Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minnesota Timberwolves Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   It's Official - Ricky Rubio is part of the Wolf Pack (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225079)

BankShot 06-02-2011 01:37 PM

It's Official - Ricky Rubio is part of the Wolf Pack

Quote:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ricky Rubio is coming to Minnesota after all.

The Spanish point guard has agreed to join the Timberwolves next season, ending a drawn-out, delicate, two-year negotiation with the team that had many league observers believing he did not want to play in Minnesota.

A person with knowledge of the agreement confirmed to The Associated Press Wednesday night that Rubio will be in Minnesota next season, giving the woebegone Timberwolves a much-needed dose of good news.

The Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported that Rubio, whose Regal Barcelona team is in the Spanish league playoffs, signed a deal May 31, and a news conference would be held at the conclusion of the Spanish postseason.

The Timberwolves drafted Rubio fifth overall two years ago despite a buyout clause in his Spanish contract that topped $6 million. The enormity of the buyout, which would have come out of Rubio's own pocket, caused him to stay overseas rather than immediately come to the NBA, and there was talk that the precocious teenager did not want to play in Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6617479

BankShot 06-14-2011 03:11 PM

Re: It's Official - Ricky Rubio is part of the Wolf Pack

Even here in the Twin Cities, the average Wolves fan doesn't think too much about Ricky Rubio.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people simply expect him to fail because of how terribly managed the Wolves have been over the past few years.

BankShot 06-15-2011 02:31 PM

Is he changing his mind??? :facepalm

Quote:

BILBAO, Spain -- Recent comments made by Minnesota Timberwolves draft pick Ricky Rubio have raised questions about his future, despite reports earlier this month that his NBA arrival was imminent.

"We are talking with Barcelona and we will soon see," Rubio said after Barcelona beat Bilbao for the Spanish league title Tuesday night.

Earlier this month, The Associated Press and The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported that Rubio, the No. 5 pick in the 2009 NBA draft, finally had reached an agreement to join the Timberwolves after two seasons with Barcelona.

Despite Ricky Rubio's offensive struggles this season at Barcelona, he's still seen as the Timberwolves' point guard of the future.
The Timberwolves did not confirm those reports, which followed years of speculation that Rubio, 20, did not want to leave Europe or pay a multimillion-dollar buyout of his Barcelona contract out of his own pocket.

Rubio said he was "very happy" after Barcelona won the Spanish league title, according to the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo. "This title is the most widely appreciated. At last I have it and we must all be proud of it."

Timberwolves president David Kahn called Rubio "a virtuoso and somebody special" after drafting him in 2009. Kahn and agent Dan Fegan had an agreement to bring Rubio to the NBA that summer, but Rubio withdrew from that deal at the last minute after deciding he did not want to pay a $6 million-plus buyout.

With the passing of two seasons, Rubio's buyout from Barcelona has decreased to $1.4 million. The Timberwolves can contribute up to $500,000 of that amount under current league rules.

Rubio was faced with a difficult decision this spring -- sign with the Timberwolves and lock himself into the guaranteed money of the NBA's current rookie wage scale, while risking losing games of his first NBA season to a potential lockout, or wait to see what unfolds with the league's uncertain labor situation.

Rubio averaged 6.5 points per game on 39 percent shooting this season at Barcelona, where he dealt with a foot injury and fell out of the starting lineup. The Timberwolves believe Rubio will flourish in the NBA, where guards have more freedom to create than they do in the stricter offensive schemes common in the European game.

"He's gotten bigger and he plays outstanding defense, and because he's a pass-first guard he's going to be liked by everybody who plays with him," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said last year. Krzyzewski coached Team USA against Rubio and Spain in the Beijing Olympics.

Rubio dominated the junior circuit in Europe and turned professional at 14. His flashy style and baby face made him an instant sensation in Europe.

Although Rubio's stock dropped this season, the woeful Timberwolves -- winners of a combined 32 games the past two seasons -- remain in need of a point guard to feed the ball to Kevin Love and Michael Beasley.

insidehoops 06-17-2011 04:38 PM

The Wolves finally confirmed it today

“This is a day our organization and our fans have been eagerly awaiting from the moment we drafted him, and I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome Ricky to Minnesota,” said David Kahn, Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations. “Ricky’s skill set and feel for the game have made him one of the best young players in Europe for six years now, and at age 20 he’s still a young player with a lot of upside. I expect Ricky to enjoy a long and successful career here in Minnesota.”

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7803

JellyBean 06-17-2011 06:28 PM

There is so much hype for Rubio that I dont think that he will measure up to that hype. I am glad that he is coming to the twin city but....:confusedshrug:

BankShot 06-19-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyBean
There is so much hype for Rubio that I dont think that he will measure up to that hype. I am glad that he is coming to the twin city but....:confusedshrug:

Depends on which hype to which you are listening....

ESPN and the NBA want to hype him as another bridge to a partnership between European pro ball and the NBA.

Casual fans have heard of him for four years, have seen highlights, and thus see him as a Nash-type baller with Elite size for the PG position.

Rational T-Wolves fans see him as a potential upgrade on Ridnour/Flynn, but one that will need proper coaching, mentoring, and development.

Personally, I'm optimistic but hesitant. I know he's not an immediate solution, nor do I believe he'll be ready to step in on Day One and contribute like the hype machine may suggest.

Either way, I'm stoked he'll finally make his way to Minneapolis this year.... and I hope I can run into him somewhere some way :roll:

GoldMedallist 06-20-2011 09:07 AM

As a Spanish fan, I can tell you what you will see from Ricky.

He has played quite bad this season, but Rubio has the skills who need a PG in the NBA. He is quick, he is a great passer (but he makes so stupid passes too, Jason William's style) and a good defender. The NBA style fits him, and you will see good pick'n roll with him and Kevin Love.

Flaws: Shooting. The guy cannot hit a shot to save his life. At this point he is a horrible shooter, and he need an specific coach for that, and a ton of hours training.

It's not impossible to improve that, though. For example, Calderon was a horrible shooter when he was younger, and he became a great one with 2 years of specific training. If he can do it you can have a top 10 PG in the league. He could be a quite good roleplayer, but not a star.

$LakerGold 06-22-2011 02:34 AM

Wasnt he the guy that told the t-wolves to imrpove their team first? and then he'll join and now hes struggling in barcelona - he suddenly wants in? wow :applause:

JellyBean 06-23-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BankShot
Depends on which hype to which you are listening....

ESPN and the NBA want to hype him as another bridge to a partnership between European pro ball and the NBA.

Casual fans have heard of him for four years, have seen highlights, and thus see him as a Nash-type baller with Elite size for the PG position.

Rational T-Wolves fans see him as a potential upgrade on Ridnour/Flynn, but one that will need proper coaching, mentoring, and development.

Personally, I'm optimistic but hesitant. I know he's not an immediate solution, nor do I believe he'll be ready to step in on Day One and contribute like the hype machine may suggest.

Either way, I'm stoked he'll finally make his way to Minneapolis this year.... and I hope I can run into him somewhere some way :roll:

I have tried to stay up to date on his whereabouts since we drafted him and what I saw...was mixed. I love his pass first mindset. He has great leadership skills, creative, and a ton of other great attributes. The thing that worries me is: he is turnover prone, can't fight through screens, limited mid-range game, can't shoot off the dribble. But like you, I am willing to give Rubio a chance. I mean he is all that we have. I really don't like Flynn. I like Luke Ridnour..but he can't play defense. So, it is on Rubio now. I hope that he can bring the goods...because we need for him to be better than good.