Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eurostep// Two-step (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278736)

SourPatchKids 10-16-2012 12:53 AM

Eurostep// Two-step

Such a simple move, but a thing of beauty when it works.

AND..... cue drum roll....

Jeremy Lin with the Dragon-step

2swift4u 10-16-2012 04:01 AM

Re: Eurostep// Two-step

well it's a great move no doubt but it's not that simple to do imo. One on one fastbreak situations might be rather easy, but in order to do it in traffic like Wade does it you really need to have this move dialed-in.

SyRyanYang 10-16-2012 04:07 AM

Great way to avoid offensive foul and get easy basket.

devin112 10-16-2012 04:32 PM

just realized this?

DStebb716 10-16-2012 04:41 PM

this is so hard to pull off. in my 10 years of competitive basketball experience i only tried it maybe 5 times and it only worked once. the rest i either traveled, had a foul called or blew the layup because it's hard to jump off the second step like that

Rake2204 10-16-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DStebb716
this is so hard to pull off. in my 10 years of competitive basketball experience i only tried it maybe 5 times and it only worked once. the rest i either traveled, had a foul called or blew the layup because it's hard to jump off the second step like that

I'm going to preface this by insisting I'm not trying to be "that guy" who can somehow pull off moves with the greatest of ease that other people declare difficult, but the Euro-step is actually pretty simple for most players if they spend a small amount of time figuring the steps out. I've personally been utilizing the Euro-step for probably around 8 years. I used a simpler "side step" prior to those 8 years (which was more or less squaring my body to a defender and stepping away), but once Manu came onto the scene, I moved toward the Euro (and yes, I know the move existed pre-Manu, but he influenced me regardless).

DStebb, I honestly think you just need to give it some TLC while you're working out alone and once it clicks, it'll be automatic. The steps are relatively simple and it's more or less just about getting the weight shift correct, thus allowing for a normal takeoff. It's similar to how in high school I couldn't pick up my dribble and take the ball behind my back before attempting a layup. Once I got the steps down though, it's now as natural as breathing.

DStebb716 10-16-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm going to preface this by insisting I'm not trying to be "that guy" who can somehow pull off moves with the greatest of ease that other people declare difficult, but the Euro-step is actually pretty simple for most players if they spend a small amount of time figuring the steps out. I've personally been utilizing the Euro-step for probably around 8 years. I used a simpler "side step" prior to those 8 years (which was more or less squaring my body to a defender and stepping away), but once Manu came onto the scene, I moved toward the Euro (and yes, I know the move existed pre-Manu, but he influenced me regardless).

DStebb, I honestly think you just need to give it some TLC while you're working out alone and once it clicks, it'll be automatic. The steps are relatively simple and it's more or less just about getting the weight shift correct, thus allowing for a normal takeoff. It's similar to how in high school I couldn't pick up my dribble and take the ball behind my back before attempting a layup. Once I got the steps down though, it's now as natural as breathing.

well i'm not a standout basketball player by any means. i'm generally one of the better players on the floor in any pickup game i'm in, but still not a stud on the court. i just have trouble getting lift off the second step, otherwise i could utilize the move with ease. my best move on the court is by far my spin move. i don't want to sound like "that guy" (as you said) but my spin move is nearly unstoppable in games. i can make a spin on the run or in tight spaces and it generally ends in SOMEONE on my team getting a basket whether it's me or someone on a dish from me. that's pretty much my claim to fame on a basketball court.

chips93 10-16-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

well i'm not a standout basketball player by any means. i'm generally one of the better players on the floor in any pickup game i'm in, but still not a stud on the court. i just have trouble getting lift off the second step, otherwise i could utilize the move with ease. my best move on the court is by far my spin move. i don't want to sound like "that guy" (as you said) but my spin move is nearly unstoppable in games. i can make a spin on the run or in tight spaces and it generally ends in SOMEONE on my team getting a basket whether it's me or someone on a dish from me. that's pretty much my claim to fame on a basketball court.

im not athletic by any means, but i love using the euro-step

for me, as long as you really sell that you are going that first direction, it doesnt really matter that i dont get much lift on that second step, because the defender is already off-balance.

you just really have to aggressively fake in that first direction

Mach_3 10-16-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

I would have to say maybe it's (seems) because you might be taking to long of a step for that first one. Especially if you can pull spin moves off in tight spaces I would think someone like with that kind of coordination would have no trouble pulling off a eurostep because (at least to me) it's a relatively simple move

DStebb716 10-16-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach_3
I would have to say maybe it's (seems) because you might be taking to long of a step for that first one. Especially if you can pull spin moves off in tight spaces I would think someone like with that kind of coordination would have no trouble pulling off a eurostep because (at least to me) it's a relatively simple move

ah, that actually might be it. i might be trying to oversell the first step. i'll have to try making it a tighter move.

and to the guy who pointed out that it shouldn't matter: you're right, it doesn't matter if it's in a fastbreak, one-on-one situation but i'm talking more about when i break the lane on a drive and there are multiple people in the lane. probably not the best time for a eurostep, but that's generally the only time i think to use it because i'm mostly strong enough to just drive and finish on any one-on-one fastbreaks.

edit: thanks for the tips on this topic. been trying to master that, mainly because it looks beautiful if done right.

DStebb716 10-16-2012 10:09 PM

my favorite euro-step is one that incorporates a ball fake on the first step. trying to look for a video on this, i'm almost 100% sure jr smith did one in a game against the celts last year

Mach_3 10-16-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

ah, that actually might be it. i might be trying to oversell the first step. i'll have to try making it a tighter move.

It sounds like that may be the reason, make sure your really planting your foot down when you step as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dstebb716
and to the guy who pointed out that it shouldn't matter: you're right, it doesn't matter if it's in a fastbreak, one-on-one situation but i'm talking more about when i break the lane on a drive and there are multiple people in the lane. probably not the best time for a eurostep, but that's generally the only time i think to use it because i'm mostly strong enough to just drive and finish on any one-on-one fastbreaks.

edit: thanks for the tips on this topic. been trying to master that, mainly because it looks beautiful if done right.

I think it matters, and honestly when i drive the lane and use the eurostep ill usually step towards the side the defender in front of me is on with the first and away on the second shielding the ball with my body on the way up. works normally for me :confusedshrug:

DuMa 10-16-2012 10:17 PM

you have to be ridiculously balanced to be able to jump off the wrong foot and lay it up with the other hand.

Ai2death 10-16-2012 10:50 PM

I only have one variant of the euro step that I can do pretty well. I also use a fake pass at the same time. When the defender bites, oh you hear the crowd lol. I found the closer to the d you pull it off the more effective it is as you take up their space.

StateOfMind12 10-16-2012 10:52 PM