Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes: (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279135)

CavaliersFTW 10-21-2012 10:40 PM

Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
All the same perspective (no off angles, only direct shots), all scaled using the basketball diameter of 9.4 inches for scaling reference:



Just Wilt and Dwight


Wilt and unibrow


Wilt and MJ


Wilt and Bron


Super freaks;


Wilt and Shaq dunking on the same rim (was lucky to find 2 pics of the same perspective! - scaled using the rim diameter)



https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/NBAscale.jpg

DStebb716 10-21-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
i don't think these are scaled. wilt's head isn't THAT much bigger than everybody else's


also, it's funny that anthony davis can't easily palm a basketball

CavaliersFTW 10-21-2012 10:50 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DStebb716
i don't think these are scaled. wilt's head isn't THAT much bigger than everybody else's


also, it's funny that anthony davis can't easily palm a basketball


When your big, your head is also big. All I did was match up the basketball diameters, thats how the scaling turned out, looks pretty accurate to me especially considering how well their wingspans appear to be in line with what was measured for them. Also, Dwight and Davis have small heads.

DStebb716 10-21-2012 10:54 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
When your big, your head is also big. All I did was match up the basketball diameters, thats how the scaling turned out, looks pretty accurate to me especially considering how well their wingspans appear to be in line with what was measured for them. Also, Dwight and Davis have small heads.



Well that looks like a contradiction if I've ever seen one

DStebb716 10-21-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW



Is that Nerlens Noel!?

tpols 10-21-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DStebb716
Is that Nerlens Noel!?

I think its rasheed wallace.

CavaliersFTW 10-21-2012 11:00 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DStebb716
Well that looks like a contradiction if I've ever seen one

lol it's true though, Davis and Dwight are like exceptions to the rule and they aren't in the class of size as true 7 footers anyways - you look at Wilt interviews and such and his head looks extremely big compared to the people hes around, same with Shaq or Artis Gilmore - remember, those are examples of true 7 footers who were filled out and to me their heads look proportionate to their bodies in turn they look like they have large heads when standing next to smaller people. Guys like Davis and Dwight aren't even 7 footers, and I've noticed they have small looking heads relative to their body anyways

inclinerator 10-21-2012 11:26 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
nice can u do some more

j3lademaster 10-21-2012 11:34 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
I don't know that much about Wilt, but Cavsftw, was Wilt's wingspan measured from when he was a rookie? If so can it be possible his wingspan was 7'10+ or even 8' when his shoulders filled out?

CavaliersFTW 10-21-2012 11:39 PM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3lademaster
I don't know that much about Wilt, but Cavsftw, was Wilt's wingspan measured from when he was a rookie? If so can it be possible his wingspan was 7'10+ or even 8' when his shoulders filled out?

He was like 27 years old when it was measured so that's his definitive wingspan - he definitely filled out more in bulk than seen in the pics though. He's something under 258lbs (his rookie weight) in those pics because that's the season before his NBA debut. He weighed up to 320lbs in the NBA (though he mostly played at 290 or under prior to being with the Lakers) and in the 1980's bulked up to 327 when working out with Arnie.

WillyJakk 10-22-2012 01:34 AM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Now this is WAYYYYY more informative...GREAT THREAD and thanks! :applause:

Love the fact it shows how dominant Wilt was also due to his hands, easily able to grapefruit the ball on offense and defense.

@ the Nerlens Noel comment, lol it Sheed did look like him.

SyRyanYang 10-22-2012 02:30 AM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
He was like 27 years old when it was measured so that's his definitive wingspan - he definitely filled out more in bulk than seen in the pics though. He's something under 258lbs (his rookie weight) in those pics because that's the season before his NBA debut. He weighed up to 320lbs in the NBA (though he mostly played at 290 or under prior to being with the Lakers) and in the 1980's bulked up to 327 when working out with Arnie.

Bigger deltoids won't give you a bigger wingspan if that's what you are talking about

MiamiThrice 10-22-2012 02:30 AM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
****ing lol @ theShaq and Wilt dunking pic. You can see the rimg in Shaqs hand below the rim in the actual pic to try and fool people. Also Shaq is on the opposite side of the rim while Wilt is closer. Good effort though to try and hype Wilt up. Not to mention Shaq is hanging from it while Wilt is exerting himself upwards with his arms. LOL

CavaliersFTW 10-22-2012 02:36 AM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
Bigger deltoids won't give you a bigger wingspan if that's what you are talking about

All I noted was that he filled out more in weight, I did not connect it or try to make any implication whatsoever that filling out would giving him a potentially larger wingspan, in fact I quite clearly said 7-8 was his definitive wingspan due to having it measured at the age of ~27.

SyRyanYang 10-22-2012 02:39 AM

Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
All I noted was that he filled out more in weight, I did not connect it or try to make any implication whatsoever that filling out would giving him a potentially larger wingspan, in fact I quite clearly said 7-8 was his definitive wingspan due to having it measured at the age of ~27.

Yeah I know, I can't believe the guy you quoted actually said it and you didn't correct him.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy