Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How's holding the Heat to 86 for defense? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210994)

Bano114 02-27-2011 10:55 PM

How's holding the Heat to 86 for defense?

I know most of you probably saw that game. We just held arguably one of the best offensive teams in the league to 86.

The Knicks can play defense when they want to, if you ask me. This game proves it. The only problem is that D'Antoni isn't going to stress it so were only going to see defense in big games.

We need a coach who's going to push guys like Melo and STAT EVERY play to play defense. We could be such a great team.

Also, enough props can't even be given to Bill Walker. He hustled hard and it seemed like the majority of the Knicks defensive plays, especially in the 4th quarter had him involved.

Also, the whole reason we won the game was a DEFENSIVE STOP. Amare's block on James was amazing, and the whole reason we won the game. I guess thats what happens when Athletic tries to go up against More Athletic.:cheers:

MightyWhitey 02-27-2011 11:00 PM

Re: How's holding the Heat to 86 for defense?

The NYK forced them to turn the ball over alot. And how many 24 second shot clock violations did they have? The NYK were good. Amare was clutch with the block. Mr. Bigshot was clutch with the 3. And Melo was all around good tonight.

I wish we play like this every game. Defense. We need Jeff Van Gundy back. He'll help the NYK with defense.

The Heat still outrebounded the NYK but I notice that STAT and Melo had a few offensive rebounds :cheers: Yes and this is what we need every game.

My only beef is way too many 3's. Just too many 3 pointers. They have to make better shot selections.

Draz 02-27-2011 11:32 PM

Not just that. We had a lot of fouls against us to, if we didn't have those fouls against us, we would of definitely pushed & scored on the other end, but this put us down numbers & did however increased theirs. If referees weren't corrupted, for this Miami Heat franchise, we would of held them under 50 tonight, lol.

mjc1241 02-28-2011 12:09 AM

Here is what I noticed, the PLAYERS took accountability for playing defense tonight. With seven minutes left in the game, Melo took it upon himself to stick LBJ straight up. If he continues to accept that challenge defensively, as well as all of the others players on the team, we will be alright. He showed that he can defend when he wants and it's not like George Karl preached good defense in Denver. (How in the hell does he get a pass??)
I also am tired of people talking about Melo not rebounding either. Last time I checked, Melo was THE leading rebounding small forward in the NBA:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1966/lebron-james
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3202/kevin-durant
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...1/seasontype/2
That being said, this is still a work in progress and if we commit to defend, we can make some serious noise in the playoffs and not just be an easy out in the first round.
Carter played some nice "in your chest" defense against Wade. RMJ and Kaz can be waived. Give me JJ and Earl Barron for the rest of the year and let's roll...

One more pet peeve of mine; we allow too many damn and ones. We need to knock some folks on their asses and not allow them to finish at the rim with continuation. That's good, clean hard basketball.....

Draz 02-28-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjc1241
That's good, clean hard basketball.....

No such thing as good, hard, clean basketball, especially in a season game / this era. Basketball, is turning out to be a ladies game. I don't think the WNBA calls this many calls & the rediculous fouls on women then they do to men.

What I want to see is hard sportsmanship competition. With that said Amare would be fierce.

mjc1241 02-28-2011 12:46 AM

The good ole days of b-ball in the 80's and 90's....I miss those...

Clutch 02-28-2011 12:47 AM

I missed the game,I didn't get up even if I wanted to :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

bigfrank34 02-28-2011 01:03 AM

Excellent job defensively from the last part of the first half to the end. However, we are still learning how to play with each other. Many of our turnovers were because we, as a team haven't learned how to operate together. Poor spacing, but our defense really helped us (when Miami has to play half court they seem lost). With that being said, you know Miami is aiming hard at us for the next game. So we need help inside to help battle. I hope Earl Barron and Jefferies can join us soon and contribute. Not sure if we'll have the same outcome against Orlando. But if we do, teams would have to look at us seriously as a playoff contender.

AirTupac 02-28-2011 01:22 AM

Keep it up Billups!

Enjoy NYK fans! Mr.Big Shot is here. :pimp:

franchize 02-28-2011 10:56 AM

Anyone notice how many Knicks fans were there last night?I know my dad was there.You think it may be because of the large Hispanic population?My boy,who used to live in Florida,says theres a lot of NYers in Florida.

Clutch 02-28-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfrank34
Excellent job defensively from the last part of the first half to the end. However, we are still learning how to play with each other. Many of our turnovers were because we, as a team haven't learned how to operate together. Poor spacing, but our defense really helped us (when Miami has to play half court they seem lost). With that being said, you know Miami is aiming hard at us for the next game. So we need help inside to help battle. I hope Earl Barron and Jefferies can join us soon and contribute. Not sure if we'll have the same outcome against Orlando. But if we do, teams would have to look at us seriously as a playoff contender.

I don't think we play against them anymore this season.
Who knows,maybe we will play against them in the playoffs.

bluechox2 02-28-2011 11:58 AM

season series is tead 2-2, we meet them in the playoffs next. book it

Snoop_Cat 02-28-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
Anyone notice how many Knicks fans were there last night?I know my dad was there.You think it may be because of the large Hispanic population?My boy,who used to live in Florida,says theres a lot of NYers in Florida.

Well Florida IS where a lot of NYers go to retire after all lols.
I also noticed it though, NY fans giving each other high fives in the crowd on TV

Bano114 02-28-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize

My whole family is from NY and nearly my whole family moved to Florida. I have literally 40+ relatives around Tampa. And if you are wondering, yes they are hispanic.

bluechox2 03-01-2011 12:00 AM

new jersey is where we keep our (shit)trash and florida is were we go to retire