Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are There People That Really Feel Tmac Was Better Than Kobe in 03 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281675)

SilkkTheShocker 11-16-2012 03:37 PM

Are There People That Really Feel Tmac Was Better Than Kobe in 03

Or were they just trolling?

Rubio2Gasol 11-16-2012 04:41 PM

Re: Are There People That Really Feel Tmac Was Better Than Kobe in 03

Wasn't he dropping 40 on a regular basis in 03 with Shaq out?

Money 23 11-16-2012 04:58 PM

I felt that way at the time, but Kobe was still the superior defender.

HardwoodLegend 11-16-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFan
They were equivalent... but Kobe was slight better... because Kobe got the upperhand in their head to head matchups.

No, he didn't.

And, that's with the advantage of having Shaq as his center while T-Mac had Andrew DeClerq which makes a huge difference in how a perimeter player can perform with the freed-up space.

Either way, a 2-game sample size for head-to-head analysis isn't really enough.

Money 23 11-16-2012 05:03 PM

I think it would be fair to just call them equal.

I still think T-Mac is actually a SF, too. Not a SG.

WolfGang 11-16-2012 05:09 PM

I think Tracy was funner to watch then because of his extreme attitude. They were pretty much even with slight advantages in different skills.

elementally morale 11-16-2012 05:16 PM

For a year or two it was fairly reasonable to argue they are equal and TMac would eventually become a better player. He was more talented -- if you don't count the mental side of the game as talent.

AlphaWolf24 11-16-2012 05:29 PM

Not sure how anyone could claim TMac was a better player in 03'...

- Kobe showed us all how great a scorer he could be ...Dropping 40 point games not seen since Wilt Chamberlain....to go along with all world defense...

- To add...Kobe was playing on team trying to 4 Peat....meanwhile Tmac playing just to stay alive...without any pressure or expectation...( If Kobe played on the 03' Magic...he would have put up 35 - 37PPG easily)

- recap: Kobe was a better offensive player when he needed to be....Scoring 40PPG for a month.....he was also a much better Defensive player with a much greater will to win.

- Tmac had a amazing season on a pretty bad team.....I chalk it up with Kelly Tripuka's 83' season with the Pistons...

Funny part is...all we heard from TMacm was " If only I had some good teammates...I could win like Kobe".....a few years later he joined the Rockets to form a Dynamic Duo.....he still struggled.

Euroleague 11-16-2012 05:30 PM

T-Mac in his prime had more talent than anyone I ever saw in basketball. Unfortunately, he was lazy as hell..........

AlphaWolf24 11-16-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elementally morale
For a year or two it was fairly reasonable to argue they are equal and TMac would eventually become a better player. He was more talented -- if you don't count the mental side of the game as talent.

yes reminded me of Dominique Wilkins vs Michael Jordan in the early 80's....almost exactly the same thing.

except Nique was a much better player then Tmac.

RRR3 11-16-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euroleague
T-Mac in his prime had more talent than anyone I ever saw in basketball. Unfortunately, he was as lazy as hell..........

:applause: :applause: :applause: For once we agree.

HardwoodLegend 11-16-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
Funny part is...all we heard from TMacm was " If only I had some good teammates...I could win like Kobe".....a few years later he joined the Rockets to form a Dynamic Duo.....he still struggled.

It was a duo ruined by injuries. One was hurt while the other wasn't at crucial points in time. They were on a seesaw and never really got in good rhythm. If he had a good team from 00-03, T-Mac absolutely would have won more.

fsvr54 11-16-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

LOL

I love Nique, but this is not true.

pauk 11-16-2012 05:46 PM

Arguably... if Kobe wasnt a better defender (he was a 1st all-defensive guy since 2000) i would maybe give it to T-Mac that season as he was somewhat of a better rebounder and maybe passer aswell...

RRR3 11-16-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

yes reminded me of Dominique Wilkins vs Michael Jordan in the early 80's....almost exactly the same thing.

A decade later and you still have a grudge against T-Mac for being comparable to your boy. This is pathetic. :facepalm