Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ot: small town to ban the n-word (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27582)

rezznor 01-25-2007 10:05 PM

ot: small town to ban the n-word

Small Town Considers Banning N Word

POSTED: 4:29 pm CST January 23, 2007
UPDATED: 4:44 pm CST January 23, 2007
E-mail this story | Print this story
BRAZORIA, Texas -- The mayor of Brazoria is considering banning a racial slur, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Even though the mayor's proposed city ordinance is still in the exploratory phase, the issue has received a lot of attention.

Mayor Ken Corley wants to ban the "n" word from the small community. He said it is a quality of life issue.

"This is a melting pot -- this country is, OK? There is no room for any racial slurs, whatever," Corley said. "When you're in town and you're riding around and somebody pulls up next to you and they have their radio on and they have some gangsta rap, I don't want my children or my grandchildren -- I don't want anybody in this town -- to be subject to that language."

The idea is receiving mixed reviews from Corley's constituents.

"I think it's a pretty good idea, you know. I don't hear it that much," a resident said.

"How can they enforce it? I don't see why a law like this would be necessary," another resident said.

Bishop Ricky Jones, of Brazoria's Living Word Fellowship and Christian Center, said the word carries a history of bigotry and hate, even when used within the black community.

"I applaud him for what he's doing," Jones said. "It's time for we, as African-Americans, to go to the next level and demonstrate that we do have self respect for ourselves. And, I think if we show self-respect for ourselves, the rest of the world is going to do the same."

A public hearing will be held Thursday at the town's civic center. City leaders will then decide if a third hearing is necessary or if it should be sent to city council for a vote.

If passed, the mayor said offenders would receive a citation for a misdemeanor punishable by up to $500.

is this really a good idea? tramps all over free speech, and how will they enforce it? the mayor's heart is in the right place, but this won't ever work imo. besides, i bet ya more black people use the word then white people. p.s. the mayor is white.

johndough 01-25-2007 10:13 PM

I'm black.My family is originally from a small town in Nc...if my grandfather ever heard me or my brothers use the 'N word'...even referring to our friends...hell, we better be prepared to put our hands up.

shafir 01-25-2007 10:13 PM

Good cause, but again, you cant legislate morality.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-25-2007 10:16 PM

re

who's to say what's moral or not?

the word itself is not evil.

people who use the word are not bad people

people who are bad usually use the word.

failure of causation by this mayor.

rezznor 01-25-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndough
I'm black.My family is originally from a small town in Nc...if my grandfather ever heard me or my brothers use the 'N word'...even referring to our friends...hell, we better be prepared to put our hands up.

do you ever use it though? away from your parents and grandparents?

johndough 01-25-2007 10:28 PM

When I was younger occasionally... to fit in or was street struck... I dunno.Now, I don't...ever.My friends make a concious effort not to as well.I was sat down,and like I said, taught the negative connotations behind it....context didnt matter.That, and I saw my grandfather light my younger brother up for saying that s@#t... lol

TheHonestTruth 01-25-2007 10:30 PM

This is dumb.

IamtheWalrus 01-25-2007 10:32 PM

there will be a constitutioanl problem here.

the statute is overbroad, its not a fighting word, and it doesn't make the average person provoked....

it is in violation of freedom of expression...

people are idiots...they just wanna have a case in the supreme court.

rezznor 01-25-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus
there will be a constitutioanl problem here.

the statute is overbroad, its not a fighting word, and it doesn't make the average person provoked....

it is in violation of freedom of expression...

people are idiots...they just wanna have a case in the supreme court.

i think the mayor is trying to tie the word to a "disturbing the peace" charge. its only a misdemeanor but your right, this statute will be shot down if ever challenged in court.

knickscity 01-25-2007 10:34 PM

Right. I would love to see that go through. So you have to ban the music in peoples cars, clubs, and parties too. Hey how bout banning music videos cause you know some of the guys on there say the "n" word too. Please. This is a joke.

johndough 01-25-2007 10:40 PM

How is it dumb?Rezznor said it best...won't work, but the Mayor's thinking is correct.

SoCalMike 01-25-2007 10:50 PM

Droppin N-bombs is not cool and its not good no matter what perspective... I can't stand the word. But, you can't legislate it... you must teach people not to be so stupid.

The origin of that word is horrible, and all races should recognize its significance and not use it to be mean or to be "cool." Its NOT cool.

:pimp:

Howard5Dirk41 01-26-2007 05:36 PM

Re: ot: small town to ban the n-word

Mayor is backing off now, all the white people got pissed lol.

DoubleTech 01-26-2007 06:47 PM

this mayor just killed any chances of a rap star emerging from his little city.

SHAME

SupermanOnSteroids 01-26-2007 08:33 PM

the only thing i want to know is who that **** is that in rezznor's avatar??