Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jose Calderon Takes Time Out For Zambia (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275999)

Legends66NBA7 09-02-2012 04:00 AM

Jose Calderon Takes Time Out For Zambia

Late on this post. He was with Pau Gasol too.

Always good to know what the boys are doing in the summer.

http://blog.raptors.com/calderon-tak...ut-for-zambia/

Quote:

Jose Calderon’s greatest assist of the year may have come in August.

The Raptors point guard recently travelled to Zambia for a field visit, where he received a first-hand look at the work UNICEF is doing with the country’s education, water and sanitation programs.

For Calderon, visiting the African nation — where 80 per cent of the rural population lives below the poverty line — was a eye-opening experience and prompted him to speak out about the ongoing need to improve conditions upon his return to his native Spain.

“I have seen in Zambia how the work of UNICEF saves lives and gives opportunities to children”, Calderon said. “Every child has the right to education, feeding, access to clean water or protection and all of us can do very much to change their lives”.

The need for awareness and increased aid is critical in Zambia, described by UNICEF as one of the poorest countries in the world. According to the organization, 36 per cent (roughly 4.8 million) of residents are without access to clean water and 50 per cent of Zambians (6.6. million) can’t access sanitation facilities. The cycle of intergenerational poverty is furthered by an primary education completion rate of just 72 per cent.

Calderon’s trip included a visit to The Fountain of Hope — a community centre that sees a reported 400 children come through its doors every day for assistance with basic education, health, nutrition and hygiene needs. The centre also offers access to sports facilities, where Calderon was more than willing to share his expertise on the basketball court.

“Every day they come to this centre trying to improve their lives to have a future,” said Calderon. “It’s amazing how they keep their energy despite the huge difficulties they have to face.”

The trip extended an offseason of globetrotting for the Raptors’ longest-tenured player (and currently the team’s elderstatesman at 30 years old), which included a lengthy run with the Spanish national team at the London Olympics that resulted in a second straight silver medal. A well-deserved extended siesta for Calderon after another offseason of high-level basketball would have been understandable, but his continued philanthropy with organizations like UNICEF and Right To Play make him a shining example of leadership and dedication both on and off the court.

Read more about Calderon’s visit to Zambia at UNICEF’s official Spanish site, and check out more pictures from his trip below.

barkleynash 09-03-2012 12:28 AM

Re: Jose Calderon Takes Time Out For Zambia

This is why I want Jose to stay and retire a raptor. I'd love to see him play out the year, and resign for three more. Ending his career as a backup point, in Toronto, just like he started. A nice three or four year run as a playoff team would be icing on the cake to an excellent career filled with class, proffessionalism, great community work and of course some great moments on the court as well.

Zan Tabak 09-03-2012 11:22 AM

Class act.

bokes15 09-03-2012 01:39 PM

Awesome, Jose Calderon is a good guy. I don't want him to retire a Raptor, because i'd like to see this team basically gut out all the older guys who have been part of this losing culture. I do like him as a person, and even as a player but not for this team. I hope he goes to a contender ala Steve Nash.

barkleynash 09-03-2012 02:36 PM

Bokes I can understand you wanting to have a clean break with the old players, but I would argue, of all the raps in team history, Jose cares about winning as more than ninety percent of them. He has sacrificed a lot for the franchise. A smooth transition to a backup role for the betterment of the team would solidify Jose as a lifelong raptor. At 16 minutes per game off the bench Jose is, in my mind, the best backup in the league. He will not be such a liability defensively, playing against second units. Imagine we are playing the lakers and he's on the second unit guarding either Steve Blake or Jodi Meeks, no problem. He can even switch and it's still not a mismatch. Offensively Jose will be the best playmaking and shooting backup point in the league. That is a huge area of strength. Across the league, our point guard combo is in the top ten. Lowry can hang with the top point guards and will solidify our defense. Jose is a great change of pace and will make Ross, Amir, lkeiza and Davis so much better, than our next option, John Lucas.

bokes15 09-03-2012 04:20 PM

I don't disagree with you at all that he cares about winning and gives his all out there on the basketball court. And in the exact role you described, I can see him actually being a great fit. But there were already reports of the guy being upset that we picked up Lowry so I really don't see him taking on a smaller contract and a much smaller role to be a backup and play 16mpg. I honestly see a much greater likelihood of him either getting traded or just playing out the year and outright signing with another team for more money and a larger role.

Jballer 09-04-2012 10:02 AM

I like Jose.

He has been a class act while in Toronto. He was a class act when there was two guard tandem here before. He managed the whole "Jorge Garbahosa played thru a broken ankle for Spanish National" situation team very well.

His distribution skills and court vision are among the best in the league. Top 10 and likely top 5 depending on minor personal tastes.

His defence is suspect - too many hand slaps and not enough feet movement. But when analyzing his defence it is a bit of chicken and the egg... is Jose bad defence the cause of historical bad d cause he allowed penetration - or is his slow foot movement because he had bad rotational d behind him and his responsibility in the scheme was to cover the other man ?

BUT....

Basketball is a business.

If Jose's expiring contract and ample skill sets are NOT converted into some sort of talent clawback it is a huge - massive - failure on the part of Management to convert assets in a rebuilding team.

It has nothing to do with Jose as a person - it has everything to do with the future direction of the Raptors Franchise.

The future is Lowry plus other talented pieces.

Jose needs to go because it is a business - and the business of the Raptors is to move forward in the supposed "accelerated rebuilding process".

bokes15 09-04-2012 10:30 AM

JBaller there are a lot and I mean a lot of things you post on here that make me scratch my head in wonder... :oldlol: But never have you posted something that i've agreed with so thoroughly and completely.

Quote:

Basketball is a business.

If Jose's expiring contract and ample skill sets are NOT converted into some sort of talent clawback it is a huge - massive - failure on the part of Management to convert assets in a rebuilding team.

It has nothing to do with Jose as a person - it has everything to do with the future direction of the Raptors Franchise.

The future is Lowry plus other talented pieces.

Jose needs to go because it is a business - and the business of the Raptors is to move forward in the supposed "accelerated rebuilding process".

Jose gets a ton of nice guy points. He's been a consummate professional over the years. He handled the TJ Ford situation where TJ would not accept a role as Jose's backup. He's dealt with nagging injuries and countless trade rumors. He's had to deal with really not getting the respect he deserves from the Toronto fanbase, from the coaching staff, and probably sometimes even from his fellow players. Having said all that, we aren't a contending team and he along with Bargnani have been our biggest assets since Chris Bosh left and the fact that we haven't gotten him to another team either in exchange for a player, some draft picks, or whatever is already a failure on BC's part IMO. Although he does still have this year to correct it. When it comes to this game, you don't reward people for being nice and professional you reward them for bringing you success. So with a guy like Calderon if the opportunity presents itself you ship him out somewhere, thank him for everything he's done and been to this organization and then you move forward with the Raptors franchise from there.

Jballer 09-04-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15
JBaller there are a lot and I mean a lot of things you post on here that make me scratch my head in wonder... :oldlol: But never have you posted something that i've agreed with so thoroughly and completely.

Cheers we can always agree and disagree :cheers:

I dont always agree with many sentiments about purposeful tanking, player talent, team talent beyond whats on paper, vets vs rookies..etc...

..but I think this is obvious (or should be) to everyone on these boards.

This team is still rebuilding - either slowly or in some mythical accelerated fashion according to Colangelo.

I have no proof on the accelerated part cause they havent done anything yet except flip a "likely high lottery pick" for Lowry. Clearly Lowry is the future and the cornerstone star/face of this franchise for some years to come.

Jose deserves a lot for being a good player/human... but not at the expense of the direction of the franchise.