Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Get Rid Of Charlie V Now (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267196)

dd24 06-12-2012 02:44 PM

Get Rid Of Charlie V Now

Quote:

Charlie Villanueva helped bring unprecedented attention to the Dominican Republic the past few summers as a player with their national team. He is not in the squad for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT), however.

Calipari, who guided the team to a bronze medal last summer at the FIBA Americas Championship and then led the Kentucky Wildcats to the NCAA title, is working out with the Dominicans in Lexington. Villanueva had a private workout for the Dominican Republic in New York and didn't leave a good impression. "Charlie was not in good form when we saw him," Calipari said to Deportes en la Z. "He was overweight, and unfortunately, we could not slow down the entire team and it was a decision taken collectively. FIBA.com

If he can't leave a good enough impression to make the team for the Dominican Republic he has no business playing in the NBA until he can straighten himself out. It's apparent this guy doesn't work hard enough. He shouldn't be out of shape trying to make an Olympic team (even if it is a weak one). We need to do something to get this guy off the squad. I'd hate to take a big man in the draft and have him on the roster this year taking minutes away from our young bigs, who need the experience and probably want to be out on the court far more.

Attila 06-13-2012 02:25 PM

Re: Get Rid Of Charlie V Now

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
If he can't leave a good enough impression to make the team for the Dominican Republic he has no business playing in the NBA until he can straighten himself out. It's apparent this guy doesn't work hard enough. He shouldn't be out of shape trying to make an Olympic team (even if it is a weak one). We need to do something to get this guy off the squad. I'd hate to take a big man in the draft and have him on the roster this year taking minutes away from our young bigs, who need the experience and probably want to be out on the court far more.

He posted that to show he isn't 260 like Caliparri claimed.

dd24 06-13-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Get Rid Of Charlie V Now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attila

He posted that to show he isn't 260 like Caliparri claimed.

Yeah, I saw the yahoo article yesterday after I posted this, and it had that tweet mentioned that was Charlie posted later on after the story got some traction. I do remember the trainers saying he was working hard and in shape last season. I think part of it is they want him to have some trade value. At the end of the day, I'd much rather have our young bigs developing. I want to see more of Jerebko, Monroe, Daye, and whoever we draft. I don't want Charlie taking PT away from those guys.