Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2011 Drew League (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225562)

raptorfan_dr07 06-06-2011 02:41 AM

2011 Drew League

Hey guys, summer's here again and that means the return of summer leagues. I posted a thread about it last summer. I went out today to the Drew League, the number one summer league in Los Angeles. Derozan, Weems, Dorsey, and Ed Davis all were there on a team including Michael Beasley, Austin Daye, Joe Smith, and the rapper The Game. Flavor Flav of Public Enemy fame and James Harden were in the crowd.

Derozan was very aggressive, attacking the rim almost every time he had the ball. Rarely settled for jumpers. His body control was amazing. He had several plays were he just hung in the air and elevated over every one for an easy lay in. The team ran a lineup at one point of Derozan, Weems, Davis, Dorsey, and Beasley, with Derozan at PG. His ball handling looked solid. Dorsey actually showed an ability to take his man off the dribble and get to the rim. His rebounding was on point and he had a few nice blocks. Weems and Davis didn't do much, Weems was forcing the issue a bit and Davis looked a bit timid, although after what happened last summer in a pick up game, I don't blame him. Davis is much longer in person than I thought. Dorsey is clearly bigger than him, but Davis is long and tall. Definitely has the tools to become a solid defender and rebounder.

Here's a video I took of Derozan getting an and 1 and converting the three point play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxsHCkG4KA

The_Night_Elf 06-06-2011 08:30 AM

Re: 2011 Drew League

That's pretty cool. Hope this helps with developing chemistry between them. Keep us posted...

BoogieWoogieMan 06-06-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07

The team ran a lineup at one point of Derozan, Weems, Davis, Dorsey, and Beasley
, with Derozan at PG. His ball handling looked solid. Dorsey actually showed an ability to take his man off the dribble and get to the rim. His rebounding was on point and he had a few nice blocks.

Here's a video I took of Derozan getting an and 1 and converting the three point play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxsHCkG4KA

that could have been the Raptor's team if we accepted that offer from Miami. I still have mix feelings about it.

bokes15 06-06-2011 11:25 AM

very cool man. thanks for the updates once again. Derozan always seems to dominate in these summer leagues. I hope over this summer he improves his ball handling, defense, rebounding, and his inconsistent jumper.

bokes15 06-06-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
that could have been the Raptor's team if we accepted that offer from Miami. I still have mix feelings about it.

The thing is, it's not like Beasley would've been a financially crippling piece anyways. Worst case scenario, we would've dished out about 10M total for the 10-11 and 11-12 season and at that point either decide if he's worth it, and if not cut him or trade him. At this point I don't really care anymore that we don't have Beasley but I wouldn't have been against the move.

BoogieWoogieMan 06-06-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15
The thing is, it's not like Beasley would've been a financially crippling piece anyways. Worst case scenario, we would've dished out about 10M total for the 10-11 and 11-12 season and at that point either decide if he's worth it, and if not cut him or trade him. At this point I don't really care anymore that we don't have Beasley but I wouldn't have been against the move.

I think the only factor/reason for BC not to accept Beasley onto the team, is because of his personality. He wasn't really a hard worker and he has already been to rehab before the age of 24. He probably didn't want him to influence the younger players on the team and set a bad example. that's my take.

Toni 06-06-2011 04:46 PM

We would have gotten Beasley, Chalmers and Anthony in that trade. I am really pissed off we didn't pull the trigger to be honest. Such a low risk-high reward trade for some young players with potential and a defensive Canadian center.

Kinda cool how The Game plays with the rest of the Compton boys.

bokes15 06-06-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni
We would have gotten Beasley, Chalmers and Anthony in that trade. I am really pissed off we didn't pull the trigger to be honest. Such a low risk-high reward trade for some young players with potential and a defensive Canadian center.

Kinda cool how The Game plays with the rest of the Compton boys.

Anthony and Chalmers too? Man in that case I would've definitely pulled the trigger 110%.

Chamberlain 06-06-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
I think the only factor/reason for BC not to accept Beasley onto the team, is because of his personality. He wasn't really a hard worker and he has already been to rehab before the age of 24. He probably didn't want him to influence the younger players on the team and set a bad example. that's my take.

Definitely should have made that trade in hindsight. We still would have been a bad team, but we'd have more flexibility and assets.

Anthony
Bargnani
Beasley
DeRozan
Calderon

Not even bad. Add in a couple lottery picks and you just never know.

bokes15 06-06-2011 05:57 PM

^^ Not even in hindsight. That's a good deal back then too!

Anthony + Chalmers + Beasley + draft picks for Bosh is better than:

Bosh for draft picks + trade exception

Only thing is then we'd really have to expedite getting rid of Evans and one of our point guards. But that wouldn't have been that huge a deal I don't think.

kmart 06-06-2011 06:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it was Beasley and Beasley only. Miami wouldn't give up cheap role players that they needed to compliment for the price tag of the big 3 would they?

Chamberlain 06-06-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmart
I'm pretty sure it was Beasley and Beasley only. Miami wouldn't give up cheap role players that they needed to compliment for the price tag of the big 3 would they?

It was the rumored deal.

bokes, I agree. The only reason people were against the trade was because of Beasley's character concerns, and they haven't been an issue in Minnesota to my knowledge. Minnesota shipped off a 2nd rounder for him.. pathetic.

Toni 06-06-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmart

I am 80% certain I seen a rumored deal for Bosh involving Beasley, Chalmers and Anthony. I`ll try and find some proof.

EDIT: Here`s plenty in a simple Google search. Could have just been rumors though.

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl...770&bi h=1081

hassano 06-06-2011 10:21 PM

some more footage from a Derozan retweet

http://www.ballislife.com/video/dema...ichael-beasley

lilbeastnani 06-06-2011 10:29 PM

Man, the overrating of Demar Derozan continues. He's more or less the same player he was the past 2 years, only difference is he learned one spin move. Other than that, he got a lot more minutes, twice as many field goal attempts, and subsequently twice as many points, but his handles, his passing ability, his defense, and his rebounding remained very much the same. I've heard people saying he has an Andre Igoudala ceiling but i'm seeing more along the lines of a one dimensional guy like O.J. Mayo who will be solid but won't get a whole lot better over the course of his career.