Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277854)

Deuce Bigalow 10-03-2012 04:30 AM

#55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Ray Allen was voted the #54 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops.

20 PPG | 4.2 RPG | 3.6 APG

NBA Champion
10 NBA All-Star
All-NBA Second Team
All-NBA Third Team
NBA all-time leader in three-pointers made



Quote:

#54 NBA Player Of All-Time Voting

7- Ray Allen
6- Reggie Miller
2- Pau Gasol
2- Sam Jones
2- Kevin Durant
2- Tiny Archibald
1- Hal Greer


1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Magic Johnson
5. Larry Bird
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Tim Duncan
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Lebron James
12. Moses Malone
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving
16. Kevin Garnett
17. Karl Malone
18. Charles Barkley
19. Elgin Baylor
20. Bob Pettit
21. John Havlicek
22. Dirk Nowitzki
23. George Mikan
24. David Robinson
25. Isiah Thomas
26. Bob Cousy
27. Scottie Pippen
28. Rick Barry
29. Dwyane Wade
30. Willis Reed
31. Patrick Ewing
32. John Stockton
33. Walt Frazier
34. Clyde Drexler
35. Steve Nash
36. Allen Iverson
37. Dave Cowens
38. Dolph Schayes
39. Bill Walton
40. Kevin McHale
41. Jason Kidd
42. Wes Unseld
43. Gary Payton
44. Elvin Hayes
45. Paul Arizin
46. Bob McAdoo
47. Dominique Wilkins
48. George Gervin
49. Paul Pierce
50. Dennis Rodman
51. Dwight Howard
52. James Worthy
53. Nate Thurmond
54. Ray Allen

Fudge 10-03-2012 04:52 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Robert Parish

coin24 10-03-2012 05:07 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Lets get Pau in here:rockon:

pauk 10-03-2012 06:06 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
:facepalm

Reggie > Ray.

coin24 10-03-2012 06:33 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
:facepalm

Reggie > Ray.



Not according to ISH:oldlol: :oldlol:

plowking 10-03-2012 06:43 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
:facepalm

Reggie > Ray.


At what? Because its certainly not basketball. Reggie wasn't even a top 5 SG of his generation.

nycelt84 10-03-2012 07:06 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
I don't agree with Ray in that spot above but he was certainly better than Reggie. My vote is for Sam Jones.

Kblaze8855 10-03-2012 07:42 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Im thinking Sam, Parish, Cunningham, Durant, and Tiny are all reasonable picks now but I expect them to split the vote too much for any of them to even get 5. The Reggie votes repeat and hes in. I think he was in the 60s last time. Not sure where Robert and so on were.

wally_world 10-03-2012 08:35 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
durantula for me

pauk 10-03-2012 08:46 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by plowking
At what? Because its certainly not basketball. Reggie wasn't even a top 5 SG of his generation.


Wasnt a top 5 SG of his generation? Are you kidding me!? Overall only Jordan and Drexler were the better ones during his generation... Reggie was also Jordans biggest nemesis/rival at the SG spot overall... thats equivalent of Ray Allen being the biggest nemesis/rival of Kobe Bryant... and thats clearly not the case is it... and Kobe was even worse than Michael Jordan...

There is just some intangibles, killer instinct, competitive spirit you cant measure on paper (something which Ray Allen lacked)... something which Reggie is in discussion of being the best / one of the best ever at.... and something which he even used to always humiliate Ray Allen himself during their matchups despite his age...

I would love to see Ray Allen come to Reggies days and try be that to Jordan or to those other players....

I would also love to see him try and be a top 5 SG or be selected an all-star that many times when he had guys like this that would more or less kept him out of the all-star game various seasons or kept him from being a top 5 SG various seasons: Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, John Starks, Latrell Sprewell, Hersey Hawkins, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic and so on......... Today he has only Kobe or Wade to battle that spot with, even if he loses he will still be an all-star or a top 5 SG due to the lack of SG talent... Last time he was an all-star was in 2011 where he averaged 16 PPG, he was not even close to even being the best player in his team, still got in... good luck with trying to be that "all-star" during Reggies generation... those 16 ppg pure shooters came in huge packs... many who were even better shooters and players than Ray Allen never even got to be all-stars (Drazen Petrovic is an example)...

I would also love to see him be recognized as the best shooter when there were guys like this around: Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Dale Ellis, Dell Curry, Mark Price, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic, Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr and so on and so on...... Today he has only Nash or Dirk to battle that honor with due to the lack of such pure shooters....

By the time Ray Allen would be finished with his career he would be remembered as nothing but one of the many normal pure shooters that played in the late 80s and 90s, that wasnt a Top 3 SG (like Reggie was) during that generation and that has missed many all-star spots... he would have not been as recognized as he is today where he benefits from a weaker SG era and a weaker Shooter era....

Ray Allen is starting to get overrated, Reggie would made Ray nothing but a forgotten memory... players like Ray Allen came in a dozen during his time and he was killing them all (people were forced to see the difference between others "like him" when it came down to the time when it all mattered), only Jordan & Drexler were in the way (and once Drexler decreased only Jordan was in the way)..

Kblaze8855 10-03-2012 09:28 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:


I would also love to see him try and be a top 5 SG or be selected an all-star that many times when he had guys like this that would more or less kept him out of the all-star game various seasons or kept him from being a top 5 SG various seasons: Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, John Starks, Latrell Sprewell, Hersey Hawkins, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic and so on.........


Ignoring for a moment that several of them were not in the proper conference to keep him out of the ASG....and that the ASG is guard/forward/center so it was playersl ike BJ Armstrong, Mookie Blaylock, Kenny Anderson and so on keeping him out as well....

When Dan Majerle, Nick Anderson, and Hersey Hawkins keep you from being anything level wise...you arent anything close to top 50. And comparing 90s swingmen(which reggie was...he played the 3 as well) to the 2000s is a joke. There were more great swingmen the last 10 years than ever before.

Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Durant, Pierce, Carter, AI, Tmac, and so on...the worst of them compares to Clyde Drexler as a straight up basketball player.

2004 in place of Michael Redd is the only season Reggie would have a great shot at an all nba third team since 2000. Maybe sneak in over Joe Johnson when someone is injured. The 05 third team had Kobe and Mcgrady. The worst players to make those teams were usually having what would be career years for Reggie(like Arenas dropping 30 a night).

50-90s were the time of bigmen. Now is the time of guards.

Make reggie contend with Kobe, Wade, Deron, Ray, AI, Tmac, Durant, Paul, Rondo, Nash and so on for a spot...hes not touching all NBA third team in any season the 6 top guards/swingmen/whatever are healthy.

He was knocked out of his spot by Rod Strickland. What is he gonna do with Chris Paul, Wade, Kobe, Nash, Deron, Tmac, Manu and so on all having good years mid to late 2000s?

Hes not even taking Brandon Roys spot.

JellyBean 10-03-2012 09:54 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
So many options to pick from. Looking at my list, I am voting for my man Artis Gilmore. Gilmore is one of the most underrated players in NBA history. Artis Gilmore for me.

plowking 10-03-2012 09:56 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
Wasnt a top 5 SG of his generation? Are you kidding me!? Overall only Jordan and Drexler were the better ones during his generation... Reggie was also Jordans biggest nemesis/rival at the SG spot overall... thats equivalent of Ray Allen being the biggest nemesis/rival of Kobe Bryant... and thats clearly not the case is it... and Kobe was even worse than Michael Jordan...

There is just some intangibles, killer instinct, competitive spirit you cant measure on paper (something which Ray Allen lacked)... something which Reggie is in discussion of being the best / one of the best ever at.... and something which he even used to always humiliate Ray Allen himself during their matchups despite his age...

I would love to see Ray Allen come to Reggies days and try be that to Jordan or to those other players....

I would also love to see him try and be a top 5 SG or be selected an all-star that many times when he had guys like this that would more or less kept him out of the all-star game various seasons or kept him from being a top 5 SG various seasons: Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, John Starks, Latrell Sprewell, Hersey Hawkins, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic and so on......... Today he has only Kobe or Wade to battle that spot with, even if he loses he will still be an all-star or a top 5 SG due to the lack of SG talent... Last time he was an all-star was in 2011 where he averaged 16 PPG, he was not even close to even being the best player in his team, still got in... good luck with trying to be that "all-star" during Reggies generation... those 16 ppg pure shooters came in huge packs... many who were even better shooters and players than Ray Allen never even got to be all-stars (Drazen Petrovic is an example)...

I would also love to see him be recognized as the best shooter when there were guys like this around: Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Dale Ellis, Dell Curry, Mark Price, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic, Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr and so on and so on...... Today he has only Nash or Dirk to battle that honor with due to the lack of such pure shooters....

By the time Ray Allen would be finished with his career he would be remembered as nothing but one of the many normal pure shooters that played in the late 80s and 90s, that wasnt a Top 3 SG (like Reggie was) during that generation and that has missed many all-star spots... he would have not been as recognized as he is today where he benefits from a weaker SG era and a weaker Shooter era....

Ray Allen is starting to get overrated, Reggie would made Ray nothing but a forgotten memory... players like Ray Allen came in a dozen during his time and he was killing them all (people were forced to see the difference between others "like him" when it came down to the time when it all mattered), only Jordan & Drexler were in the way (and once Drexler decreased only Jordan was in the way)..


Funny you list guys all those guys at the SG spot during Reggie's playing days... Since a lot of them were better SG's than Reggie.

LOL at Ray Allen lacking killer instinct and clutch. Reggie has failed so many times in his career. He won one big playoff series in his life and got this clutch aura about him. Over their careers Ray Allen is the one that has time and time again stepped up. Not Reggie.

StateOfMind12 10-03-2012 10:06 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by plowking
LOL at Ray Allen lacking killer instinct and clutch. Reggie has failed so many times in his career. He won one big playoff series in his life and got this clutch aura about him. Over their careers Ray Allen is the one that has time and time again stepped up. Not Reggie.

Reggie is a much better playoff performer than Ray and all the numbers/metrics back it up.

Yes, he didn't win much, bu winning a lot of the team is not in control of one player, it's in control of an entire team.

Plus, if you want to really argue, Reggie consistently made it to the post-season each and every season whereas Ray didn't. Ray missed the post-season for most of his prime when he was the #1 option on his team.

MasterDurant24 10-03-2012 10:12 AM

Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
Wasnt a top 5 SG of his generation? Are you kidding me!? Overall only Jordan and Drexler were the better ones during his generation... Reggie was also Jordans biggest nemesis/rival at the SG spot overall... thats equivalent of Ray Allen being the biggest nemesis/rival of Kobe Bryant... and thats clearly not the case is it... and Kobe was even worse than Michael Jordan...

There is just some intangibles, killer instinct, competitive spirit you cant measure on paper (something which Ray Allen lacked)... something which Reggie is in discussion of being the best / one of the best ever at.... and something which he even used to always humiliate Ray Allen himself during their matchups despite his age...

I would love to see Ray Allen come to Reggies days and try be that to Jordan or to those other players....

I would also love to see him try and be a top 5 SG or be selected an all-star that many times when he had guys like this that would more or less kept him out of the all-star game various seasons or kept him from being a top 5 SG various seasons: Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, John Starks, Latrell Sprewell, Hersey Hawkins, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic and so on......... Today he has only Kobe or Wade to battle that spot with, even if he loses he will still be an all-star or a top 5 SG due to the lack of SG talent... Last time he was an all-star was in 2011 where he averaged 16 PPG, he was not even close to even being the best player in his team, still got in... good luck with trying to be that "all-star" during Reggies generation... those 16 ppg pure shooters came in huge packs... many who were even better shooters and players than Ray Allen never even got to be all-stars (Drazen Petrovic is an example)...

I would also love to see him be recognized as the best shooter when there were guys like this around: Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Jeff Hornacek, Dan Majerle, Dale Ellis, Dell Curry, Mark Price, Nick Anderson, Drazen Petrovic, Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr and so on and so on...... Today he has only Nash or Dirk to battle that honor with due to the lack of such pure shooters....

By the time Ray Allen would be finished with his career he would be remembered as nothing but one of the many normal pure shooters that played in the late 80s and 90s, that wasnt a Top 3 SG (like Reggie was) during that generation and that has missed many all-star spots... he would have not been as recognized as he is today where he benefits from a weaker SG era and a weaker Shooter era....

Ray Allen is starting to get overrated, Reggie would made Ray nothing but a forgotten memory... players like Ray Allen came in a dozen during his time and he was killing them all (people were forced to see the difference between others "like him" when it came down to the time when it all mattered), only Jordan & Drexler were in the way (and once Drexler decreased only Jordan was in the way)..

If only Jordan & Drexler were in the way all throughout the 90's, then why did Reggie only make 3 All-NBA 3rd teams and make 5 all star teams in 20 years, even with the fact that Drexler was in the west. Reggie lost out to Mitch Richmond(who was without a doubt a better player than Reggie), Tim Hardaway, and Rod Strickland for those All-NBA spots. Reggie was simply an onedimensional player who got overrated because of a few clutch moments, Ray Allen was a better basketball player in almost every single way.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy