Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Employment question (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18474)

Seņor Cedric 11-19-2006 09:17 PM

OT: Employment question

I started my jo bas a Paint Chemist in May, and the company that I work for knew I was having an ACL reconstruction in September and were fine with that.

For the last 2 months I have been getting weekly compensation from ACC (NZ's accident compensation company). I am now fit for work again, my doctor has cleared me for full duties, and work say there is no work for me, and I received the following text message from my boss:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiot boss
Hi Ryan unable to find any copies of contract. We will hold a position open for when the shop and CWA takes off. At present we are taking only couple hundred a week and cannot afford more staff. When you came on board in May we needed a full timer. You were never able to fulfil that position view health and other reasons therefore we had to make other arrangements. We have your number and will give you 1st refusal when a position arises.

So they want to offer me a job selling paint in a shop when I return? WTF? And until then I should survive without pay?

Do you guys think it's time to get my lawyer involved? I know NZ law is different from US law, but it seems pretty dodgy.

They gave someone else my job, so it's not like they can terminate my employment because there is no job for me.

AKADS 11-19-2006 09:19 PM

Unless you can find the contract, if I yousigned one you have a small case but what would that do for you. Just open the paper and find a job bro can;t be that hard.

Seņor Cedric 11-19-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKADS
Unless you can find the contract, if I yousigned one you have a small case but what would that do for you. Just open the paper and find a job bro can;t be that hard.

Yeah signed a contract but they're saying they "can't find it". F*ckers.

It's easy to get a crappy job here, but it's hard to get something decent which I can actually use my education in.

AKADS 11-19-2006 09:27 PM

But even if u got a lawyer and forced them to hire you do u think it would be a good work enviroment with how you got the job

AppleNader 11-19-2006 10:28 PM

what is a "paint chemist"?

JtotheIzzo 11-19-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
I started my jo bas a Paint Chemist in May, and the company that I work for knew I was having an ACL reconstruction in September and were fine with that.

For the last 2 months I have been getting weekly compensation from ACC (NZ's accident compensation company). I am now fit for work again, my doctor has cleared me for full duties, and work say there is no work for me, and I received the following text message from my boss:

So they want to offer me a job selling paint in a shop when I return? WTF? And until then I should survive without pay?

Do you guys think it's time to get my lawyer involved? I know NZ law is different from US law, but it seems pretty dodgy.

They gave someone else my job, so it's not like they can terminate my employment because there is no job for me.

If they sent you a text message that is a bad sign.

Show up in person and demand answers (politely)

lowblok 11-19-2006 10:50 PM

Time to cross the Tasman my friend. Live it up in the QLD sunshine!! Although today is hotter than a mutha....

Seņor Cedric 11-19-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

But even if u got a lawyer and forced them to hire you do u think it would be a good work enviroment with how you got the job

I've just discovered under New Zealand law, they have to pay me my full salary whether I work or not. I just need a job until January or so next year, it's pretty hard to find work just before the holiday season, not many people want to leave their jobs at the mo..... dammit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleNader
what is a "paint chemist"?

I design paint. Tio2, Zn etc. Getting levels right, and performing extensive tests on paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
If they sent you a text message that is a bad sign.

I should have explained that better. I went in the other day, and they told me there was no work, then I sent him a message saying by law they should be paying me and I received that message.

My lawyer is on the case now. Hopefully I get some cashflow next week. Otherwise my car is going on the market again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowblok
Time to cross the Tasman my friend. Live it up in the QLD sunshine!! Although today is hotter than a mutha....

That's one of the only countries in the world that doesn't interest me. Australia is full of fat chicks, plus my ex lives i nQueensland, I don't want to look like a stalker.

AirGauge23 11-19-2006 11:09 PM

How much $$$ u making?

AKADS 11-19-2006 11:12 PM

Move to Canada Ryan

GoRapz 11-19-2006 11:23 PM

Shouldn't you get money if you were hurt? Guess thats only in Canada.

MaxFly 11-19-2006 11:27 PM

Your employer text messaged you?

Seņor Cedric 11-19-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirGauge23
How much $$$ u making?

NZ$45,000

Quote:

Move to Canada Ryan

First choice is staying here getting a new job, if not then it's Auckland, and last case scenario I go to Korea to teach, but I won't be healed in time to play basketball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRapz
Shouldn't you get money if you were hurt? Guess thats only in Canada.

I was being paid weekly fro mACC (national weekly compensation provider), but was told there was work for me at work, so I got signed up for work again through the doctor. Now I'm not entitled to weekly compensation because I'm healthy, and my employer all of a sudden has no work for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFly
Your employer text messaged you?

Because I messaged him, I was too angry to talk to him anymore, it took the anger out of it.

SupermanOnSteroids 11-19-2006 11:46 PM

I'm not sure of the rules there, but if they can show that you were never able to fulfil the full time position that you were hired for, they can probably get away with it. I've had friens here in the military that got deployed and came back to find that they have no jobs, and even though there are laws against the military members losing their jobs this way, the companies were able to get away with it. So, unfortunatly you might have to resort to prostitution to make ends meet until you can find another job.

AirGauge23 11-19-2006 11:53 PM

How much is that in american dollars?