Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   D3 or another college? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189603)

carpevicis 09-07-2010 08:27 PM

D3 or another college?

I just started my junior year of HS and with that comes college talks with my parents and stuff, taking more classes/standardized tests for better entry into colleges. I've still been finding time to practice ball but I've had second thoughts about playing college ball.

If I end up playing basketball in college, it will most likely be at the D3 level in a rather obscure school. My parents would not accept that idea and I'm starting to wonder what I should do. My other choice which I'm leaning towards right now is to try and get into Cal Berkeley or another Cal school, one where I would not be able to play on their team but would be able to attend a very nice school and pursue an excellent career later on.

What should I do? Basketball will end sooner or later for me, but the idea of playing D3 was on my mind for months. It was pretty much my goal until college to become great at basketball and for me that would've proved all the doubters wrong.

Now, I'm not so sure what to do now.

lil_watz 09-07-2010 08:56 PM

Re: D3 or another college?

I would suggest looking into a NAIA school. D3 schools are not going to give you a scholarship, but NAIA will. Not only that but most of these schools are on a level playing field.

Swaggin916 09-08-2010 02:07 AM

You should just work on your game and see where it takes you. If you happen to get a scholarship somewhere, obv. you have to take that. If not, I would just balance it all out... I mean if you feel like "Hey... I can go to a great college, play pick up, and feel fulfilled." Then role with that. You want to live a fulfilled life tho... it's not all about school and all that... a degree from a great school like Cal will look great, but a degree is a degree. It shows commitment, which is the most important part about it really... cus every job you have to learn stuff that they never taught you in college... but like i was saying, if you don't feel fulfilled playing pick up or in some rec leagues... you feel the itch to play college ball, you have to do it.

Nelson14 09-08-2010 10:02 AM

if you have the oppurtunity to play ball even at a d3 level go for it, you can play ball and study and transfer to another school at another time

carpevicis 09-08-2010 09:02 PM

I don't know what will make me feel fulfilled... I always thought playing college basketball would be the ultimate sign of me completing my goal, but I'm not even sure now. I know for a fact that my parents would never allow me to go to a below-average school (or even one not up to their standards) because I wanted to play basketball there. They'd make me pay for it and try and threaten and blackmail me into doing otherwise.

On top of this problem of deciding what I want to do, my life has been getting pretty crappy already. Some dudes in school are talking shit about me and claiming they kicked my ass in a fight last year where I beat that kid up, a girl I thought I was going to get didn't show any kind of interest, my boss put me on a shift I couldn't really do and I had some kind of guilt trip and I'm still trying to find time to practice basketball.

I wish the answers to these problems were easier :(

Swaggin916 09-09-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
I don't know what will make me feel fulfilled... I always thought playing college basketball would be the ultimate sign of me completing my goal, but I'm not even sure now. I know for a fact that my parents would never allow me to go to a below-average school (or even one not up to their standards) because I wanted to play basketball there. They'd make me pay for it and try and threaten and blackmail me into doing otherwise.

On top of this problem of deciding what I want to do, my life has been getting pretty crappy already. Some dudes in school are talking shit about me and claiming they kicked my ass in a fight last year where I beat that kid up, a girl I thought I was going to get didn't show any kind of interest, my boss put me on a shift I couldn't really do and I had some kind of guilt trip and I'm still trying to find time to practice basketball.

I wish the answers to these problems were easier :(

I think you need to have a talk with your parents and tell them really how much it means to you... if it means enough. If they are reasonable people, they will listen to you.

You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself though. Man up and take what you get out of life and respond well to it.

carpevicis 09-09-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I think you need to have a talk with your parents and tell them really how much it means to you... if it means enough. If they are reasonable people, they will listen to you.

You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself though. Man up and take what you get out of life and respond well to it.

Yeah I know, I tried that but they didn't take me seriously and when they did they told me that basketball was a game and a leisurely activity which came second to school and some other stuff on how if I kept spending all my time playing I wouldn't be able to secure a high paying job in the future and that kind of mess. They couldn't really see it from my point of view so I just left it at that and I didn't bother bringing it up again.

And you're right about that I need to stop complaining. I need to go with what happens and make the best of my situations.

Swaggin916 09-09-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know, I tried that but they didn't take me seriously and when they did they told me that basketball was a game and a leisurely activity which came second to school and some other stuff on how if I kept spending all my time playing I wouldn't be able to secure a high paying job in the future and that kind of mess. They couldn't really see it from my point of view so I just left it at that and I didn't bother bringing it up again.

And you're right about that I need to stop complaining. I need to go with what happens and make the best of my situations.

And stop making excuses. If they won't support you playing basketball at a college, then support yourself. You always have options so you can't ***** about anything. I had the option of resting so my injuries recovered, and I had the option of playing and never letting myself heal. I did the latter and now I'm suffering the consequences. That's just how life goes... the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. I've only just figured it out recently and I'm 21... so if you can do it now while you are still in HS, you will be straight.

carpevicis 09-09-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

And stop making excuses. If they won't support you playing basketball at a college, then support yourself. You always have options so you can't ***** about anything. I had the option of resting so my injuries recovered, and I had the option of playing and never letting myself heal. I did the latter and now I'm suffering the consequences. That's just how life goes... the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. I've only just figured it out recently and I'm 21... so if you can do it now while you are still in HS, you will be straight.

Yeah I feel pretty dumb now cause I'm not even following the stuff I preach. So how would it work out if I wanted to play D3 for maybe 1 or 2 years and then decided to transfer colleges? Would I have to retake the standardized tests again, and reapply?

If I managed to get a scholarship to an NAIA school, would it cover me for 4 years? What are some of the things I'd have to keep in mind and start planning/saving for? A car, housing, food, a job, what else? I've never lived by myself for 2 years on my own income so what should I look out for?

dwadefan11 09-09-2010 07:11 PM

Man just do what you can and sees where it goes... if at the end of the day a D3 school wants you or NAIA does then when the time comes your parents might change their minds because they can talk to the coach or assistant coach and see that its legit. And if no one recruits you... then just go about your regular college stuff and do what yor parents want... you dont have to decide now man I'm in the same boat and it may feel like time is closing in but you still got time.

carpevicis 09-09-2010 09:42 PM

Yeah that's what I'll end up doing. Who knows, maybe I'll end up playing intramurals or something but either way, whether it's pickup or IM or the team, I'm definitely going to try to be the best on the court. I've always wanted to be that guy in pickup who is clearly better and destroys everyone else on the court.

Swaggin916 09-09-2010 10:53 PM

You can always go to community college too... Honestly it will save your parents a ton of money and you can get a taste of college ball. If you make it and do well, maybe you garner some interest from a D-2 school or something and you make believers out of your parents.

There are a lot of options out there... make sure you take the time to think them all through and weigh them out.

carpevicis 09-10-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

You can always go to community college too... Honestly it will save your parents a ton of money and you can get a taste of college ball. If you make it and do well, maybe you garner some interest from a D-2 school or something and you make believers out of your parents.

There are a lot of options out there... make sure you take the time to think them all through and weigh them out.

Sounds good, I'll definitely take a look at that. I'll be spending some time looking at different schools in my preferable regions. Definitely keep you updated.

lilojmayo 09-12-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Yeah I feel pretty dumb now cause I'm not even following the stuff I preach. So how would it work out if I wanted to play D3 for maybe 1 or 2 years and then decided to transfer colleges? Would I have to retake the standardized tests again, and reapply?

If I managed to get a scholarship to an NAIA school, would it cover me for 4 years? What are some of the things I'd have to keep in mind and start planning/saving for? A car, housing, food, a job, what else? I've never lived by myself for 2 years on my own income so what should I look out for?

dude chill, just try to get better each and everytime you step on a court. Everybody has a different ceiling, and take care of business in the classroom.

Then whatever happens happens.

carpevicis 09-12-2010 10:35 AM

I went over the ideas I had after HS with my parents yesterday and they said it was fine and that I didn't have to decide right away. I told them I still put school first but if I had the chance to play and go to a great school I'd have to think it over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilojmayo
dude chill, just try to get better each and everytime you step on a court. Everybody has a different ceiling, and take care of business in the classroom.

Then whatever happens happens.

Yeah that's the plan I'm going to follow, I don't have to make the decision now so I'm just going to improve, be the best I can be and when the time comes weigh my options.