Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How is Andre Drummond doing? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283804)

dirkdiggler41 12-09-2012 11:46 AM

How is Andre Drummond doing?

For some weird reason I have yet to watch a Pistons ballgame this season. So how is the rookie doing?

Asiantastic 12-09-2012 11:54 AM

Re: How is Andre Drummond doing?

He's coming off the bench and getting very limited minutes each game.

It really bothers me because the Pistons should be using this season to develop his skills rather than limiting them.

Maxiell has been playing solid next to Monroe in the starting lineup, but I personally think that the Pistons should put Drummond at the 5 and push Monroe to the 4.

irondarts 12-09-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiantastic

It really bothers me because the Pistons should be using this season to develop his skills rather than limiting them.

Maxiell has been playing solid next to Monroe in the starting lineup, but I personally think that the Pistons should put Drummond at the 5 and push Monroe to the 4.

I agree. Monroe is better suited to play the 4. I'm sure that's the plan for the future, but since the Pistons are terrible this year, why not do it now?

Rake2204 12-09-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the suggestion that he's seeing very limited minutes each game. Detroit definitely brought him along slowly through the first five to ten games of the season. He had one game early where he played less than ten minutes. From the looks of it, Drummond really wasn't entirely up to NBA speed. Even now, I'm not sure he completely understands everything he's supposed to be doing on the court (and when). Well, maybe it's not a lack of understanding. I just mean it looks like he's still trying to get the feel of everything.

Either way, he's averaging over 20 minutes a contest over his last ten games and during that time he's been putting up numbers of 7 points per, 8 boards, and 1.4 blocks. Offensively, he's probably rawer than a rookie Dwight Howard. The majority of his points come off of putbacks and dunks - either off the alley or otherwise. He does not get any strategic looks in the post at this point because it doesn't look like he really knows what to do down there. His offensive role right now is to set screens and battle on the boards, for which he's done an outstanding job.

Drummond is a huge guy and I don't know what the future holds, but in terms of rebounding and blocking shots, it feels like he could end up being among league leaders in each category as he develops. He had 9 offensive rebounds against Cleveland last week and often, it just seems his height, reach, and hops give him opportunities to engulf rebounds before anyone else gets a chance.

I think it's clear and obvious that Drummond is a starter in waiting. I'm betting it'll happen sooner than later. A part of me likes things how they are right now though, as I'm not sure Maxiell could provide the same energy off the bench or not (I'm kind of afraid of messing with how well Max is doing in the starting spot). I think some of it is going to be a matter of how Drummond's stamina improves as the season wears on. People talk about his minutes, but I'm not really sure how much time he can handle right now. About 10 days ago I recall watching a game where he just about conked out on the floor in the middle of play during an up-and-down stretch. He had a makeable defensive play he could have made, but his body and wind wouldn't let him.

And I don't say that as criticism. I understand he's 19 and has never experienced this type of basketball flow, I'm just saying stamina's not automatic, so he's not really in position as we speak to be snagging huge minutes every single night. That said, he played 30 minutes a few games ago and looked pretty solid throughout, so maybe it's coming along quicker than I thought.

Asiantastic 12-09-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the suggestion that he's seeing very limited minutes each game. Detroit definitely brought him along slowly through the first five to ten games of the season. He had one game early where he played less than ten minutes. From the looks of it, Drummond really wasn't entirely up to NBA speed. Even now, I'm not sure he completely understands everything he's supposed to be doing on the court (and when). Well, maybe it's not a lack of understanding. I just mean it looks like he's still trying to get the feel of everything.

Either way, he's averaging over 20 minutes a contest over his last ten games and during that time he's been putting up numbers of 7 points per, 8 boards, and 1.4 blocks. Offensively, he's probably rawer than a rookie Dwight Howard. The majority of his points come off of putbacks and dunks - either off the alley or otherwise. He does not get any strategic looks in the post at this point because it doesn't look like he really knows what to do down there. His offensive role right now is to set screens and battle on the boards, for which he's done an outstanding job.

Drummond is a huge guy and I don't know what the future holds, but in terms of rebounding and blocking shots, it feels like he could end up being among league leaders in each category as he develops. He had 9 offensive rebounds against Cleveland last week and often, it just seems his height, reach, and hops give him opportunities to engulf rebounds before anyone else gets a chance.

I think it's clear and obvious that Drummond is a starter in waiting. I'm betting it'll happen sooner than later. A part of me likes things how they are right now though, as I'm not sure Maxiell could provide the same energy off the bench or not (I'm kind of afraid of messing with how well Max is doing in the starting spot). I think some of it is going to be a matter of how Drummond's stamina improves as the season wears on. People talk about his minutes, but I'm not really sure how much time he can handle right now. About 10 days ago I recall watching a game where he just about conked out on the floor in the middle of play during an up-and-down stretch. He had a makeable defensive play he could have made, but his body and wind wouldn't let him.

And I don't say that as criticism. I understand he's 19 and has never experienced this type of basketball flow, I'm just saying stamina's not automatic, so he's not really in position as we speak to be snagging huge minutes every single night. That said, he played 30 minutes a few games ago and looked pretty solid throughout, so maybe it's coming along quicker than I thought.

Yeah, I see your point. But I'm just saying that the Pistons should really be playing him more. He's young, has so much potential and if the Pistons really want to build a front court around him and Monroe, then the Pistons should definitely give them more time together.

I agree that his offense is very raw. He's basically playing like Tyson Chandler now with all the putbacks and lobs he's getting but I still believe he could develop a post game sooner or later. He just needs a mentor and probably more playing time.

I honestly just expected him to get more minutes than ~20 because he was a relatively high pick. I also want to see the core of Knight/Monroe/Drummond develop together. 4-5 years in the future, I have a feeling that this team with that core will do very well.

Rake2204 12-09-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I see your point. But I'm just saying that the Pistons should really be playing him more. He's young, has so much potential and if the Pistons really want to build a front court around him and Monroe, then the Pistons should definitely give them more time together.

I agree that his offense is very raw. He's basically playing like Tyson Chandler now with all the putbacks and lobs he's getting but I still believe he could develop a post game sooner or later. He just needs a mentor and probably more playing time.

I honestly just expected him to get more minutes than ~20 because he was a relatively high pick. I also want to see the core of Knight/Monroe/Drummond develop together. 4-5 years in the future, I have a feeling that this team with that core will do very well.

I feel you, and that time will come. On one hand, he was a top ten pick, but on the other hand, he's probably the most inexperienced player selected in the lottery.

He's made great strides very early on this season but from watching him from the first game of the preseason on forward, I have not yet had a feeling he was just flat out ready to be let loose. I am comfortable with the manner with which they're bringing him along. I think some rookies have the benefit of basically being told, "Alright, guy, we're throwing you out there, let's see what you got" while Drummond's been more of a situation of, "Alright, guy, you want it? Then earn it, and we were reward you accordingly." It's kind of like he's playing NBA 2K13 MyPlayer right now. He's making solid steps every single day and subsequently, his role is continually improving.

Basically, his minutes are only going to continue to increase. They probably would have risen quicker had Jason Maxiell not come out this season playing the best basketball of his life. As a coach, it's not always right to squash out someone who's playing great just for the sake of letting an unproven rookie run free.

IGotACoolStory 12-09-2012 03:29 PM

He's not mentally there for the NBA right now. That's where you usually take the necessary growth in college, but he's just going to have to improve in that area in the NBA. Physically and from a talent standpoint, he has the tools to be a great center. That's never been any doubt about it. His talent is so good that he can produce great numbers on occasion right now. He has already.

Some coaches throw their young'un in the fire and let them figure it out. Some take them on slowly for the first year or two until their mature their basketball IQ.

There's no correct approach. It depends on the player.

Personally, I think they are doing the right thing with Drummond. Iron out his bad habits by controlling his pt.

Whoah10115 12-09-2012 03:44 PM

I think he has to be starting post all-star game. Not only is going to help his development, but let's realize that some have been worried about throwing him in and messing with his confidence...likewise, at some point, Monroe needs his confidence and he'd get more of it at the PF position. His defense would improve by leaps and bounds and the Pistons would be gettin some rebounds.

Rake2204 12-09-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
I think he has to be starting post all-star game. Not only is going to help his development, but let's realize that some have been worried about throwing him in and messing with his confidence...likewise, at some point, Monroe needs his confidence and he'd get more of it at the PF position. His defense would improve by leaps and bounds and the Pistons would be gettin some rebounds.

I really do believe the endgame here is Drummond will end up starting. But I think Detroit can only let him earn that starting spot once, so they're going to make sure it's worth it, if that makes sense. Once he's a starter, they probably want to make sure he'll be there to stay.

I remember Darko Milicic very well. It was clear and apparent he had serious confidence issues. I don't know what he was like in Europe, but he seemed broken the minute he found himself playing behind Wallace (eventually the other Wallace), Okur, and Campbell. Andre Drummond does not have a hint of Darko in him in that regard. I'll stop from saying he's overconfident, but he definitely feels good about what he can do, so I don't think his not starting will ever make him lose his self-worth in that regard.

Plus, as mentioned, it's not as if he's stapled to the bench right now. He's seeing 21 minutes a night over the last ten (to his starting counterpart Maxiell's 27). He knows he's moving onward and upward as he continues to learn the NBA game. I don't think starting or not starting by the all star break will change that.