Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Looking for a used car, between two choices. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276316)

code green 09-07-2012 01:44 PM

Looking for a used car, between two choices.

Hey guys, i'm doing some shopping for a used car and would like some input from people that might know a little more about cars than me. This is gonna be the last car before I graduate college, so i'm hoping to have it last for 4 or 5 years. I'm paying for school myself, so i'm sort of ballin on a budget. I have $5,000 cash saved up and I really don't want a loan, so i've narrowed it down to two choices. The first is a 2003 Saturn Vue. It's the base model with 98,000 miles. Looks in great shape, checks out okay with the mechanic. The second is a 99 Mitsubishi Galant. It's a little older, but it only has 59,000 miles. Also in good condition and checks out okay. I'm leaning towards the Vue because I would prefer the SUV, but I'm a little worried about the mileage. Any opinions as to which one I should go for? The Galant is 500 bucks cheaper if it means anything. Thanks for any input in advance.

blablabla 09-07-2012 02:03 PM

Re: Looking for a used car, between two choices.

why only those 2

code green 09-07-2012 02:05 PM

Those are just the two I have it narrowed down to. i know the owner of the place, so i'm gonna be getting a little bit of a discount going through him.

blablabla 09-07-2012 02:07 PM

how much is the saturn

code green 09-07-2012 02:10 PM

5000, i can probably take it for 4300-4500.

Godzuki 09-07-2012 02:18 PM

you really should shop the internet sites like ebay auto, etc. i'd think you could find a better used car than those two for $5k.....

someone here ran a Used Car lot, i can't remember which poster it was tho.

nathanjizzle 09-07-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by code green
Those are just the two I have it narrowed down to. i know the owner of the place, so i'm gonna be getting a little bit of a discount going through him.

yea thats what they all say "you get discount, special price for you, you buy now."

find a car off craigslist from a private seller.

blablabla 09-07-2012 02:21 PM

i would buy the galant it looks better imo, it's cheaper better gas mileage more reliable
but for that money i'd buy a legacy

Godzuki 09-07-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blablabla
i would buy the galant it looks better imo, it's cheaper better gas mileage more reliable

did u neg me or was that someone else pretending to be u? and if it was u why don't u have me on ignore yet? i'll never understand how a lot of you fgts here are where u have to read what i type but hate it all at the same time....

nathanjizzle 09-07-2012 02:26 PM

btw, if your going to drop 5k cash, atleast beable to pick a car you like and not whats just on a lot from a guy that you think will give you a discount.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3212086220.html

Godzuki 09-07-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blablabla

well blablabla just remember you want to start up a beef with me. i can't throw rep out anymore so i can't have a neg rep back and forth convo with you so i'm posting this, but if you want troll wars you got it pansy. i'll troll everything you type where you will be forced to put me on ignore lol.

i just don't get why pansies that are so weak like you want to always try to start fights with me so out of the blue, and especially when i'm not harming anyone. oh well, just don't cry later.

Raz 09-07-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
btw, if your going to drop 5k cash, atleast beable to pick a car you like and not whats just on a lot from a guy that you think will give you a discount.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3212086220.html

Exactly. OP reeks of a guy that's gonna get ripped off.

magictricked 09-07-2012 03:37 PM

Stay away from the Mitubishi. Good car but expensive to repair, parts are nuts. I've had two Mits over the years and they eat you out of house and home. The cars don't break more often than other cars but when they do your wallet knows it's been tapped.

Saturn's been out of business for how long now? Be weary of that supply line drying up in the future

code green 09-07-2012 03:47 PM

The car i'm pushing now isn't going to pass inspection and it's two months over already, hence the rushing. Appreciate the replies, maybe i'll look around a little more. Just can't afford to get pulled over and towed in the meantime.

magictricked 09-07-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by code green
The car i'm pushing now isn't going to pass inspection and it's two months over already, hence the rushing. Appreciate the replies, maybe i'll look around a little more. Just can't afford to get pulled over and towed in the meantime.

Where are you going to school? If it's someplace in an area not known to turn cars into rust buckets if you could wait and buy one when you're there that would be a bonus