Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   how many people have seen Andrea Bargani play? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2338)

KiNG 06-21-2006 02:59 PM

how many people have seen Andrea Bargani play?
 
i havent, and i was just wondering how good he was? anyone kno?

fatboy11 06-21-2006 03:17 PM

Basically, they're all (scouts, GMs) saying he's definitely not another Skita but probably won't be as good as Dirk. You know, those are the two automatic comparisons.

dwillreg 06-21-2006 03:26 PM

I saw him on youtube.com. He has a very smooth jump shot and he obviously looked good because it was a highlight real but I think he's the real deal.

disco 06-21-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Basically, they're all (scouts, GMs) saying he's definitely not another Skita but probably won't be as good as Dirk. You know, those are the two automatic comparisons.


Comparing him to Skita or Darko or other euro prospect who was in a similar situation before entering the draft is totally unfair. It doesn't make sense comparing him to other european just because they both come from europe. It's like comparing a player entering the draft straight from high school to a player who played 2 or 3 years in college. The difference between Bargnani and players like Skita and Darko is that Bargnani already plays in the top level in europe while Skita and Darko basically didn't play at all for their european clubs, and were drafted purely based on the potential.

I think the most reasonable comparison here would be Gasol, who was also young when entering the draft, but he too had played for a top class european team, and had just started to play really well for a big club. Bargnani is now in the same situation. I wouldn't necessarily pick him as number one, but he surely is more nba ready than Skita or Darko.

fatboy11 06-21-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco
Comparing him to Skita or Darko or other euro prospect who was in a similar situation before entering the draft is totally unfair. It doesn't make sense comparing him to other european just because they both come from europe. It's like comparing a player entering the draft straight from high school to a player who played 2 or 3 years in college. The difference between Bargnani and players like Skita and Darko is that Bargnani already plays in the top level in europe while Skita and Darko basically didn't play at all for their european clubs, and were drafted purely based on the potential.

I think the most reasonable comparison here would be Gasol, who was also young when entering the draft, but he too had played for a top class european team, and had just started to play really well for a big club. Bargnani is now in the same situation. I wouldn't necessarily pick him as number one, but he surely is more nba ready than Skita or Darko.

Everyone is going to compare him to Skita and Dirk. That is proven.

Find something written about him that involves comparisons that doesn't have Skita or Dirk's name in it. I challange you to do that.

I said he was better than Skita. He actually played in Italy for one of the best Euro teams.

disco 06-21-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Everyone is going to compare him to Skita and Dirk. That is proven.

Find something written about him that involves comparisons that doesn't have Skita or Dirk's name in it. I challange you to do that.

I said he was better than Skita. He actually played in Italy for one of the best Euro teams.


Yeah, you are right, those are the comparisons you mostly see. But I still think they are unfair an irrelevant. I think he is more or less in a same situation as gasol when he declared for draft. We'll see if Bargnani can do as well as Pau.

fatboy11 06-21-2006 07:05 PM

Skita, Dirk, and Andrea are the same type of player. Same style. That is what I'm comparing when I compare the three.

Skita is the worst case. Bargnani is most likely the middle ground. Dirk is the best case.

In terms of impact, I think Bargnani will have an impact much like Dirk did in his rookie year. His numbers won't blow your socks off, but he'll get valuable experience. I think whatever team drafts him needs to be dedicated to playing him.

disco 06-21-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Skita, Dirk, and Andrea are the same type of player. Same style. That is what I'm comparing when I compare the three.

Skita is the worst case. Bargnani is most likely the middle ground. Dirk is the best case.

In terms of impact, I think Bargnani will have an impact much like Dirk did in his rookie year. His numbers won't blow your socks off, but he'll get valuable experience. I think whatever team drafts him needs to be dedicated to playing him.


Yes, there are similarities in that both Skita and Bargnani are tall and can move pretty well. However, Bargnani has been guarding seven footer centers in the Italian playoffs and is better prepared to play under the basket than Skita or Dirk. He won't be a dominant inside player in the NBA, but he is not only a big man with outside game. He weighs 240, and can hold his own in the post. I get your point, but I think we are talking about a slightly different kind of a player here, and it is Gasol who is the euro player in NBA that is closest to what Bargnani is.

fatboy11 06-21-2006 07:17 PM

What is the strength of Dirk, Skita, and Andrea?

Shooting.

That is not Pau Gasol's strength. That is why I don't compare those two.

KiNG 06-21-2006 07:47 PM

most of these mock drafts i see have him #1, u think hes a better choice than morrison or thomas??

dwillreg 06-21-2006 08:45 PM

Bargnani is a similar player to Charlie V in the way he can either play the 3 or the 4. Toronto's GM likes versitial players and has spent a lot of time scouting Bargnani. I think Bargnani is one of the best players in the draft and will be a very good player in his career but the choice for the Rapters has to be Marcus Williams. Williams is simply an amazing passer that can shoot the 3 ball well and can penetrate. He is not fast, but is quick as lighting and can run a fast break well. The Rapters should find a way to trade down for Williams though because they could take him later in the draft but have to get him. I think a good comparison for Bargnani is Charlie V as well.

disco 06-23-2006 07:49 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
What is the strength of Dirk, Skita, and Andrea?

Shooting.

That is not Pau Gasol's strength. That is why I don't compare those two.


Yes, Bargnani can shoot, but does that also mean that Pittsnogle reminds Kobe because both can shoot?

Comparing Bargnani to Skita and (pre NBA) Dirk just doesn't make any sense at all. Bargnani is defending 7 ft centres, and has the strength to play inside. Skita was a 18 year old stick not able to do anything. when drafted. He was drafted only because he moved reasonably well and people had just fell in love with Dirk.

Yes, Bargnani's game is similar to Dirk's, but the scenario is different. Dirk hadn't palyed on the highest level in europe before drafted. Bargnani has already that and is a more developed inside player.

I am talking about the Pau Gasol of Barcelona, not the player he has developed into, and his final year in Spain was very similar to Bargnani's in Italy.

Him 06-23-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco
Comparing Bargnani to Skita and (pre NBA) Dirk just doesn't make any sense at all. Bargnani is defending 7 ft centres, and has the strength to play inside.
Yes, Bargnani's game is similar to Dirk's, but the scenario is different. Dirk hadn't palyed on the highest level in europe before drafted. Bargnani has already that and is a more developed inside player



I have seen no evidence of that at all:confusedshrug:

He looks weak, can run/drive but his driving ability is useless against quick athletic big men in the nba.

disco 06-23-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Him
I have seen no evidence of that at all:confusedshrug:

He looks weak, can run/drive but his driving ability is useless against quick athletic big men in the nba.


I am not saying he could defend shaq or duncan or any other good inside player in the nba, but he is used to defending inside. He defended Dalibor Bagaric (7'1/250?) in the Italian playoffs and did really well.

What I'm saying is that comparing him as a prospect to Skita or Dirk is not sensible. He could become a player like Dirk, but they have very different starting points for their nba careers. And comparing him to SKita is simply stupid.

Despite Bargnani's ability to move well, he has a strong body, unlike Skita or pre-nba Dirk. I was originally replying to a comment that Bargnani reminds them, and expressed my opinion that comparing him to young Pau Gasol makes much more sense.

I wouldn't draft Bargnani with the first pick, and I am not saying he is the best proscpect of this draft. All I am saying is that people who compare him as a draft prospect to someone like Skita or Darko probably base their opinions only to the fact that all three of them are tall and from europe.

DUKE 06-23-2006 06:30 PM

Yes he can guard big, slow, Bagaric but can he guard fast and let say "modern" center of NBA. I say no not a chance.
I saw him play against Cibona Zagreb in euroleague, he play... let just say he didn't play. he play first 5-6 min and he was that bed that coach Blatt throw him out. He play again later but he can't guard Damir Markota (SEcound round prospect in 2006 draft) He was to fast for him. Getin' three points and jump shot all over the court


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy