Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Kobe's impending retirement (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278316)

kkinchen 10-09-2012 09:45 PM

Kobe's impending retirement

I just want to say that it is so sad and pathetic that we live in a culture that hates winners. Have we as Americans become that overpopulated with losers that collectively we hate a great winner and champion like Kobe Bryant.

I say this because there has been so much press lately devoted to Kobe possibly retiring in 2 or 3 years, with the underlying feeling being that many people in the world of professional basketball essentially want to push Kobe Bryant out of the sport.

I really don't understand it. What is it that people resent so much about Kobe Bryant? Is it because he is living proof that the American Dream is attainable to anyone with the focus, determination, and work ethic to go after their dream. Or is it because it bothers white America so much to see an African-American male fully empowered, free, and prospering in America. Which is it?

Kobe is the greatest basketball player of all time, and just about everyone that is not in Laker nation wants him out of the sport so we can turn it over to the primadonna that we know as King James.

Since we're on the subject of Queen James let me state that he will never be equal to Jordan in my eyes because Jordan played in an era where players literally had to fight to win championships. We have never seen Lebron brawl or even get in a guys face like that, so in my eyes he will never be anywhere near the leader or man that Jordan was. Kobe is not as tough as Jordan in that regard either but at least we got to see him rough Reggie Miller up earlier in his career. So he gets some real man points for that.

Anyways, I'm slightly disgusted with the NBA overall in terms of how soft todays stars are, but at least in the Finals we'll get to see Kobe throw some elbows to Wade's throat, and Metta punk Lebron, and then maybe all will be restored to right in the basketball world.

DKLaker 10-10-2012 01:17 AM

Re: Kobe's impending retirement

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkinchen
I just want to say that it is so sad and pathetic that we live in a culture that hates winners. Have we as Americans become that overpopulated with losers that collectively we hate a great winner and champion like Kobe Bryant.

I say this because there has been so much press lately devoted to Kobe possibly retiring in 2 or 3 years, with the underlying feeling being that many people in the world of professional basketball essentially want to push Kobe Bryant out of the sport.

I really don't understand it. What is it that people resent so much about Kobe Bryant? Is it because he is living proof that the American Dream is attainable to anyone with the focus, determination, and work ethic to go after their dream. Or is it because it bothers white America so much to see an African-American male fully empowered, free, and prospering in America. Which is it?

Kobe is the greatest basketball player of all time, and just about everyone that is not in Laker nation wants him out of the sport so we can turn it over to the primadonna that we know as King James.

Since we're on the subject of Queen James let me state that he will never be equal to Jordan in my eyes because Jordan played in an era where players literally had to fight to win championships. We have never seen Lebron brawl or even get in a guys face like that, so in my eyes he will never be anywhere near the leader or man that Jordan was. Kobe is not as tough as Jordan in that regard either but at least we got to see him rough Reggie Miller up earlier in his career. So he gets some real man points for that.

Anyways, I'm slightly disgusted with the NBA overall in terms of how soft todays stars are, but at least in the Finals we'll get to see Kobe throw some elbows to Wade's throat, and Metta punk Lebron, and then maybe all will be restored to right in the basketball world.

You amaze me sometimes, that was :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause::applause: :cheers:

lakerfreak 10-10-2012 02:21 AM

I never thought it was an issue that touched on all of those subjects. When I speak to laker haters about their reasons for hating on Kobe, they always say its because he has this attitude to whenever he lights up a team, he likes to make sure they the opposing team, the opposing fan base, and the player guarding him hear about it forever.

Kobe is a player that likes to win, all the time. He wins so much that it can sometimes get to his head. He never takes the trophy respectfully and adds it to his list of success without saying something about somebody.

Its like after the lakers beat the celtics in 7 games in the finals. The very first sentence to come out of Kobe's mouth, right after beating a historical rival. "I just got one more than Shaq". When I heard it I honestly asked to myself "really? You beat the most hated team by lakers fans, and the one guy in your head is shaq?

Shaq never came close to getting the amount of rings Kobe has. So why does Kobe feel the need to kick those who are down? Thats what the problem is. He doesn't beat you and remain happy with the win. He kicks people....while they are down.

He almost did the very same thing to the lakers after he demanded a trade every single day of a summer. In retrospect, he probably would like to take that part of his legacy away.

To lakers fans, he's a hero. He's kept the team at a level of competition that is scary to the other top teams....even when they were subpar he kept them competitive. Case in point when Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, and Smush Parker were starters.

To laker fans, he is a legend. A God amongst the other celebrities. Brings fans to the seats, brings celebrities to the seats. Sells jerseys and apparel worldwide with not only his name, but the lakers' name.

To other fans....He's just an ass-hole....a bigger, stronger, arrogant asshole

If we hated guys like Bibby....imagine how other guys felt about Kobe.

kobesabi 10-10-2012 05:00 AM

Maybe it was just a ruse to get the trust of Dwight to feel assured indirectly that there will be an empty throne...since Kobe will not get down on his high horse to beg Dwight to sign again this summer. I heard it was a "might" not "absolute"

mariodeathgrip 10-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I never thought it was an issue that touched on all of those subjects. When I speak to laker haters about their reasons for hating on Kobe, they always say its because he has this attitude to whenever he lights up a team, he likes to make sure they the opposing team, the opposing fan base, and the player guarding him hear about it forever.

Kobe is a player that likes to win, all the time. He wins so much that it can sometimes get to his head. He never takes the trophy respectfully and adds it to his list of success without saying something about somebody.

Its like after the lakers beat the celtics in 7 games in the finals. The very first sentence to come out of Kobe's mouth, right after beating a historical rival. "I just got one more than Shaq". When I heard it I honestly asked to myself "really? You beat the most hated team by lakers fans, and the one guy in your head is shaq?

Shaq never came close to getting the amount of rings Kobe has. So why does Kobe feel the need to kick those who are down? Thats what the problem is. He doesn't beat you and remain happy with the win. He kicks people....while they are down.

He almost did the very same thing to the lakers after he demanded a trade every single day of a summer. In retrospect, he probably would like to take that part of his legacy away.

To lakers fans, he's a hero. He's kept the team at a level of competition that is scary to the other top teams....even when they were subpar he kept them competitive. Case in point when Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, and Smush Parker were starters.

To laker fans, he is a legend. A God amongst the other celebrities. Brings fans to the seats, brings celebrities to the seats. Sells jerseys and apparel worldwide with not only his name, but the lakers' name.

:wtf: OMG!!!!!!!!!

dd24 10-10-2012 05:55 PM

It's way too early for the media to be talking about Kobe retiring. All that's happened is they really don't have much to talk about and want to get some kind of excitement going for the NBA. Nobody watches baseball, there aren't enough huge football stories, and there's nothing cool going on in the NBA preseason.

Da Kobester 10-10-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Kobe's a (H.O.F) and a gym rat at 34 years of age with half of dem years (17) under his god given belt and if he wanted to he could play til he brakes K.A.J's crown scoring record! Furthermore with Kobe currently 5th on the list and assuming he's true to his word retiring after the 2013-14 season will get him to 3rd on the all-time scoring list surpassing 2 more legendary greats (Wilt & MJ) I'm guessing he's aight wit dat? Note: Kobe not only tangled with america's favorite alien (Reggie):eek: but he had other fisticuffs aswell with Chris "the sucker punch" Childs , Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Matt Barnes but didn't want no part of MWP :no: "The Artest formerly known as "Ron Ron" !

magicmanfan 10-10-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

with the underlying feeling being that many people in the world of professional basketball essentially want to push Kobe Bryant out of the sport.

DUDE!!! No one is pushing him out... He has said he might retire at
the end of this contract for years now. Kobe will decide this, not the
freakin' media!!

And Kobe is being promoted these days like before the pre Denver
fiasco... He's back on top.... He's the new NBA Godfather (screw Shaq!!
he's been a big tool ever since his time in BOS!!)

I do agree that Jordan > LBJ but LB's career is not done.. we will have
to wait to see.... (and I still think his "decision" was idiotic x 1,000,000,
I will never like him ever again no matter what he does)

kkinchen 10-10-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Kobester
Kobe's a (H.O.F) and a gym rat at 34 years of age with half of dem years (17) under his god given belt and if he wanted to he could play til he brakes K.A.J's crown scoring record! Furthermore with Kobe currently 5th on the list and assuming he's true to his word retiring after the 2013-14 season will get him to 3rd on the all-time scoring list surpassing 2 more legendary greats (Wilt & MJ) I'm guessing he's aight wit dat? Note: Kobe not only tangled with america's favorite alien (Reggie):eek: but he had other fisticuffs aswell with Chris "the sucker punch" Childs , Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Matt Barnes but didn't want no part of MWP :no: "The Artest formerly known as "Ron Ron" !

Good points. Who have we ever seen Lebron scrap with? Nobody. Because he is a big puussy. That is why I am thoroughly offended at the Jordan comparisons. Plus his overall game is really quite unsophisticated. He is a great passer to his credit, and finishes incredibly well around the rim. But for the most part his game is built on athetliticism with very average skills when it comes to spot up shooting, three point shooting, free throw shooting, low post moves and overall footwork. There are quite a few players in the league that overall more skilled players than Lebron. But he is so superior to everyone else athletically and a very willing passer that he is very effective on the court despite his average basketball skills.

magicmanfan 10-10-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

When I speak to laker haters about their reasons for hating on Kobe, they always say its because he has this attitude to whenever he lights up a team, he likes to make sure they the opposing team, the opposing fan base, and the player guarding him hear about it forever.

On that topic....

Do you remember when Bird was harping on Dr. J when Bird had 30+
and Dr. J had 6, then Moses and Charles grabbed Bird and held him while
the Dr. landed three hail marys in Bird's face? I've never seen Kobe
harp like that to any other player.... sure he talks trash, but I could name
a lot of players more vocal than Kobe..... (Reggie Miller for one!!)

magicmanfan 10-10-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Kobester

don't forget Raja Bell!!!

lakerfreak 10-10-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicmanfan
On that topic....

Do you remember when Bird was harping on Dr. J when Bird had 30+
and Dr. J had 6, then Moses and Charles grabbed Bird and held him while
the Dr. landed three hail marys in Bird's face? I've never seen Kobe
harp like that to any other player.... sure he talks trash, but I could name
a lot of players more vocal than Kobe..... (Reggie Miller for one!!)

The difference is Kobe keeps it to basketball. He's a competitor. He's there so he can beat you in basketball....not so he can steal your wife or your pension. To him, he loves the game so much and he wants to be the best at it.

There had been an altercation between charlie V and KG one time where KG called him a "Cancer Patient". That right there is obviously personal, insensitive, has nothing to do with the actual game of basketball, and is not something I'd heard of Kobe doing.

And honestly, these guys you mention like Reggie Miller are the guys who made Kobe who he was. Reggie wasn't too well liked either. Neither was MJ. All these guys crushed many teams. They competed so hard and rose above themselves. Thats what Kobe has that most players today don't have. That competitive fire where they just keep going.

You think MJ had only one buzzer beater on the cavs that they continually show? No. He's done it over, and over, and over. He's burnt them that way several times. It made cavs fans hate jordan. Many fans disliked Jordan completely.

In the end, once Kobe retires, he will not necessarily be disliked as much. This is all just part of the game.

DKLaker 10-11-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not on board with any bit of this. Other than laughing at Spike Lee who is a noted antagonist, and Shaq who came out with his rap B.S that Kobe couldn't win a title without him and "Tell me how my @ss tastes"......he has every right in the world to talk sh!t 24/7. Please tell me who he talked crap to that didn't ask for it? Humble? Was Larry "Trash Talker" Bird humble? Reggie Miller gave Spike Lee the choke sign and reminds him every chance he gets.
Kobe asks for a trade because he was lied to by management....so what?
Magic Johnson did much worse, he asked to be traded and had coach Westhead fired. Magic was booed at home games for awhile as well as on the road for this......I know you are way too young to know about this.....I was there and fully supported Magic. Kareem asked to be traded to the Lakers.
Kobe doesn't do a single thing that is not common in the NBA....except win titles and score like few others ever have.
People who say it's attitude are liars......or Tim Duncan worshipers....lol.
The media painted Kobe as a villain...he's far from it, but those who don't like the Lakers and hear the media put their hate him spin on things then that is a good excuse. If any hater actually met Kobe in person they would have a different opinion....one based on fact, not B.S assumptions and rumors.

I don't think you understand what it takes to hear all the hate, all the criticism, all the trash talk. You think he should not say a word :facepalm
Trust me, I would be talking more sh!t about punks like Ray Allen, Shaq...etc, after they ran their mouths unprovoked they deserve it. Only a soft :facepalm B!tch would sit there and take it by saying nothing....and fk that let your game talk for you crap.......an athlete with passion and fire is not going to sit quietly and get punked.......hello Pau Gasol :oldlol: .

Again....Kobe doesn't give a crap about the "Legacy" stuff that he spoke up and demanded a trade, he forced the F.O to step up and get real players....otherwise we would still have Kobe and a bunch of stiffs.
Kobe did what he had to do and it worked. It will be as forgotten as Magic's was......winning cures everything. Damn near every major star in NBA history has done similar things, this is just how the business is run......you young folks haven't been around long enough to have seen it........but remember Lebron got Brown fired, Dwight got SVG fired.....no one will care or remember.

dd24 10-11-2012 03:52 AM

Saying Kobe is a jerk or arrogant is ridiculous. You need to be 100% confident to be successful in any professional sport. That's why almost all athletes come off that way. For the most part Kobe is extremely articulate. For a guy with a constant target on his back and who lives under a microscope I think he handles it well. It amazes me how people can't appreciate greatness. People hate the Yankees, they hated Jordan, they hate Kobe, can't stand the Patriots, hate Alex Rodriguez, rip on Tom Brady, etc. I'm not the type to jump on the bandwagon and root for great teams or players. I can admit and appreciate what they do though.

magicmanfan 10-11-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Saying Kobe is a jerk or arrogant is ridiculous. You need to be 100% confident to be successful in any professional sport. That's why almost all athletes come off that way. For the most part Kobe is extremely articulate. For a guy with a constant target on his back and who lives under a microscope I think he handles it well. It amazes me how people can't appreciate greatness. People hate the Yankees, they hated Jordan, they hate Kobe, can't stand the Patriots, hate Alex Rodriguez, rip on Tom Brady, etc. I'm not the type to jump on the bandwagon and root for great teams or players. I can admit and appreciate what they do though.

I agree... those people are just haters.....

I hated MJ when they played the Lakers, but I loved his game. That's the
type of respect I think MJ would be happy about....