Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   let's revisit Suh vs. McCoy (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279271)

-p.tiddy- 10-23-2012 05:29 PM

let's revisit Suh vs. McCoy

anyone still think it is Suh by a landslide and this comparison is a joke?

anyone willing to say they would rather have McCoy than Suh?

:confusedshrug:

stats this year so far:

Suh

Sacks: 3.5
Tackles: 11
Pass Deflections: 1
Forced Fumbles: 0

McCoy

Sacks: 3
Tackles: 15
Pass Deflections: 2
Forced Fumbles: 1

(yes I realize stats aren't everything, just posted for ref)

TheSilentKiller 10-23-2012 06:42 PM

Re: let's revisit Suh vs. McCoy

Still take Suh. He draws lots of double teams and lets guys like Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosche pick up the stats he is missing out on.

-p.tiddy- 10-23-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Still take Suh. He draws lots of double teams and lets guys like Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosche pick up the stats he is missing out on.

how come Nick Fairley isn't starting?...is that a busted pick?

TheSilentKiller 10-23-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
how come Nick Fairley isn't starting?...is that a busted pick?

Fairley has started a few games, but he just hasn't been playing great. A lot of people were happy with how he played against the Eagles, but he was playing how he should have played. It's sad, right now he is at the point that a normal performance is encouraging. It is still too early to call him a busted pick, but it is a real possibility that he heads down that road.

blacknapalm 10-23-2012 09:51 PM

mccoy draws plenty of doubles himself. a couple weeks ago he was leading all DT's in plays behind the line of scrimmage. he's also always been great at run support.

i'd probably still take suh but it's close. it's nowhere close to the gap that people made it out to be their rookie years. mccoy's problem was always getting acclimated and saying healthy - the talent is there. suh is also not this dominant reggie white force that many people made him out to be.

it's crazy how much better that TB d-line would be if clayborn and bowers were in there. pretty much just been riddled with injuries the past three seasons.

anyway, both should be considered top 5 DT's and geno atkins falls in that category as well.

TheNaturalWR 10-23-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknapalm
mccoy draws plenty of doubles himself. a couple weeks ago he was leading all DT's in plays behind the line of scrimmage. he's also always been great at run support.

i'd probably still take suh but it's close. it's nowhere close to the gap that people made it out to be their rookie years. mccoy's problem was always getting acclimated and saying healthy - the talent is there. suh is also not this dominant reggie white force that many people made him out to be.

it's crazy how much better that TB d-line would be if clayborn and bowers were in there. pretty much just been riddled with injuries the past three seasons.

anyway, both should be considered top 5 DT's and geno atkins falls in that category as well.

Geno Atkins doesn't just fall in that category. He's the best DT in the league no question.

blacknapalm 10-23-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
Geno Atkins doesn't just fall in that category. He's the best DT in the league no question.

all top 5. we can argue exact rankings but they're all going to split pro bowl votes. point is way too many people were ready to put the undeserved 'bust' label on GMC when he was far from it. TB plays significantly better when he's in the game.

Carbine 10-23-2012 10:23 PM

Give me McCoy. He's the prototype 4-3, 1 gap defensive tackle.

Now that he's healthy, he's proving why he was drafted so high.

niko 10-24-2012 09:30 AM

I'd take McCoy. Suh is a walking problem. If McCoy is providing 75% of what Suh does ill take him.

Jackass18 10-24-2012 09:48 AM

Still definitely Suh, though I haven't watched much Tampa Bay outside of the Redskins game (where we carved up their DL). I see teams running away from Suh all the time and him getting a lot of penetration that doesn't show up in the stat sheets.

-p.tiddy- 10-24-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackass18
Still definitely Suh, though I haven't watched much Tampa Bay outside of the Redskins game (where we carved up their DL). I see teams running away from Suh all the time and him getting a lot of penetration that doesn't show up in the stat sheets.

That stuff shows up on some stat sheets...

QB hits
QB hurries
QB disruptions
Etc

Someone pay $10 for a PFF account so we can see...

Carbine 10-24-2012 11:45 AM

PFF has McCoy as their 1st choice at DT for their pro bowl choices through 7 weeks. Suh is not on the list.

Quote:

McCoy is one of the best run defenders at DT in the league while also being an elite pass rushing force.

-p.tiddy- 10-24-2012 12:01 PM

^^^ saw that live, was at that game

after it happened I was really surprised Romo was able to keep playing...McCoy ate him up there

niko 10-24-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Suh is not a great run defender. He's ok at best.

irondarts 10-24-2012 12:57 PM

TBH after seeing a healthy McCoy this year and with all of Suh's issues, I'll take McCoy.

I'd take 120th overall pick in that draft Geno Atkins over both of them though.