Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217671)

Jballer 04-13-2011 11:12 AM

Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Nothing radical here - much of it said on these boards.

Robson is quite well respected in the rags.

---

The Raptors will finish last in defensive efficiency for the second year in a row. And without Chris Bosh or Hedo Turkoglu, they are also scoring 5.2 fewer points per 100 possessions than a year ago and will suffer a net loss of at least 17 wins. The obvious scapegoat is Andrea Bargnani, who is not only a poor defender but also a volume shooter with below-average accuracy both inside and outside the three-point arc. Pairing him with a reluctant shooter like point guard Jose Calderon is how Toronto also ranks only 21st in offensive efficiency. The Raptors did show signs of ruggedness in the frontcourt from steadily improving rookie Ed Davis, energetic but foul-prone power forward Amir Johnson and rebounding fiend Reggie Evans, who could move on as a free agent after the season. But management needs to change the defensive culture, especially given the presence of Bargnani (who has four years and $41.5 million left on his contract) and second-year swingman DeMar DeRozan, whose dramatic development on offense ensures that he will be among the team leaders in minutes again.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1JPdD24Wq

Qwyjibo 04-13-2011 12:08 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

The Raptors will finish last in defensive efficiency for the second year in a row. And without Chris Bosh or Hedo Turkoglu, they are also scoring 5.2 fewer points per 100 possessions than a year ago and will suffer a net loss of at least 17 wins.
But but but the offense was supposed to be more free-flowing without a black hole ball stopper in the lineup!

DJMason 04-13-2011 12:29 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
But but but the offense was supposed to be more free-flowing without a black hole ball stopper in the lineup!


Clearly there is only one possible solution for this: to draft another big who shoots threes! Davis' lack of 3-point shooting has been our downfall.

/end sarcasm

bokes15 04-13-2011 02:24 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
I'm just glad this god aweful season is finally about to be over so we can have something to look forward to.

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 03:20 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15
I'm just glad this god aweful season is finally about to be over so we can have something to look forward to.


Yeahh same. Anyone know the dates of the lottery and the draft? :D

Reef 04-13-2011 03:59 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison_Barnes
Yeahh same. Anyone know the dates of the lottery and the draft? :D


Lottery is May 17th. Draft is June 23rd. The deadline to declare for the draft is April 24th I believe.

bluerap 04-13-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Question:

If the new CBA allows each team to release a player and shed the salary (as it did in 2005) - who would the raptors drop?

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 04:21 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef
Lottery is May 17th. Draft is June 23rd. The deadline to declare for the draft is April 24th I believe.


Thanks man!

Chamberlain 04-13-2011 05:37 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap
Question:

If the new CBA allows each team to release a player and shed the salary (as it did in 2005) - who would the raptors drop?


Verrrrrrry interesting.

And I don't know. Bargnani and Calderon make the most money, but theres no way we just drop them. Anyone else doesn't get paid enough or have years left to make it worth our while.

This kinda thing would be used for players like Marcus Banks when we had him, or Reggie Evans if he had more years left on his contract.

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 05:40 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Verrrrrrry interesting.

And I don't know. Bargnani and Calderon make the most money, but theres no way we just drop them. Anyone else doesn't get paid enough or have years left to make it worth our while.

This kinda thing would be used for players like Marcus Banks when we had him, or Reggie Evans if he had more years left on his contract.


I'm thinking Klezia..

I was going to say Amir, but well at least he contributes.

Klezia was the tank commander before getting injured.. and we aren't paying him a low salary either.

FCardelle 04-13-2011 06:18 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison_Barnes
I'm thinking Klezia..

I was going to say Amir, but well at least he contributes.

Klezia was the tank commander before getting injured.. and we aren't paying him a low salary either.

He got injured in the summer, so he was injured the entire season and we can't evaluate him based on those games. The Raptors doctors, as always, made him play through it until he broke definitely :(

BoogieWoogieMan 04-13-2011 06:26 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCardelle
He got injured in the summer, so he was injured the entire season and we can't evaluate him based on those games. The Raptors doctors, as always, made him play through it until he broke definitely :(


Same thing happened to Alvin Williams and his career ended because of it. :(

Chamberlain 04-13-2011 06:37 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Kleiza's tough to evaluate. He was terrible, but its true that he was injured. But I think he's a bit overpaid. I don't think that would be enough to justify dropping his contract, unless he told the team he wanted to return to Europe.

Doko 04-13-2011 07:13 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
But but but the offense was supposed to be more free-flowing without a black hole ball stopper in the lineup!


There's no point in having a free-flowing offense if you have just 4 players on the entire roster that can hit an open jumper.

BoogieWoogieMan 04-13-2011 07:18 PM

Re: Season Ending Scorecard - CNNSI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Kleiza's tough to evaluate. He was terrible, but its true that he was injured. But I think he's a bit overpaid. I don't think that would be enough to justify dropping his contract, unless he told the team he wanted to return to Europe.


I say give him a second chance, he played great during the Worlds and pre-season, showed a lot of composure and confidence in his shot selection. I felt he really cripple under pressure as soon as the season started and forced his shot taking in a lot of situations. (Reminded me of turkadodo)

Let's see how he respond for the next year, we're a rebuilding team so what do we got to lose?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy