Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Earl Barron?? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191404)

dd24 09-27-2010 12:57 PM

Earl Barron??

Quote:

The Pistons have been in contact with representatives of free agent center Earl Barron, league sources have confirmed to RealGM. Barron is currently in negotiations with several teams. RealGM

Well, it looks like Joe D is still trying to get another C. That tells me he probably has looked into Dampier as well. Honestly, neither are the solution to what we need.

boozehound 09-28-2010 03:10 PM

Re: Earl Barron??

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Well, it looks like Joe D is still trying to get another C. That tells me he probably has looked into Dampier as well. Honestly, neither are the solution to what we need.

apparently Ike Diogu is at the camp. Surprised the ASU kid never stuck anywhere, but hes basically a similar player to maxiell imo.

Nastradamus 09-28-2010 07:10 PM

Diogu was worth inviting, though he probably wont' make it. He has some size and talent I guess.

Obviously Earl Barron won't be our Dwight Howard, but getting a guy who can play C and help a little at both ends would be huge IMO. We can't expect Tim Duncan to come here. I have wondered why we didn't go after guys like Barron and Fesenko. We need some size on this roster.

Who knows what Barron will become, but the guy came in for 5-10 games last year and put up 11 and 11 on average. Hard for me to think he can't contribute at all.

overall, I think our big guy situation is better than people think. Ben was very good last year, Monroe is a top notch talent and Charlie V has been in the gym working harder and more consistently than any other Piston this summer according to Joe D. I have high hopes for him. I think he is a longer, more athletic Al Harrington and that is a player who can help your team quite a bit. If he works harder on D, he will be a special player, a middle class man's Rasheed or something. Maxiell provides nice energy as can Jerebko and Wilcox and maybe Barron/Dampier provide depth and defense.

We need a top notch big to win a title, but on most nights, we are going to outscore people pure and simple. Its not like our D will be horrible. We have lots of length on the perimeter to help protect our bigs and guys like Stuckey,Bynum,Rip,Prince and Jerebko are all good defenders. BG has worked at it more in recent years and Mcgrady used to defend before the knee issues. Daye is what he is, but at least he brings more length and he has bulked up a bit this summer and worked really hard.

dd24 09-28-2010 08:45 PM

I think the Diogu experiment is more of an extra body for practice for training camp. Detroit obviously doesn't need another 6'9" PF/C. He's not that big body we're looking for. Barron has a little promise I suppose, but it seems like if he was anything special Miami would have wanted him to return since they could have used a C a while ago (of course now they have 4).

Nastradamus 09-30-2010 12:21 AM

Barron was with NY right? Or was he with Miami before that or something?

dd24 09-30-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Barron was with NY right? Or was he with Miami before that or something?

He played a few games with NY last year and actually put up some decent numbers. Again another team who needed a big man and didn't resign him. Yes, he did play with Miami before that.

Nastradamus 09-30-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

He played a few games with NY last year and actually put up some decent numbers. Again another team who needed a big man and didn't resign him. Yes, he did play with Miami before that.

I wonder if he's asking for too much money? Or maybe just sucks

Nastradamus 09-30-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

I think Dampier could help quite a bit actually. He isn't a post scorer, but good luck finding those. I'd love to see us go after Gortat or Varejao(why do they want to pay him with Bron gone? Plus he's just what we need to go back to Detriot style basketball).

dd24 09-30-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I wonder if he's asking for too much money? Or maybe just sucks

I was thinking the same thing.

As for Gortat or Varejao I wouldn't mind either, but I don't think they make anyone a contender necessarily, at least as a starter. I think Gortat is the better of the two though.

Nastradamus 10-02-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.

As for Gortat or Varejao I wouldn't mind either, but I don't think they make anyone a contender necessarily, at least as a starter. I think Gortat is the better of the two though.

Personally I prefer Vareajo, but its close enough not to matter.We might have an easier time making salaries work with Cleveland. I'm not sure that one of them isn't the answer to being a serious contender. All we are really lacking is a C who can defend at a high level. Both are very good against the pick and roll, where we struggle. I'm hoping Charlie V becomes much better at this this year.