Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vince Carter makes massive donation to UNC (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232078)

insidehoops 08-11-2011 09:52 AM

Vince Carter makes massive donation to UNC

Vince just gave back to UNC in a big way:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8164

What do you think of the most when you think of Vince Carter's career?

And, how much do you think he has left?

Lucifer 08-11-2011 10:03 AM

Re: Vince Carter makes massive donation to UNC

I wonder how much he's donating to help humanity :facepalm

And VC, if not considered a star/1st option, has plenty left in him. Dude's a natural talent and the ultimate role player now.

Burgz 08-11-2011 10:29 AM

being from Toronto there's a lot to pick from

my favourite game was when he dropped 47 on the bucks after getting snubbed by team USA for Ray Allen. They'd put him on the team eventually but that was the game that put him on the map

there's always the events during and prior to the 2001 ECSF Game 7, but i wont speak on that :banghead:

in case you don't know which game i speak of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcVs7bJ63g

massive dunk at the end

pegasus 08-11-2011 11:01 AM

All I can do is :applause:

ZenMaster 08-11-2011 11:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1eAri_JjA

Noob Saibot 08-11-2011 11:56 AM

VC got scrilla. :pimp:

Kellogs4toniee 08-11-2011 12:12 PM

Good stuff. Doesn't matter what the motivation is, a donation to an alma mater is a donation regardless and will lead to improvements to the school that are tangible and will last a long-time.

Rake2204 08-11-2011 12:15 PM

First, I've been a huge Vince Carter fan throughout his NBA career, so I'm happy to see him make a contribution to a cause he found to be worthy. I think we can always be like "Pish, call me when he donates to starving children in Africa." But I'm cool with him sharing a portion of his large sum of money with something that is close to him (the North Carolina community). His donation will seemingly ease the financial burden amongst whoever was originally slated to cover $2.5 million of that cost. So I think it's a pretty cool gesture. Even for millionaires, $2.5 million is a lot money.

It probably goes without saying, but when I think of Vince Carter, I think of his spectacular dunks. I wasn't even a fan of his in college. As far as I knew, he was just Antawn Jamison's wingman. But the minute I saw that double pump reverse against Chris Mullin and Indiana his rookie year, I was hooked. It was a strange play because essentially I'd never seen anything like it. From there on out, for the following ten years, I was watching Sportscenter highlights whenever possible just to see what new, insane dunk he may have executed the night before.

I don't know how much he has left in his tank though. It's weird to see him still dunking with such ease (particularly in the offseason). It makes me think there's still something left. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I still hold out hope every night that he might provide a flashback finish.

Burgz 08-11-2011 12:47 PM

vince gives back to the community

when he was in Toronto he put up a brand new ball court in Dixon, he did christmas drives and would give away hundreds of thousands of dollars in presents a years at christmas

he did way more than his fair share for the youth and it was all out of his own pocket

i still hate on him for leaving but for those who are saying he shouldve donated it elsewhere im shocked because I know the kind of human being he was off the court.

few people know this but he actually bought a bigger house for his mom in Toronto than he bought himself.

Vince is a good guy, this donation is only one of the many good things he's done with his money

Rake2204 08-11-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz
vince gives back to the community

when he was in Toronto he put up a brand new ball court in Dixon, he did christmas drives and would give away hundreds of thousands of dollars in presents a years at christmas

he did way more than his fair share for the youth and it was all out of his own pocket

i still hate on him for leaving but for those who are saying he shouldve donated it elsewhere im shocked because I know the kind of human being he was off the court.

few people know this but he actually bought a bigger house for his mom in Toronto than he bought himself.

Vince is a good guy, this donation is only one of the many good things he's done with his money

Cool to hear. Always awesome to hear that type of thing about players.

code green 08-11-2011 01:13 PM

Funny this came up today. A buddy and I were watching the 2000 Dunk Contest yesterday....that's what i'll remember VC by 20 years down the road.

RobertdeMeijer 08-11-2011 02:25 PM

From my experience, young French men these days are more likely to know Vince Carter than Jean-Paul Sartre.

hawkfan 08-11-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
Vince just gave back to UNC in a big way:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8164

What do you think of the most when you think of Vince Carter's career?

And, how much do you think he has left?

Nice story. Good for Vince. Always been a great character guy.

You know what hawkfan is going to say - perfect for the Hawks at small forward at full MLE. He could come in and not have to be the go to guy, but he can provide scoring when the Hawks hit a drag on offense.

Closing out games: Crawford, Johnson, Carter, Smith, Horford - five guys who can put the ball in the basket.

v1ncelis 08-11-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
From my experience, young French men these days are more likely to know Vince Carter than Jean-Paul Sartre.

:lol True. Poor french guy.

Kevin_Gamble 08-11-2011 03:40 PM

It's great that he's giving back, but seriously, does UNC basketball program really need that money more than say UNC biomedical engineering program?

Let's not forget that tax payers are funding third of Carter's massive donation, since Carter can write it off his taxes.