Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Colangelo drafting European? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223256)

Velocirap31 05-19-2011 12:26 AM

Colangelo drafting European?

Who thinks this will happen? Europeans appear to be his thing, but I have a feeling he may avoid some great European prospects in this draft since the NBA Euro team project of the last 5 seasons did not work out.

I'm hoping to be wrong because I think there are some great Euro players that will fall to #5.

Qwyjibo 05-19-2011 12:48 AM

Re: Colangelo drafting European?

If it's a good European who can do what is required of his position and be efficient on the floor, I'm fine with it. I like what I read about Valanciunas but of course that's just based on articles and it's still up to the Raptors scouts and management team to determine whether he and others will be worth a damn in the NBA.

If the Raptors get someone as productive as either of the Gasols, Tony Parker or even the Jose Calderon of a couple years ago then it's a good thing. Just no more lazy inefficient players like Bargnani and Turkoglu please. That goes for all nationalities.

DJMason 05-19-2011 09:59 AM

If his name starts with a K and ends in anter and for some reason he's on the board, then I'd be okay with it.

RaininThrees 05-19-2011 10:12 AM

If that European is a good basketball player, then he should draft that European.

I'm more concerned with skills and abilities than nationality. You shouldn't let your recent experience with the Raps prevail over all European basketball players.

That being said, Lord knows the Xenophobes will be out in full force, regardless of the abilities of the player based solely on the name.

Toni 05-19-2011 01:13 PM

Kanter, Valenciunas and Vesely all don't play the traditional "Euro" style. I would be alright with them. Montiejunas on the other hand would be a huge step in the wrong direction. He plays the game like Bargnani and is a horrible defender as well.

Kanter: Scores mostly on the block but has a bit of an outside jimmy that he uses from time to time. Decent frame but lacks height. Alright defender. Soft hands down low.

Valenciunas: Large wingspan. Decent rebounder. Very young, raw and slim. Needs to gain some weight and will take a few years to develop. Apparently he is very aggressive defensively but usually over aggressive and takes a lot of unnecessary fouls..

Vesely: Built from a mold of AK47. Long and strong. Very solid defensively, very raw offensively. Versatile and has decent quickness, lateral quicks and first step for a guy his size.

These three would all be gamble picks but I don't think we would have to worry about any of them on the defensive end.

bluerap 05-19-2011 01:44 PM

If ever there was a draft to go euro,this is it.

After Irving and Williams there is very little from NCAA.
In a normal draft knight, leonard and walker would be way down the board.

However, if you draft the val and he turns into the next M.Gasol or vessely and he turns into the next AK you look like a genius.

DJMason 05-19-2011 03:56 PM

Just listened to BC on the PTS podcast from last night's show and while talking about his top people he's interested in Montiejunas was not one of the names mentioned (I believe it was Knight, Walker, Kanter, Valenciunas and Biyombo). So basically if he drafts a Euro from that list, although it might be a project at least they'd be the right type of big for this team (i.e. one that plays defense and doesn't shoot teh threez)

Toni 05-19-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJMason
Just listened to BC on the PTS podcast from last night's show and while talking about his top people he's interested in Montiejunas was not one of the names mentioned (I believe it was Knight, Walker, Kanter, Valenciunas and Biyombo). So basically if he drafts a Euro from that list, although it might be a project at least they'd be the right type of big for this team (i.e. one that plays defense and doesn't shoot teh threez)

I'm surprised Vesely is not on that list. He's probably the most established European player in the draft, even before Kanter.

I would take a serious look at Vesely. His length and defense would be a huge asset for us at the 3 spot.

Harrison_Barnes 05-19-2011 10:27 PM

If hes good.. fine.

Himan12 05-19-2011 10:30 PM

Doesn't matter where he is from, just take the BPA

bokes15 05-19-2011 10:31 PM

Whatever the case may be, I just hope he takes the best player available.

edit: and trades Bargnani and/or Calderon.

keantona 05-19-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni
I'm surprised Vesely is not on that list. He's probably the most established European player in the draft, even before Kanter.

I would take a serious look at Vesely. His length and defense would be a huge asset for us at the 3 spot.

He actually did mention Vesely in addition to the ones DJMason listed.

I remember loads of people hating the idea of Bargnani and before him Villanueva playing the 3 because they were too big and slow to defend the position. Hopefully Vesely isn't as defensively inept as those two, but I'd still be wary of him at the 3, and we don't need a 4.

Toni 05-20-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keantona
He actually did mention Vesely in addition to the ones DJMason listed.

I remember loads of people hating the idea of Bargnani and before him Villanueva playing the 3 because they were too big and slow to defend the position. Hopefully Vesely isn't as defensively inept as those two, but I'd still be wary of him at the 3, and we don't need a 4.

Yeah I read that he isn't the quickest on the perimeter. He can have some trouble playing the 3 because of the inevitable difficulties of defending other quicker SFs on the perimeter. He's a little skinny to play inside as well so he's kind of stuck between the 3/4 positions.

He blocks a lot of shots and gets in the passing lanes for steals a lot due to his length. So he does provide a lot in terms of intangible defense although his ball handling, free throw shooting and other key aspects of his game are apparently severely lacking.

bokes15 05-20-2011 11:18 AM

Do you guys think that Kanter would be worth it if he drops to the 5? I specifically remember Toni and some others being higher on him that I am (admittedly I don't know a ton about him other than a few articles i've read and a couple of youtube highlights).

DJMason 05-20-2011 11:37 AM

I absolutely would take Kanter at 5, but there's no way he drops that far. My thoughts are Cleveland definitely nabs him at 4 if he's not taken at 3 since they'll already have Irving and won't need walker or knight, and I don't see Williams dropping to 4 so he wouldn't be available to him.

Have seen some vids and the guy has some nice post moves, a decent shot and although he doesn't block a ton fights for boards and seems to just have a knack for being in the right place to pick up boards/help on D.

Overall though, I think you need to role the dice on Walker or Knight and trade Calderon since I can't see Kanter being on the board and we certainly don't need another project big.