Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Go-to 1v1 move? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273765)

SourPatchKids 08-08-2012 05:00 PM

Go-to 1v1 move?

Against bigger defenders: I drive hard, stepback and if they don't close out I just splash. If they try to swat me I fake(just a head fake so I can keep my dribble) cross over and go all the way. For smaller defenders I just need two post moves: up&under and one dribble baseline dropstep.

bmd 08-18-2012 04:00 PM

Re: Go-to 1v1 move?

The step back is my bread and butter. Before I dribble I make some fakes. Pump fake, jab step, whatever, to try to get them to react. I'll drive and step back and if they give me the space, I'll hit it. If they overplay I'll keep my dribble and drive past. If they still keep up, I'll then do a spin move near the basket. If I roll past, I lay it up. If I don't get past, I shoot a step back fadeaway out of the spin move. If they are still on me, I'll pump fake that shot and then shoot. or go up and under.

If they didn't get faked out with any of that, then I guess I just get swatted.

That is a sequence of moves that I've practiced over and over and there are a lot of different variations.

cuad 08-18-2012 05:43 PM

Run into defender and flop.

Burgz V2 08-18-2012 06:35 PM

up and under and dribble hesitations

SourPatchKids 08-18-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
up and under and dribble hesitations

I bet you use head-fakes often. Am I right? :D

Burgz V2 08-19-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
I bet you use head-fakes often. Am I right? :D

i do what I must lol

Go Getter 08-19-2012 04:23 AM

-one hand crossover/crossover double move

Hesitation to drive or step back or pull up

Up and under

TylerOO 08-20-2012 04:13 PM

I just shoot it. For some reason I shoot better with a person in my face than if I am wide open.

HylianNightmare 08-20-2012 06:00 PM

lately it's all about step backs and fadaways

BoutPractice 08-20-2012 06:27 PM

In the post it's the KG high release turnaround jumper, sometimes after a head fake, with the up and under as a counter (or at least the first step to my counter).

Facing up Pierce step back is the only move defenders can't find an answer for against me. If I haven't created enough separation with it, I might either drive to the basket (occasionally after a spin) or pump fake, plant my foot ahead of the defender and shoot off the glass (or I'll sometimes do the Wade if I really have no other way, but I don't like it, it's not a very... honorable play, for lack of a better word).
Another move I like when facing up closer to the basket is one dribble and turnaround. Turnarounds are really the main part of my repertoire.

...I just realized I should watch the Celtics more often before playing.

Mr. I'm So Rad 08-20-2012 07:10 PM

Post up on the left block and hit a turnaround fadeaway. Bread and butter for me. Anytime I need to get in a rhythm I always go to that shot.

scm5 08-23-2012 06:14 PM

the melo spin move.

wang4three 08-23-2012 07:16 PM

I used to use the step back a lot, but I found out that sometimes if I just take one quick dribble back (to avoid palming, I'd say a dribble through your leg back), head fake I can get the guy in the air, then dribble for the layup.

SourPatchKids 08-23-2012 07:51 PM

Seems to me headfakes, stepbacks, and countermoves to stepbacks are popular in 1v1.

AK47DR91 08-26-2012 06:33 PM

left low block post up and quick release hookshots

quick crossover into a fadeaway j

turnaround arching jumper

p.s. im a lefty.