Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Players that are labeled as (even if unfairly) chokers (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275291)

BlueandGold 08-22-2012 12:02 PM

Players that are labeled as (even if unfairly) chokers

Baylor: Lost in 7 NBA finals

Malone: lost in 2 NBA finals, missed multiple crucial free throws (game 1 97 finals, "mailman doesn't deliver on sundays")

Lebron: lost in 2 NBA finals, especially the 4 straight 4th quarters with 2 or less points, Heat were clearly the frontrunners in '11

Wilt: Lost in 5+ NBA finals, the majority of which was to Russell and the Celtics. Was a frontrunner during his Laker days.

LamarOdom 08-22-2012 12:09 PM

Re: Players that are labeled as (even if unfairly) chokers

I never understood this "lost in xx NBA finals". Isn't better to lose in the NBA finals then in the first/second or even not make it?

riseagainst 08-22-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LamarOdom
I never understood this "lost in xx NBA finals". Isn't better to lose in the NBA finals then in the first/second or even not make it?

but that's not choking. If you lose in the first round, you just wasn't good enough in the first place. But to make it all the way to the finals and then drop off significantly in production or missing crucial shots/freethrows is definitely choking.

Yung D-Will 08-22-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

I was just thinking about this the other day. It was whether or not in a comparison between Shaq and Duncan whether Duncan being undefeated in 4 finals is a special thing, considering he went to less finals than Shaq.

riseagainst 08-22-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
I was just thinking about this the other day. It was whether or not in a comparison between Shaq and Duncan whether Duncan being undefeated in 4 finals is a special thing, considering he went to less finals than Shaq.

it depends on the context. Did shaq blow in the finals that he lost in?

BrickingStar 08-22-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riseagainst
but that's not choking. If you lose in the first round, you just wasn't good enough in the first place. But to make it all the way to the finals and then drop off significantly in production or missing crucial shots/freethrows is definitely choking.

Yes it is First Round competition to Finals is much easier to lose there means you're a *******

riseagainst 08-22-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickingStar
Yes it is First Round competition to Finals is much easier to lose there means you're a *******

relax. Stop hastily generalizing what I said and actually read my whole post.
Your reply (and every other one of your posts) basically defines the type of moron you are. :facepalm:

get these NETS 08-22-2012 12:20 PM

"Loser" label applies only to guys who ended up not winning a ring at all

once you have ring, people get amnesia about you not winning

peyton manning, lebron etc....never have to hear the world loser again

choker is reserved for nick anderson......blowing 4 straight free throws in finals opener in waining seconds and leaving door open for other team to win

choker is about wilting in big spots to lose titles

LamarOdom 08-22-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

This is just stupid, you don't even consider the fact that the finals opponent more then often is the best and toughest opponent.

But hey lets do it ISH style, were being eliminated in the first round is better than being in the finals.

riseagainst 08-22-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

This is just stupid, you don't even consider the fact that the finals opponent more then often is the best and toughest opponent.

But hey lets do it ISH style, were being eliminated in the first round is better than being in the finals.

so going 17ppg in the finals while you avg like 27 ppg in the regular season is not choking? Oh of course, it MUST be 100% the other team's defense.

Read my WHOLE post to the end. I specifically mention either dropping in overall production or missing crucial shots/plays.

BrickingStar 08-22-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

relax. Stop hastily generalizing what I said and actually read my whole post.
Your reply (and every other one of your posts) basically defines the type of moron you are. :facepalm:

Have you read some of you're post retard? You've clearly become a dick riding kobe stan good thing ISH brought the negs back it did justice have retards like you walking in red so we can steer safe from your kind.

Freedom Kid7 08-22-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by get these NETS
"Loser" label applies only to guys who ended up not winning a ring at all

once you have ring, people get amnesia about you not winning

peyton manning, lebron etc....never have to hear the world loser again

choker is reserved for nick anderson......blowing 4 straight free throws in finals opener in waining seconds and leaving door open for other team to win

choker is about wilting in big spots to lose titles

Oh God that was the textbook example of choking.
Anyways, I have Karl Malone as the ultimate choker, but that's just me :confusedshrug:

LamarOdom 08-22-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

so going 17ppg in the finals while you avg like 27 ppg in the regular season is not choking? Oh of course, it MUST be 100% the other team's defense.

Read my WHOLE post to the end. I specifically mention either dropping in overall production or missing crucial shots/plays.

Alright what's the difference between this years LeBron and last years LeBron?

get these NETS 08-22-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
Oh God that was the textbook example of choking.
Anyways, I have Karl Malone as the ultimate choker, but that's just me :confusedshrug:

wilting in big spot to lose title

CHECK

SpecialQue 08-22-2012 12:30 PM

ISH logic is maddeningly stupid. People here legitimately believe that being undefeated in the finals makes a player better than another player who's gotten to MORE finals, but has one less ring or whatever. I actually saw someone make a case that Magic's career wasn't that great, because even though he got to the finals 9 times, he "only" won 5. Motherfvcker, name one other player not named Bill Russell who did that.