Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Memphis Grizzlies Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   OJ Mayo trying to learn the PG spot in summer league (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183714)

insidehoops 07-16-2010 03:19 AM

OJ Mayo trying to learn the PG spot in summer league

Memphis Commercial Appeal reports:

O.J. Mayo ended his two-game point guard experiment with great disappointment.

However, he is not deterred.

The Grizzlies third-year player knew that he wouldn't make a seamless transition from the shooting guard position to running the point. But Mayo hoped for a more credible showing.

Mayo committed 15 total turnovers and handed out just six assists after volunteering to play in the Grizzlies' first two NBA Summer League games. The 6-4 scorer didn't have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

However, his ballhandling and decision making left a lot to be desired. Mayo's flirtation at the point left this impression: While he's not exactly a lost cause, Mayo needs more repetition and a better understanding of what's required from him in that role.

idizzle 07-19-2010 05:32 PM

Re: OJ Mayo trying to learn the PG spot in summer league

I commend him on trying to learn how to be a PG. Mike Conley isn't going to get the job done.

Plus, I was reading this article today on how bigger guards just shoot over him and post him up.

I'm always hearing that he is a under SG. Him and Dwyane Wade are the same height and just about the same build.

I like him as the SG, but if he can master the PG position and Xavier Henry can be a factor, the Grizzlies could really have a knockout backcourt of Mayo and Henry.

brandonislegend 07-19-2010 07:28 PM

OJ Mayo is a SG.

idizzle 07-21-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonislegend
OJ Mayo is a SG.

He played point in high school and at USC.

brandonislegend 07-21-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idizzle
He played point in high school and at USC.

What level is he going to play on from now til he retires?

Kobe8 07-24-2010 09:07 AM

This Dude gotta make up his mind...

Da KO King 09-24-2010 09:45 AM

The Grizzlies need to give Mayo the PG job. Mayo's potential as a PG is a Chauncey Billups-type player. Conley at best is a TJ Ford-type. I'm not familiar with the Grizzlies current assistant coaches but if they focus on Mayo's decision making his progress as a PG will be excellent.

The problem with Mayo's PG play so far has been that the work has been too focused on ball handling and not enough on decision making. Decision making improves best when you have a player watch TONS of game film and then recreate those situations he's watched.

Go Getter 09-27-2010 05:55 AM

Mayo is not a PG...at the summer league level he should have been MUCH better at protecting the ball.

His SHOOTING is his main asset and will not be utilized to it's maximum potential at the 1.

He's necessarily fleet of foot and when he gets older he will have to move back to the 2 anyway.