Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278008)

AlphaWolf24 10-05-2012 01:46 PM

eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
In Basketball it's not always the "flashy" moves that make a player great...it's the small details...the little things that seperate great players from thier peers.



The Gorilla Dunk

Bieng able to to attack the basket from 15' and beyond and finishing with a thunderous 2 handed Dunk!...Literally no regard for who is in front of you...





- One of the most facinating aspects of Sir Charles's game...was his ability to to not only rebound but to create a play off of a rebound.( while the defense was not set)

- at only 6'3" Barkley had to use position and an intense hunger to get rebounds....but not only coul he rebound.....he had the skill and ability to create for himself or teamates...often times leading to a coast to coast Slam or a easy pass - layup for a teamate

This is the epitome..of a Gorilla dunk



Other aspects of his game....
- Barkley Blocks a shot...rebounds....and throws a perfect pass before the defense knows what happened>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvSI2DRvF0&feature=player_detailpage#t=39 s

- Barkley rebounds...takes the ball all the way to the other key....goes behind his back to finish over a defender>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvSI2DRvF0&feature=player_detailpage#t=76 s

- with great timing to judge when the ball will go up

and.... let's face it...Barkley was gifted with a great "lower center of gravity"...he used it for out boxing taller opponents...and unlike other great rebounders of his generation...he had amazing play making skills to attack after he grabbed one.

Watching today's great Forwards like Lebron or Blake Griffin take a rebound all the way...I can only think back to Barkley...He did it better then anyone ever....

and later in his career l...ike many alltime greats he developed a consistent outside shot combined with a top shelf post game....he was a truly unique player.

- Barkley once said...he was paid to wreak havok on the basketball court....

and that's exactly what he did.....










Knicksfever2010 10-05-2012 01:51 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 

TheAesirsFinest 10-05-2012 03:25 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
:applause: Great thread. That "epitome of a Gorilla dunk" is one of my favorite plays ever. So much raw power.

It's a shame there isn't that much video of Barkley on YouTube.

CavaliersFTW 10-05-2012 03:54 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
wtf charles barkley is not 6-3 where the flying hell did you get that nmber? :lol

He has always been been extremely honest about being measured w/o shoes the many times the subject has come up in interview. The lowest number I've heard measured was 6-4 and 5/8ths w/o shoes in the 1992 Olympics and the highest was an even 6-5 w/o shoes. Seeing as how peoples height fluctuates a little the few fractions of an inch difference makes sense, and it also lines up with when he stands along side other players who measured very similarly (MJ, 6-4 and 7/8ths)

Barkely is "about" 6-5 w/o shoes. And with the advent of super thick 1990's shoe designs he's also gonna be roughly 6-6 with shoes on for those that care to guess his in-shoes figure.


6-3 :oldlol: , he gets shorter and shorter as time goes on

BuffaloBill 10-05-2012 04:10 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW


6-3 :oldlol: , he gets shorter and shorter as time goes on



In a few years he'll be 5'10. Greatest PF under 6' to ever play the game :bowdown:

BuffaloBill 10-05-2012 04:12 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

This is the epitome..of a Gorilla dunk






I love that one. One of my favorite plays of all time.

SHAQisGOAT 10-05-2012 04:30 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Beast!

CavaliersFTW 10-05-2012 04:31 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
In a few years he'll be 5'10. Greatest PF under 6' to ever play the game :bowdown:


:lol seriously

josh99 10-05-2012 04:32 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
In a few years he'll be 5'10. Greatest PF under 6' to ever play the game :bowdown:

:roll:

Round Mound 10-05-2012 04:39 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
6`4 3/4 or 1.95 mt

:bowdown:

AlphaWolf24 10-05-2012 05:08 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
wtf charles barkley is not 6-3 where the flying hell did you get that nmber? :lol

He has always been been extremely honest about being measured w/o shoes the many times the subject has come up in interview. The lowest number I've heard measured was 6-4 and 5/8ths w/o shoes in the 1992 Olympics and the highest was an even 6-5 w/o shoes. Seeing as how peoples height fluctuates a little the few fractions of an inch difference makes sense, and it also lines up with when he stands along side other players who measured very similarly (MJ, 6-4 and 7/8ths)

Barkely is "about" 6-5 w/o shoes. And with the advent of super thick 1990's shoe designs he's also gonna be roughly 6-6 with shoes on for those that care to guess his in-shoes figure.


6-3 :oldlol: , he gets shorter and shorter as time goes on



yeah my fault..I read his book and he said he was no taller then 6 4"...

I know there has been talk of his real height for years...I thought he was 6 3" - 6 4" with shoes...

but 6'3" and 6'4" is not that big of difference...:lol @acting like calling Barkley 6 3" is so wrong.

CavaliersFTW 10-05-2012 05:26 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
yeah my fault..I read his book and he said he was no taller then 6 4"...

I know there has been talk of his real height for years...I thought he was 6 3" - 6 4" with shoes...

but 6'3" and 6'4" is not that big of difference...:lol @acting like calling Barkley 6 3" is so wrong.

It's nothing personal :lol I'm only laughing cause ur not the only one who has underrated Barkleys height on ISH - im grouping what you said with what others on ISH have said the past few months

There are barkley threads and player measurement threads that have revealed Barkley to be (6-4.63, 6-4.75, or 6-5) w/o shoes, pick one - they are all probably correct due to minor height variations in people throughout a given day/lifetime.

In spite of threads with sources for his actual height somebody always still manages to undersell his height in other random threads by calling him 6-4 (ignoring that he was actually closer to 6-5). If his book says 6-4 than now these underrated figures are starting to make sense - that's probably the source of the problem, because Barkley probably meant 6-4 the same way Bill Russell means 6-9 when he refers to himself (Bill Russell was 6-9 and 5/8ths w/o shoes... which is 6-10 to most people... but Russell just called himself 6-9 and dropped the decimal altogether instead of rounding up)

AlphaWolf24 10-05-2012 05:33 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
It's nothing personal :lol I'm only laughing cause ur not the only one who has underrated Barkleys height on ISH - im grouping what you said with what others on ISH have said the past few months

There are barkley threads and player measurement threads that have revealed Barkley to be (6-4.63, 6-4.75, or 6-5) w/o shoes, pick one - they are all probably correct due to minor height variations in people throughout a given day/lifetime.

In spite of threads with sources for his actual height somebody always still manages to undersell his height in other random threads by calling him 6-4 (ignoring that he was actually closer to 6-5). If his book says 6-4 than now these underrated figures are starting to make sense - that's probably the source of the problem, because Barkley probably meant 6-4 the same way Bill Russell means 6-9 when he refers to himself (Bill Russell was 6-9 and 5/8ths w/o shoes... which is 6-10 to most people... but Russell just called himself 6-9 and dropped the decimal altogether instead of rounding up)



well two things Barkley has said...that stand out.

" He said he is no taller then 6 - 4""

" He said he always rounds up"

take that as what you will...:confusedshrug:

people lie about thier height all the time....

TaLvsCuaL 10-05-2012 05:38 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
What a beast!

Barkley athleticism is underrated.

MavsSuperFan 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
wtf charles barkley is not 6-3 where the flying hell did you get that nmber? :lol

He has always been been extremely honest about being measured w/o shoes the many times the subject has come up in interview. The lowest number I've heard measured was 6-4 and 5/8ths w/o shoes in the 1992 Olympics and the highest was an even 6-5 w/o shoes. Seeing as how peoples height fluctuates a little the few fractions of an inch difference makes sense, and it also lines up with when he stands along side other players who measured very similarly (MJ, 6-4 and 7/8ths)

Barkely is "about" 6-5 w/o shoes. And with the advent of super thick 1990's shoe designs he's also gonna be roughly 6-6 with shoes on for those that care to guess his in-shoes figure.


6-3 :oldlol: , he gets shorter and shorter as time goes on



6-4 is still pretty short.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy