Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kyrie v. Lebron's rookie years after 22 games (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250974)

DukeDelonte13 02-07-2012 09:39 AM

Kyrie v. Lebron's rookie years after 22 games

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/...vs_rookie.html

Pretty surprising considering Kyrie is playing fewer minutes.

Sarcastic 02-07-2012 09:44 AM

Re: Kyrie v. Lebron's rookie years after 22 games

James was 18. Irving is 19. It makes a difference.

PleezeBelieve 02-07-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic

After 22 games played, James was 19.

Try again...

SilkkTheShocker 02-07-2012 09:51 AM

Both are two of my favorite player in the NBA :applause:

But I give Lebron the edge because he came into the league when handchecking was at its absolute worst. Scoring was down big time and wing players were struggling for the most part. Peja was a top scorer with 24 ppg that season.

Dave3 02-07-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

That's not what makes the difference. The difference is in the fact that one had a year of college and one didn't. Also, James' rookie year was 2003-2004, the same year Kobe shot 43%, Tmac contemplated retirement because of how poorly he was doing, Carter shot 41%, and Ithe top 5 scorers averaged 28, 24, 24, 24, and 23. It was a terrible year for the entire league offensively. That was a big part his numbers looked that poor.

There's no reason to make this comparison right now though. Irving is playing very well, especially recently, but this isn't a fair comparison to him. LeBron wasn't great because of how he played as a rookie (not totally, more of how well he played as a high school rookie). It was because of how much he was expected to improve.

SilkkTheShocker 02-07-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

True.

Both of their supporting casts were terrible, but Lebron's was full of knuckleheads that could play any kind of winning basketball. Not that Irving is playing with world-beaters either.

ILLsmak 02-07-2012 09:54 AM

lol Anyone who thinks Kyrie is going to surpass LeBron (which is the implication) is ****ing crazy. And if you don't think that, what's the point of this?

Cavs fans, be glad your number 1 pick is playing well. That's all I can say.

-Smak

Sarcastic 02-07-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
After 22 games played, James was 19.

Try again...

Actually no. He didn't turn 19 till game #32

pegasus 02-07-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave3
That's not what makes the difference. The difference is in the fact that one had a year of college and one didn't. Also, James' rookie year was 2003-2004, the same year Kobe shot 43%, Tmac contemplated retirement because of how poorly he was doing, Carter shot 41%, and Ithe top 5 scorers averaged 28, 24, 24, 24, and 23. It was a terrible year for the entire league offensively. That was a big part his numbers looked that poor.

So blaming his teammates wasn't enough, now it's time to blame the entire league for his not impressive ppg as a rookie?:lol

The other thing is that they are winning more games with Kyrie. Lebron couldn't even make the playoffs in the first two years, but Kyrie-led Cavs may make it this year.

SilkkTheShocker 02-07-2012 09:57 AM

I just hope for Cleveland's sake that actually attempt to surround Kyrie with a good team. Blowing two great player's prime wouldn't look good on the franchise.

DukeDelonte13 02-07-2012 09:58 AM

I don't think Kyrie is going to be as good as Lebron... nobody does. Just a comparison showing how well Kyrie's rookie campaign is going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave3

There's no reason to make this comparison right now though. Irving is playing very well, especially recently, but this isn't a fair comparison to him. LeBron wasn't great because of how he played as a rookie (not totally, more of how well he played as a high school rookie). It was because of how much he was expected to improve.

Kyrie didn't have a full college season under his belt either. Only played 11 games in college.

SilkkTheShocker 02-07-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegasus
So blaming his teammates wasn't enough, now it's time to blame the entire league for his not impressive ppg as a rookie?:lol

The other thing is that they are winning more games with Kyrie. Lebron couldn't even make the playoffs in the first two years, but Kyrie-led Cavs may make it this year.

Lebron's Cavs went from 17 wins to about 35 I believe. I don't think you are taking their situations into context. Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, Desagana Diop? I know you don't like Lebron, but I don't see any rookie taking that team to the playoffs. Even Varejao now was better than the young Carlos Boozer they had.

Sarcastic 02-07-2012 10:03 AM

No doubt that Kyrie is playing well.
What I am most surprised at is that he came back from that injury so well.

Dave3 02-07-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegasus

You don't think rules affect the numbers of players? Really? It's all some fabricated excuse I'm making right? Do you not remember the multitude of 65-63 games in the early 2000's because of the more lenient defensive rules in that era? Do you also not remember a huge offensive explosion in 2006 when 10 (TEN!) all stars that year averaged career highs in points? You really don't think there are just years in which the rules make it easier for players to score easier? I'm not saying that's the entire reason, but if you don't think it's a factor then I don't know what to tell you.

They're winning more with Kyrie because a) Kyrie is playing excellent as a rookie, so far better than LeBron,

and b) there are veterans and better players on this team than the dysfunctional 2003 team.

Dave3 02-07-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
Kyrie didn't have a full college season under his belt either. Only played 11 games in college.

Yeah, but an entire college season is only like 16 games isn't it? It's not about the games played necessarily but the coaching, practices, environment etc. that help build your experience.