Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   THE MASTER - anyone see it? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282615)

niko 11-27-2012 11:48 AM

THE MASTER - anyone see it?

Anyone see it? ANy good? It's already dissapeaing from theaters. I also find it weird there are NO torrents, no cams, no nothing. Anyone find one?

embersyc 11-27-2012 12:13 PM

Re: THE MASTER - anyone see it?

Haven't seen it. Same thing happened with Man with the Iron Fists, was in theaters for like 1 week only.

RidonKs 11-27-2012 02:42 PM

edit: maybe minor spoilers below but if you just want a recommendation, definitely check it out. hell even if the script completely stunk, its worth seeing for the acting alone. phoenix gives maybe his best performance imo, which is saying a lot. hoffman is hoffman, adams is terrific. plus Todd from Breaking Bad makes a surprise cameo! coincidentally with the last name 'Dodd' lol

yeah, it was here for a week and i caught it on its last day

if you can find it in theaters, definitely check it out. avoid a cam version imo. its visually stunning, and there are a few scenes that really make it worth seeing on the big screen. it's right on par with pta's other movies, and even though i'd probably call it his weakest next to punch drunk love, that has more to do with the quality of the rest of his catalogue than any shortcomings in the master itself. great script with equal doses of humour and philosophy and family drama, just the right amounts for me

that said, it wasn't exactly what i went in expecting. i only caught the trailer once and that was long before i saw it, but the hype around the movie, especially all the hubbard stuff, led me to believe that it was really going to explore the evolution of a philosophical cult, how it grows, how it maintains itself, how it shields its members from outside criticisms, etc. i suppose a broad focus like that would have been much much harder to pull off so i understand it. still, it would have made for a more interesting script. i also wish the movie had gotten into 'the master's head more. him being the club's intellectual chief, and uber charismatic at that, i thought there was more in his psychology to explore, and a number of different ways to do it. oh well

one aspect i thought anderson did pull off was spelling out the cult doctrine with just enough substance to give the audience an idea without too much to bore them. it blended a bunch of cool ideas together; collective consciousness, hypnosis, reincarnation, some psychoanalysis. great balance i thought.

the movie is mostly about the relationship between the two leads. and by the end of the movie, that relationship, while wildly interesting, reveals very little and leads nowhere. not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but i didn't mind.

Stuckey 02-13-2013 12:51 PM

anyone else see it?

downloading atm

only got a 7.5 on imdb, which should be worrying

Big League 02-13-2013 06:51 PM

The acting is top notch but is otherwise a horrible film.

It is a boring, awful movie.

The worst "good" movies I ever saw-
The Tree of Life
The Master
The English Patient

Of the three, the one I would least like to see again is "The Master".

no pun intended 02-13-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big League
The acting is top notch but is otherwise a horrible film.

It is a boring, awful movie.

The worst "good" movies I ever saw-
The Tree of Life
The Master
The English Patient

Of the three, the one I would least like to see again is "The Master".

That film was deep.

DonDadda59 02-13-2013 08:03 PM

Definitely not a fan friendly film. But if you want to see acting at very high levels (both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve the gold statue for their work, no offense to DDL who was fantastic as usual) then you'll like this one. But really not a plot driven film at all.

Stuckey 02-13-2013 08:10 PM

in other words, it's not worth the time to see this ??

I couldn't sit through 3 minutes of Tree of Life, shit was pretentious af

Big League 02-13-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuckey
in other words, it's not worth the time to see this ??

I couldn't sit through 3 minutes of Tree of Life, shit was pretentious af

It is your call.

This is a turd with a bow on it. The bow being the nice acting performances.

Big League 02-13-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no pun intended
That film was deep.

How so?

I got absolutely nothing out of it.

I like the other Terrence Malick films. "Days of Heaven" and "The Thin Red Line" were excellent. I was surprised "The Tree of Life" was such utter trash.