Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hot draft rumour! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2284)

DoubleTech 06-21-2006 12:50 PM

Hot draft rumour!

courtesy of the toronto sun, i'll edit with a link a bit later.

basically says, #1 + alvin for #3 + brevin knight

with the raptors most likely drafting bargnani and the bobcats going for morrison.

awesome trade for the raps... fills our starting PG hole, moves the final 2 years of alvin's contract for something very useful (brevin) and we get the guy we want at a much cheaper cost.

B E A U T I F U L :cheers:

Qwyjibo 06-21-2006 12:56 PM

This rumour has come up several times now so I won't dismiss it immediately like I do with everything else that comes from the Sun.

Good deal for the Raptors. The Knight for Alvin swap is clearly in the Raptors favour. I'll be surprised if Alvin ever plays more than 15 games in a season again and Brevin Knight, while no star, is a decent stopgap solution at starting PG until the draft/offseason next year. He's small but energetic on D, doesn't have a good shot but is a good playmaker.

The #1 for #3 is fine since Bargnani should still be there at 3.

insidehoops 06-21-2006 01:09 PM

Brevin Knight would be a nice addition, and in this draft #3 is as good as #1, unless bargnani is somehow as awesome as some suggest

DoubleTech 06-21-2006 01:15 PM

jeff, you post in the raptor fam semi often... a closet raptor fan maybe? :D

also, here's a cool vid and analysis of bargnani if others have not seen it yet.

basically shows some clips of what bargnani could do a year ago vs our very own raptor squad

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/...bargnani_a.asx

basically shows bargnani blowing by bosh on the perimeter, as well as showing off his nice shooting stroke.

J Miles 23 06-21-2006 01:20 PM

its a good deal IMO...but what does that mean for Roko? cuz we would have 3 pgs if he comes over..thats not too good for progressing Roko or Jose

and i don't think this necessarily means were gonna take Bargani cuz if the Bulls are set on Tyrus then we can still get Alridge

are the Bobcats doin this to get something for Brevin..cuz raps and bulls arn't drafting morrison

Orealius 06-21-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Miles 23
its a good deal IMO...but what does that mean for Roko? cuz we would have 3 pgs if he comes over..thats not too good for progressing Roko or Jose

and i don't think this necessarily means were gonna take Bargani cuz if the Bulls are set on Tyrus then we can still get Alridge

are the Bobcats doin this to get something for Brevin..cuz raps and bulls arn't drafting morrison

Roko may not even come over this year. His buyout is probably too much but if he does he can play some 2 guard for us. The Cats do this trade because they want Morrison and they are afraid of some other team trading with us to take Morrison #1. I love this trade, it's the best one from all the rumors surrounding the #1 pick. I'd just rather have us draft Aldridge at #3 if he's there instead of Bargnani.

Brevin, Mo, Charlie, Bosh, Aldridge :banana:

Get out d'salami 06-21-2006 01:47 PM

Toronto Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Alvin Williams
6-5 PG from Villanova
1.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9.0 minutes
#1 Pick
Incoming
Brevin Knight
5-10 PG from Stanford
12.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 8.8 apg in 34.0 minutes
#3 Pick
Change in team outlook: +11.6 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +8.8 apg.

Charlotte Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Brevin Knight
5-10 PG from Stanford
12.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 8.8 apg in 34.0 minutes
#3 Pick
Incoming
Alvin Williams
6-5 PG from Villanova
1.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9.0 minutes
#1 Pick
Change in team outlook: -11.6 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -8.8 apg.

Review
Getting rid of alvins contract which runs another year as well as picking up Brevin knight is a win for the raps. The number 3 is arguably the same as the number 1 and unless there is someone we have to have I'm fine with any of the two gone (Aldridge, Tyrus, Morrison). If this trade goes through I'm happy but only if nothing else is on the board that tops it. However, I'm a really believe that Brevin could come into the Raptors with all the offensive fire-power and lead the league in assists... perhaps even break double digits?
Anyways what do you all think?

DoubleTech 06-21-2006 01:49 PM

roko won't be coming over this year... he's just not ready yet. needs to show he can produce in europe before we bring him over here.

and its not like we're in a rush to bring him over anyways, we own his rights for however long it takes for him to get ready for the NBA.

and O is 100% right in that Charlotte does this trade to ENSURE that their man (morrison) will be in a bobcats uniform next season. as reported in another thread, as many as 6 other teams are looking to move up to the 1 or 2 spot in the draft.

Qwyjibo 06-21-2006 01:50 PM

Roko is more of a combo guard (like Alvin used to be) anyways.

If he were to come over then he'll likely play backup minutes at both PG and SG.

This deal is good since it's very likley that Charlotte will be going after Morrison or Roy leaving at least one of the 2 bigs (Bargnani or Aldridge) for the Raptors. I wonder how pissed Colangelo would be if the Bulls took Bargnani though...

Get out d'salami 06-21-2006 01:54 PM

what really amazes me is thinking about how bleak our team looked two years ago... but i never realized it. I know if we had losing seasons every year I would still watch every game. Now to see how the team is coming together is really exciting. GO RAPS 06-07 playoffs!!!:banana:

DoubleTech 06-21-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get out d'salami
what really amazes me is thinking about how bleak our team looked two years ago... but i never realized it. I know if we had losing seasons every year I would still watch every game. Now to see how the team is coming together is really exciting. GO RAPS 06-07 playoffs!!!:banana:

how many raptor games are broadcasted out in BC?

or maybe you have satellite... doh.

23jordan23 06-21-2006 02:03 PM

Its a alright deal im not impressed as much people i think its amazing that it gets reid of Alvin Williams Contract..But as i said in previous forums Brevin knight to me is a bench guard and hes not a long term hes ur typical X's n O point guard but say we make the playoffs i dont brevin is good enough to compete with the Chauncey billips,Jason Kidd's of the leauge..hes a poor mans version of eric snow and eric snow aint even that spectacular.especially we dont have the bonus scoring to the point guard spot that Mike james gave us when Bosh and Villeneuva was off there games..hes not a promising guard..but the deal is good in the sense were not loosing anything ..but id prefer them to do sumthin more long term eg: a sebastian telfair type guard that can dish the ball as good as any guard hes quick..and has sum scoring punch to him also and most of all young..and no im not sayin Sebastian is amazin hes a good young guard with potential .

DoubleTech 06-21-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23jordan23
Its a alright deal im not impressed as much people i think its amazing that it gets reid of Alvin Williams Contract..But as i said in previous forums Brevin knight to me is a bench guard and hes not a long term hes ur typical X's n O point guard but say we make the playoffs i dont brevin is good enough to compete with the Chauncey billips,Jason Kidd's of the leauge..hes a poor mans version of eric snow and eric snow aint even that spectacular.especially we dont have the bonus scoring to the point guard spot that Mike james gave us when Bosh and Villeneuva was off there games..hes not a promising guard..but the deal is good in the sense were not loosing anything ..but id prefer them to do sumthin more long term eg: a sebastian telfair type guard that can dish the ball as good as any guard hes quick..and has sum scoring punch to him also and most of all young..and no im not sayin Sebastian is amazin hes a good young guard with potential .

toronto needs a veteran at the PG position to set up buckets for all the youth on our team. we need a distributor at the PG slot, not a scorer. and i seriously doubt you've watched much of brevin knight OR eric snow recently because they are not on the same level. snow is out there to bring the ball past half, then pass it to bron, while trying to play OK defense. knight lead the league in assists not too long ago, and is accustomed to playing with young players while providing leadership.

and telfair? OVERRATED. he's the 3rd string PG on a team as horrible as Portland... i dont want this pint sized PG or his shaq sized ego anywhere near the raptors.

also... we won't be missing james' offensive contributions whatsoever. bosh, charlie, joey, and our draft pick will all be looking for more touches next season... we need a distributor who can play solid D... and thats knight.

Qwyjibo 06-21-2006 02:32 PM

This isn't a huge deal or anything. Brevin Knight would be nothing more than a stop-gap player for a year or 2 until the Raptors either draft, sign or trade for a long-term option at PG.

He's a solid veteran presence that should give the Raptors some stability at the point and help them avoid being near the basement once again.

Rapsfan4life 06-21-2006 02:45 PM

Brevin Knight would be a nice fit. We could use his assists per game. He is not the greatest shooter in the world but we need a pass first point guard. We also save some amount of cap space since Alvin's contract is about 2 million more then Brevin's. We find our point guard, get Bargnani and off to free agency.