Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can Mario Chalmers be the Heat full-time starting point guard? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236442)

insidehoops 10-09-2011 10:45 AM

Can Mario Chalmers be the Heat full-time starting point guard?

Chalmers sometimes started, sometimes came off the bench for the Heat last season. But in general the PG spot was a weak point for Miami.

Is Chalmers good enough to be a full-game, starting PG for that team?

Skim-read this, and then comment:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8414

Meticode 10-09-2011 11:03 AM

Re: Can Mario Chalmers be the Heat full-time starting point guard?

Yes, he's good enough to be a starting point guard on that team. Although he will not control the ball mostly and he will not direct the team and what they do. LeBron and Wade will. So he'll be starting at PG, but he'll be playing the roll of SG.

Nets fan 93 10-09-2011 11:03 AM

As long as he plays with LeBron, Dwyane, and Chris. I don't see why not. He will be one of the better pgs on the market right now anyway. Unless the heat can package him with someone outside of the big three for an upgrade... They should just stick with him.

RRR3 10-09-2011 11:06 AM

For sure. And, IMO, LeBron and Wade should let him run the offense more and learn to play off the ball better.

Nick Young 10-09-2011 11:21 AM

Yes he's a legit PG, plays great defense, knows his role, clutch shooter, he can become the new Derek Fisher possibly

chips93 10-09-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Young
Yes he's a legit PG, plays great defense, knows his role, clutch shooter, he can become the new Derek Fisher possibly

this

he made some huge shots in the finals, if the heat had won, and he'd played the same way he did in real life, a lot more people would be talking about him.

donald_trump 10-09-2011 11:40 AM

chalmers is terrible defensively. man to man he just might be the worst on the heat team. he's great at picking pockets of unaware ballhandlers as the second man in, or just slapping it away on double teams.

other than that, he showed in the finals that he should be the starter. one of the few bright spots for the heat team along with dwyane wade.

RRR3 10-09-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donald_trump
chalmers is terrible defensively. man to man he just might be the worst on the heat team. he's great at picking pockets of unaware ballhandlers as the second man in, or just slapping it away on double teams.

other than that, he showed in the finals that he should be the starter. one of the few bright spots for the heat team along with dwyane wade.

:wtf: :no:

HylianNightmare 10-09-2011 11:43 AM

yes

Papaya Petee 10-09-2011 11:58 AM

Absolutely, if he improves his I.Q, decision making, and starts taking smarter shots he could be a very solid NBA PG.

Peteballa 10-09-2011 12:05 PM

Lol @ all of these posters who only saw him in the Finals saying "Oh yeah he's legit he's great blahblahblah"

He isn't a starting caliber PG on a Championship team. He had a fluke finals; I love Rio, but he isn't our PG of the future. He has been a mediocre-average player for the last 3 years. I will say this; if he learns how to defend properly as well as become a deadly 3-pt shooter, instead of just an above average one, he could be the starter.

Edit: Also, I agree with one of the earlier posters; Chalmers is terrible defensively. He gets steals so people are under the impression that he is a good defender, and he is in that respect; but man-to-man, he is one of the worst defenders in the entire NBA.

Kurosawa0 10-09-2011 01:51 PM

I think Chalmers earned the right to start at least at beginning of the season in the Finals. Unless Miami picks up a no-brainer, Chalmers should get the first shot at starting.

TheAesirsFinest 10-09-2011 02:08 PM

He probably will be the starting PG for the Heat next season.

He's a fantastic 3 point shooter, but that's basically it.
His passing is mediocre. I remember seeing him out of position in terms of team defense a lot last season, and his man-to-man D isn't great either.

Based from what I saw last season though, he's a very reliable "clutch" shooter. It baffled me as to how Spoelstra could continue to not draw up plays and force LeBron or Wade or even Bosh (smh) to catch and shoot a 3 when Mario excels at that.

Kevin_Gamble 10-09-2011 02:13 PM

Well he's better than current Bibby.

Peteballa 10-09-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
Well he's better than current Bibby.

Everyone's better than current Bibby.

Mike Bibby should retire.