Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chicago Bulls Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bulls Summer League (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270998)

ljsbb27 07-11-2012 10:02 PM

Bulls Summer League

This is the roster from what I've read:

Jimmy Butler, SF, Chicago Bulls;
Marquis Teague, PG, Chicago Bulls;
Olek Czyz, SF, University of Nevada;
Demetri McCamey, PG, Mersin (Turkey);
Leon Powe, PF, Atleticos de San German (Puerto Rico);
Jamie Skeen, PF, Ironi Ashkelon (Israel);
Jermaine Taylor, SG, Rio Grande Valley (D-League).
Ramone Moore, SG, Temple University;
Malcolm Thomas, PF, Los Angeles D-fenders (D-League);
Chase Simon, G, University of Detroit;
Henry Sims, C, Georgetown University;
Edwin Ubiles, G/F, Dakota Wizards
Charles Abouo, G/F, BYU;
Jake Anderson, G, Illinois State University.

Post any feedback here or general info or insight from any games/highlights you see from Summer League games that will be coming back.

I'm excited to see Marquis Teague and Jimmy Butler obviously.

Guys who I can see making the team: Henry Sims, Leon Powe and Demetri McCamey

ljsbb27 07-11-2012 10:06 PM

Re: Bulls Summer League

Henry Sims has potential to be an NBA big. He has the body for it and he improved each and every year he was at Georgetown.

Leon Powe has shown that he could be a high energy big guy off the bench that doesn't mind doing the dirty work.

Demetri McCamey is a good ball handler and playmaker who has a high basketball IQ and seems like he 's always under control.

Henry Sims can take Asik's spot if he's not brought back.

Powe can take Scalabrine's spot and McCamey can take Lucas's spot.

Let's see what happens.

idizzle 07-11-2012 10:21 PM

I've seen these players play and I think they might have a chance at making the team.

Skeen, Moore, Taylor, and McCamey

ljsbb27 07-11-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idizzle
I've seen these players play and I think they might have a chance at making the team.

Skeen, Moore, Taylor, and McCamey

How did McCamey do in Turkey last year?
I know that he needed to improve his quickness and his defense... did he?

Henry Sims is impressive to me. Legit size. Soft touch for a big man. A variety of moves. Excellent passer. What's your take on him.

Leon Powe proved he's an NBA player. It was just injuries that got in the way.

Rose - Teague (McCamey)

Hamilton - Hinrich

Deng - Butler

Boozer - Gibson (Powe)

Noah (Sims)

Assuming Brewer, Korver and Asik don't come back that leaves us about 3-5 spots to fill out. I could see McCamey, Powe and Sims get serious consideration.

Cafegerat 07-13-2012 06:21 AM

I don't see McCamey getting a gig.

The only possibilities I see are Jermaine Taylor, Edwin Ubiles, Leon Powe and Jamie Skeen.

ljsbb27 07-13-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cafegerat
I don't see McCamey getting a gig.

The only possibilities I see are Jermaine Taylor, Edwin Ubiles, Leon Powe and Jamie Skeen.

Now that I see Patrick Beverly working out with the Bulls I doubt McCamey gets a roster spot. They'd take Beverly over him.

I don't know much about Ubiles or Skeen... Can you give me some insight on them?

Crystallas 07-14-2012 12:25 PM

Powe has that Thibs connection, and he's actually servicable. I wouldn't mind if he took a deep spot on the roster.
Olek Czyz is one hell of an athlete. One of the best among the entire rookie class, and he isn't bad at all either. The parts of a game that can't be taught, he can do at a somewhat elite level, the parts that can be taught, he is still developing. I'm curious to see if he gets a fair shake.

Sims is pretty bad, but he might get ample opportunities to show his potential, just because he's a 7 footer.

ljsbb27 07-14-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
Powe has that Thibs connection, and he's actually servicable. I wouldn't mind if he took a deep spot on the roster.
Olek Czyz is one hell of an athlete. One of the best among the entire rookie class, and he isn't bad at all either. The parts of a game that can't be taught, he can do at a somewhat elite level, the parts that can be taught, he is still developing. I'm curious to see if he gets a fair shake.

Sims is pretty bad, but he might get ample opportunities to show his potential, just because he's a 7 footer.

How is Olek Czyz as a shooter and as a ball handler? Is he definitely a SF in the NBA?

I've watched some videos and he definitely looks like a great athlete I just don't know much else about him.

Tenchi Ryu 07-14-2012 08:59 PM

Really looking forward to the games, I've also heard Powe's name thrown around quite a bit the past few days, and like it was said, since he has a relationship with Thibs, he might be on the radar.

Crystallas 07-15-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljsbb27
How is Olek Czyz as a shooter and as a ball handler? Is he definitely a SF in the NBA?

I've watched some videos and he definitely looks like a great athlete I just don't know much else about him.

He's acceptable as a shooter. Not a guy that you would scream at, and tell him to not shoot. But not a guy you would draw up plays for either. He's better at creating a shot, than spotting up because he relies on getting his defender off balance to make space, rather than getting his defender underneath him. Ball handling.... not NBA quick, but he can drive with both hands.

There isn't an area where this guy doesn't need improvement in to be NBA material, but like I said, the skills that can't be taught, are there. So he could become a contributor by the time the regular season starts, if he and the staff have an effective development plan.

ljsbb27 07-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
He's acceptable as a shooter. Not a guy that you would scream at, and tell him to not shoot. But not a guy you would draw up plays for either. He's better at creating a shot, than spotting up because he relies on getting his defender off balance to make space, rather than getting his defender underneath him. Ball handling.... not NBA quick, but he can drive with both hands.

There isn't an area where this guy doesn't need improvement in to be NBA material, but like I said, the skills that can't be taught, are there. So he could become a contributor by the time the regular season starts, if he and the staff have an effective development plan.

Good to hear. Thanks for the input man.

With the Bulls cap situation and them wanting to stay under the tax level or pay the penalty as little as possible it certainly seems like they will opt to go for veteran minimum type players or players off the summer league roster that would come cheaply as well.

Tenchi Ryu 07-17-2012 12:49 AM

Although the first game won't be shown live on TV (and I refuse to pay money for the summer league pass), the replay will be shown the next day at 11 am. So if you got some recording device, make sure to set to record that if you can't watch it when it airs.

Crystallas 07-17-2012 11:44 PM

Malcolm Thomas looked pretty good. Great positioning, outstanding defensive awareness. Too much hesitation on offense in the paint.

Butler looks GOOD. He looks so much better than I expected.

And Teague needs to build his confidence. He definitely looks like someone playing their first game.

Powe looks like shit. Sluggish, a few steps behind, poor work ethic.

Simms wasn't too bad. His footwork is his problem, but other areas of his game actually look polished. He looked like a poor-man's Chris Bosh for stretches in the game.

Olek is the fastest guy on the court baseline to baseline(which is insane, considering Teague is Rose-fast as well). he's raw, but has a good aggressive gear. But I'm not sure he is making a good enough impression on the staff from this one game.

ljsbb27 07-18-2012 12:11 AM

Enjoyed watching the first summer league game.

Butler looks very good. Definitely the player of the game on either team.
I have no problem in saying he's already a better player than Ronnie Brewer.
He certainly worked on his game because it's evident he improved his shooting and ball handling.

Teague looks like he could run the offense for the second unit and do it very well. Needs to work on his shooting, but he's comfortable running the offense and is already a good passer. Needs to be confident and needs experience, but he will figure it out.

Sims is a guy who I still believe can make this team. 7 footer with a variety of skills. Needs work, but is a project that could be worth it in my opinion.

Czyz is a guy who deserves a serious look because there's definitely something there, but he needs to be aggressive in showing himself more.

Bulls are looking to save money so signing guys off of this summer league team would be the cheapest option. Let's see.

Crystallas 07-18-2012 01:22 AM

I agree. You can view it one of two ways. One, the FO failed to land big names. Or Two, this season is an opportunity to develop some long term role players, potential starters. I take the ladder, just because I don't want to see the Bulls have a ton of pressure to win, with Rose's knee in limbo. That's just too high of stakes.

Anyhoo, I basically repeated much of what I said here, and put up an article on CCS about Game 1 impressions.
http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/07...t-impressions/