Roy E. Williams...who somehow is not on that list...wow

here is the top top with the worst catch %:

1 Darrius Heyward-Bey OAK 23.7 0
2 Michael Clayton TB 36.4
3 Louis Murphy OAK 37.0
4 Deon Butler SEA 37.5
5 Mohamed Massaquoi CLV 39.1
6 Bryant Johnson DET 43.4
7 Reggie Brown PHI 45.0
8 Roy E. Williams DAL 45.2

9 Justin Gage TEN 46.7
10 Antonio Bryant TB 47.0

Brown and Roy just couldn't get on the same page with the QBlast year...although Brown only had 1 drop, where Roy had 8...which means McNabb just REALLY had trouble finding Brown...

ALSO it is clear that even though DHB had Russell throwing to him, that he still completely sucked last year...but he is a rookie WR, so I will give him another 1-2 years before I declare him a bust...

Reggie was barely on the field last year. Is that list without minimum targets? Reggie was 4th on the depth chart but there were RB's and TE's who played more receiver than him. You said here's the "top top" but I assume you meant "top WR's"?

craigthomasb 06-16-2010 11:16 AM

both NY RB's lol

dropshot001 06-16-2010 11:24 AM

i was thinking that roy williams would definitely be on the list.

Jailblazers7 06-16-2010 11:37 AM

Limas Sweed

-playmaker- 06-16-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
Reggie was barely on the field last year. Is that list without minimum targets? Reggie was 4th on the depth chart but there were RB's and TE's who played more receiver than him. You said here's the "top top" but I assume you meant "top WR's"?

ment "top ten" I think...yeah WRs

Reggie was only targeted 20 times, and only caught 9 of those, giving him the 45.0%

Roy E. was targeted 84 times, caught 38

DHB was only targeted 38 times, caught only 9 of those...:lol

DHB had 5 drops btw...(I don't see 7 from my source)...but like I said, even though he had to deal with Jarmarcus, he was still extremely bad as a WR his rookie year...

ROCSteady 06-16-2010 05:42 PM

Braylon Edwards, Donte Stallworth, DeSean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Ted Ginn.

Screw stats

1manfastbreak 06-16-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -playmaker-
ment "top ten" I think...yeah WRs

Reggie was only targeted 20 times, and only caught 9 of those, giving him the 45.0%

Roy E. was targeted 84 times, caught 38

DHB was only targeted 38 times, caught only 9 of those...:lol

DHB had 5 drops btw...(I don't see 7 from my source)...but like I said, even though he had to deal with Jarmarcus, he was still extremely bad as a WR his rookie year...

DHB sucked but he still had whats his name throwing to him, i'd give anyone a second chance after having to deal with that debacle. word from OTA's is that DHB has been pretty solid, but im not buying in till he starts catching balls in the fall..

-playmaker- 06-16-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
DHB sucked but he still had whats his name throwing to him, i'd give anyone a second chance after having to deal with that debacle. word from OTA's is that DHB has been pretty solid, but im not buying in till he starts catching balls in the fall..

I will give any rookie WR a second chance, regardless of who they have at QB, it is very rare for a WR to blow up as a rookie like Moss and Boldin did...most of the time WRs need a couple years of grooming.

that being said, DHB still played horrible as a rookie...

I don't expect monster numbers from Dez this year either...but I do expect a monster career...:D