Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Carmelo Physical Defender (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215785)

Christofire 03-31-2011 03:48 AM

Carmelo Physical Defender

another game where he exhibits his defense....Why Carmelo why dont we see you do this a bit more consistently. When he defends i think he;s one of the better on ball defender among the superstar players because of his physicality and his ability to deal with physical offensive players. It's nice to see him go to work on that end. Hopefully he keeps up where he's left off defensively in the last 2 post seasons.

imdaman99 03-31-2011 03:54 AM

Re: Carmelo Physical Defender

Werd. Because if hes worried about him running out of energy on offense, he shouldn't. His last 2 games were great games offensively and defensively. I approve of him getting the key to my city. Until Stat earns it back.

fubu05 03-31-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christofire
another game where he exhibits his defense....Why Carmelo why dont we see you do this a bit more consistently. When he defends i think he;s one of the better on ball defender among the superstar players because of his physicality and his ability to deal with physical offensive players. It's nice to see him go to work on that end. Hopefully he keeps up where he's left off defensively in the last 2 post seasons.

:no:

Dude was working hard in the WCF against the Lakers. His defensive improvement that post-season is what really pushed them that far, Chauncey really helped him out with that.

Last post-season he was not good at all though. He'll probably put in the effort this year though.

NuggetsFan 03-31-2011 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fubu05

Last post-season he was not good at all though. He'll probably put in the effort this year though.

He was consistently in foul trouble. Weather it stupid defense fouls or the ton of offensive fouls he got.

Melo's an average defender. He's no worse than a Kevin Durant. Some people like to act like it's '05 again or something. When he puts the effort forth he can be slightly above average or solid imo. Problem is he's inconsistent. He can have a game or two of solid defense than next game be completely awful. He's late on rotations and can commit stupid fouls(esp when closing out on the shooter). An underrated part of his defense has always been his ability to guard post players around his size. He has the strength to not get bullied down low and actually seem to be quite aware of defensive stances when in that position.

In a 7 games series doubt you can expect him to be a good defender. Just like in a season he'll never bring the consistency to be labeled a good defender. Doesn't mean he can't give you alright defense he and there and solid defense every once an awhile. Usually steps up to defend depending on opponent as well. He'll try and stop LeBron where as if somebody who isn't an All-Star is draining buckets on him you can see his motivation differs.

My take anyways.

Christofire 03-31-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fubu05

Dude was working hard in the WCF against the Lakers. His defensive improvement that post-season is what really pushed them that far, Chauncey really helped him out with that.

He better put in the effort New York will not hesitate on giving him an earful if he doesnt. Melo just has a bad rep for being nothing but a scorer even though he's become a quality defender.

Christofire 03-31-2011 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
He was consistently in foul trouble. Weather it stupid defense fouls or the ton of offensive fouls he got.

Melo's an average defender. He's no worse than a Kevin Durant. Some people like to act like it's '05 again or something. When he puts the effort forth he can be slightly above average or solid imo. Problem is he's inconsistent. He can have a game or two of solid defense than next game be completely awful. He's late on rotations and can commit stupid fouls(esp when closing out on the shooter). An underrated part of his defense has always been his ability to guard post players around his size. He has the strength to not get bullied down low and actually seem to be quite aware of defensive stances when in that position.

In a 7 games series doubt you can expect him to be a good defender. Just like in a season he'll never bring the consistency to be labeled a good defender. Doesn't mean he can't give you alright defense he and there and solid defense every once an awhile. Usually steps up to defend depending on opponent as well. He'll try and stop LeBron where as if somebody who isn't an All-Star is draining buckets on him you can see his motivation differs.

My take anyways.

I don't no Bro...the defense he put on Dirk 2 post season ago was phenomenal dirk worked for every bucket. He's an above average defender when he plays defense IMO. It all depends on his mindset which messes with his consistency. melo tends to drift mentally and loses sight of the goal. But i expect him to surprise alot fo peple in the first round with his defense especially if the Knicks play Miami.

NuggetsFan 03-31-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

I don't no Bro...the defense he put on Dirk 2 post season ago was phenomenal dirk worked for every bucket

That was Kenyon Martin for the most part. Nuggets constantly switch on D so kinda hard to use player vs player evaluations. Kenyon and guy's like AA(and D-Jones before) were the players to draw specific guy's to stick too.

Remember K-Mart working Dirk hard and making him work to get his points, but Dirk still had an excellent series. If memory serves me correctly anyways.

Christofire 03-31-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
That was Kenyon Martin for the most part. Nuggets constantly switch on D so kinda hard to use player vs player evaluations. Kenyon and guy's like AA(and D-Jones before) were the players to draw specific guy's to stick too.

Remember K-Mart working Dirk hard and making him work to get his points, but Dirk still had an excellent series. If memory serves me correctly anyways.

Love K-Mart he can guard any position and be effective

JMT 03-31-2011 04:15 AM

Part of being a defender is blocking out on the boards. Someday, when he actually attempts that, we can revisit this topic.

fubu05 03-31-2011 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Part of being a defender is blocking out on the boards. Someday, when he actually attempts that, we can revisit this topic.

Yeh defensive rebounding is his weakness.

IMO, he's the best offensive rebounding SF in the league, and one of the best offensive rebounders in the league. Needs to learn that he's not playing with K-Mart and Nene anymore though, he's gotta crash those boards.

iDunk 03-31-2011 06:22 AM

Yeah he's a great defender when he puts his head to it. He has to do it from quarter 1 to quarter 4 no matter who he's guarding. Like he said: if he does it, the whole team will pick up. He also has to learn to be physical without picking up a foul which he did great yesterday by boxing out.

NewYorkNoPicks 03-31-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

He's a very very solid man to man defender when he wants to be, thats why I don't buy into these assumptions people have that he can't play D.

You know what I think the problem is though honestly. It's his conditioning. He doesn't have that 48 minute fire that some players have. I remember Latrell Sprewell would play 42 minutes and be just as energized on both ends of the floor with 4 minutes left in the 4th as he was during the first posession of the game. Some guys just naturally have those genetics, whether it's hormones, or body type, or what. Carmelo, despite being strong, has kind of an untoned slightly soft body type; if you look at his arms for example he doesn't really look like he works out much (even though I'm sure he does). You've seen those types of guys in the gym, they're strong as an ox for a couple of reps, but they don't have the stamina to continue it for long periods of time. The type of guy who'll max out with 3 reps of 300lbs on the bench, but can only do 185 12 times. While you can look at a guy like D-Wade and he looks absolutely jacked.

It was also noted in Denver that Melo's diet isn't that good. Right before he was traded and he was on that scoring tear, right after he dropped 50 he attributed it to finally starting to eat healthy.

So I think it comes down to dieting and conditioning for him.

Andrei89 03-31-2011 08:08 AM

Love it how when New York win

Melo tha best!

Melo tha best defender!!!

And when New York lose, the same idiot posters

Melo sucks!~!!

Melo can't defend for his life!!!!

ISH is going to sh1t

Clutch 03-31-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei89
Love it how when New York win

Melo tha best!

Melo tha best defender!!!

And when New York lose, the same idiot posters

Melo sucks!~!!

Melo can't defend for his life!!!!

ISH is going to sh1t

There will always be that kind of posters.

I defended Melo since he came to the Knicks and I am on his side now.
He is excellent offensive player and we all know that.
But when he is motivated he is above average defender (not elite of course but above average) and a very good rebounder on both sides of the court.

Also,someone posted that he is the first Knick to score 35+ points in 3 consecutive games since Bernard King,his idol.

knickscity 03-31-2011 10:19 AM

Melo doesn't have to be a great defender all the time, just be a good one, and know when in the game, to crank it up.

The team will follow.