Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kings end bid to move to Anaheim, will stay in Sacramento for 2011-12 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220415)

SoCalMike 05-02-2011 12:21 PM

Kings end bid to move to Anaheim, will stay in Sacramento for 2011-12

Despite months of negotiations with Anaheim arena officials that pushed the Sacramento Kings to the brink of relocating in Anaheim, the Maloof family has at least temporarily abandoned its plans to move to Orange County because of opposition to the move by the NBA.

Officials from Anaheim Arena Management, which had been in relocation negotiations with the Maloofs since September, were told of the family's decision early Monday morning.

The NBA is expected to issue a statement Monday morning announcing that the franchise will remain in Sacramento and not submit an application to move by Monday's twice-delayed relocation deadline. A statement from the Kings is expected to follow.

Source: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...arena-nba.html

If not already posted, its official.... thank goodness!

:pimp:

Faberg 05-02-2011 12:41 PM

Re: Kings end bid to move to Anaheim

Now all they need is a new arena.

Lakers13 05-02-2011 12:47 PM

Good, didn't need another franchise in so cal.

LaysUpBricks 05-02-2011 12:55 PM

:djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

The Ownage 05-02-2011 01:05 PM

:cheers:

lakerspng 05-02-2011 01:07 PM

good move by the maloofs. they would not have found a welcome home here in SoCal and I think they realized that.

Stay in sacto, where the fans love you and root for you... or wait a couple years as you build a arena in Vegas and then move there.

insidehoops 05-02-2011 01:09 PM

Update: The Kings themselves have now confirmed this news:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7620

Rake2204 05-02-2011 01:11 PM

Re: Kings end bid to move to Anaheim, will stay in Sacramento for 2011-12

For those in that area, what are your faults with Arco Arena? I ask this out of curiosity of course, not skepticism.

SpecialQue 05-02-2011 01:15 PM

Son...of...a...BlTCH!

Well, congrats Sac Town. I'm glad your owners did the right thing, even if my greedy as$ wanted a team closer to my hometown.

LaysUpBricks 05-02-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
For those in that area, what are your faults with Arco Arena? I ask this out of curiosity of course, not skepticism.

It's really old. It was built in 1988 and it only seats just over 17,000. Not enough seats, and it's just time for a new arena

bigkingsfan 05-02-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204

It's a run down arena, the NCAA didn't even want to host games here during the tourney because it's a POS.

Quote:

good move by the maloofs. they would not have found a welcome home here in SoCal and I think they realized that.
The Maloof wanted to move but had to pulled out in the final minute because of the disapproval by the NBA and they knew they wouldn't have enough votes. They came out looking bad in this, and it's going to take a while to repair their image with Sacramento.

franchise#3 05-02-2011 01:23 PM

I'm glad they're staying in Sacramento. All they now need is new arena there.

Rake2204 05-02-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaysUpBricks
It's really old. It was built in 1988 and it only seats just over 17,000. Not enough seats, and it's just time for a new arena

Thank you (and also to BigKingsFan). I am hopeful that whichever type of arena they decide to eventually build, it may still somehow remain as loud and fun as Arco seemed to be in its hayday.

LaysUpBricks 05-02-2011 01:45 PM

In the press release from the Maloofs they said that the NBA has approved the move for the 2012 season if no arena deal is in place in time.

crisoner 05-02-2011 02:55 PM

This is HUGE.
Great great news but now KJ and the Sacrmento area has to deliver a new arena with in a year. It's all on them.

But big victory for small market clubs in the NBA there is hope after all.