Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bargnani and Lowry Centre of Team Meeting (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284183)

RaininThrees 12-12-2012 08:23 PM

Bargnani and Lowry Centre of Team Meeting

Some interesting stuff in the NP:

Quote:

Then there is Andrea Bargnani, Torontoís windy avatar of dissatisfaction. According to sources, the team meeting following the 131-99 loss in Utah involved heavy criticism of Bargnani from his teammates, with some also directed towards point guard Lowry for overly self-centred play. But Bargnani, as always, was the focus.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...er-crossroads/

Dr.Funk 12-12-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Bargnani and Lowry Centre of Team Meeting

So it's now confirmed that the only two guys on the planet that can't see Bargnani's shittyness are Colangelo and Casey.

There is definately a case of MikeJamesitis in Lowry.

bokes15 12-12-2012 08:59 PM

That is awesome news. I think it hurts more getting the criticism from teammates than it does from coaches and management.

Chamberlain 12-12-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15
That is awesome news. I think it hurts more getting the criticism from teammates than it does from coaches and management.

Absolutely.

I also agree that Lowry has been pushing it a bit too much at times. I like a point guard who can take over games and isn't afraid to find his shot, but especially since he came back from his injury he just looks like he is forcing it too much.

Molson 12-17-2012 02:46 PM

We're 4-5 with Lowry out and 2-14 with him in there.

Qwyjibo 12-17-2012 04:01 PM

Lowry is still the most productive and best overall player on the team this year. Although when it comes to the Raptors, that's not saying too much. Any adjustments he needs to make are minor when it comes to decision making. Particularly at the end of games. But really, if you need someone to create a scoring opportunity, who is better?

Bargnani is simply a disaster. If he's not making jump shots, he is a negative factor on the floor given that he can't rebound or play defense. The moment he gets the ball, it's generally a long jumper or a drive to the basket with no other possibility in mind other than him shooting. He doesn't seem to adjust depending on who/how many players he's driving into.

BRabbiT 12-17-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

this.

Molson 12-19-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Lowry is still the most productive and best overall player on the team this year. Although when it comes to the Raptors, that's not saying too much. Any adjustments he needs to make are minor when it comes to decision making. Particularly at the end of games. But really, if you need someone to create a scoring opportunity, who is better?

I would not say the adjustments Lowry has to make are minor. His decision making has been a glaring flaw everywhere he has been and no coach has been able to change it. If Casey is the guy who can fix it, then great, but I would be surprised if he could. Lowry has not been able to stick anywhere for a reason.

Anyways, the count continues. Raps now 5-5 with Calderon starting and 2-14 with Lowry at the helm.

bokes15 12-19-2012 03:24 PM

Calderon clearly plays better when he has full reign at the PG spot. But what I also want to say is that I feel as though Bargnani being out makes a huge difference. More of a difference than Lowry being out. Because now all of a sudden, our bigs all play in the paint. They are tough, hard nosed guys who rebound and play defense. And all of their scores are high percentage. Ed Davis is at 56% and Val at 51%. And I also think it makes it much easier for a point guard when his bigs play around the rim and look for the lob and/or pick and roll. So Bargnani being out is addition by subtraction. Now, Lowry of course isn't the pure pg that Calderon is but I think if you plugged in Lowry to the current team sans Bargnani they would still be better than they would be with both Lowry AND Bargnani back.

Toni 12-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Now, Lowry of course isn't the pure pg that Calderon is but I think if you plugged in Lowry to the current team sans Bargnani they would still be better than they would be with both Lowry AND Bargnani back.

Statistics show that Lowry is one of the most versatile and dynamic players in the game with his ability to score, rebound and dish out assists. I'm pretty sure the recent winning streak has more to do with the soft, jump-shooting Bargnani being out more than anything else.

Ship his ass out of town, we don't need a bigger sample than what he has done over the past 5 seasons. He has developed a losing culture and is a loser of player. What proved that even more were his comments on that Italian radio show.

:coleman:

bokes15 12-19-2012 04:29 PM

Which leads back to the problem of having 2 starting calibur pg's on the same team. Our team has proven more than any over the past 6 seasons that it's not an advantage to have 2 starting point guards on 1 team. When Calderon comes off the bench, he plays passively and kind of tip toes around out there without that same fire we see when he's the starter. And then when Lowry comes off the bench, he plays like a more aggressive and more trigger happy version of his normal style. I feel like point guard is the one position where you've gotta have a clear cut #1 and #2. Because history always repeats itself. When there's 2 on 1 team, there always tends to be problems.

Qwyjibo 12-19-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Which leads back to the problem of having 2 starting calibur pg's on the same team. Our team has proven more than any over the past 6 seasons that it's not an advantage to have 2 starting point guards on 1 team. When Calderon comes off the bench, he plays passively and kind of tip toes around out there without that same fire we see when he's the starter. And then when Lowry comes off the bench, he plays like a more aggressive and more trigger happy version of his normal style. I feel like point guard is the one position where you've gotta have a clear cut #1 and #2. Because history always repeats itself. When there's 2 on 1 team, there always tends to be problems.

It's poor roster composition. What's the point of having 2 starting caliber players at one position where they can only split 48 minutes. Unless, of course, you are stupidly playing them both at the same time. The smart thing would be to trade one for a starting caliber player at another position where you could hopefully get ~70 minutes between two players.

bokes15 12-19-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
It's poor roster composition. What's the point of having 2 starting caliber players at one position where they can only split 48 minutes. Unless, of course, you are stupidly playing them both at the same time. The smart thing would be to trade one for a starting caliber player at another position where you could hopefully get ~70 minutes between two players.

It's such basic, simple common sense. It always amazes me how seemingly everyone but the man in charge seems to understand this.

lilbeastnani 12-20-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni

:coleman:

those comments were misquoted and used for media attention. :facepalm

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15...eam-in-the-nba

Quote:

ďIím not going to go over every single crap that was in there, I just wanted to clarify for all you media guys that specific sentence. Iím going to have people look over it and take care of the other stuff, because I donít think some people can afford to change my words like that, so Iím going to have people taking care of that,Ē he said, alluding to legal action.

A couple of summers ago, after doing some Italian commentary during the NBA playoffs that, upon translation to English, appeared to indicate he was unhappy as a Raptor, Bargnani issued a statement through the Raptors saying, in part, his words were taken out of context and were inaccurate.

This time, Bargnani felt the need to speak directly to the media.

ďI just wanted to clarify that one specific sentence that was all over the news, and made me feel really bad, especially for my teammates and my fans. Iím not going to answer to this kind of stuff that doesnít make sense. I didnít say that, so like, somebody accuses you of something you didnít do are you going to (talk about it)? Doesnít make sense to me.Ē
ďThe guys in the locker room that know me, honestly, they were laughing about it with me and joking with me about it because they knew right away that was not true,Ē Bargnani said. ďI think I owed some explanation to the people that donít know me that way. It came out in a pretty bad way and I couldnít do anything about it. What can you do? I can only explain to you this morning and to the team. But again, I donít owe any apologies because I did not say that.Ē

Head coach Dwane Casey and Bargnaniís teammates accepted the explanation.

ďI think heís had problems with the Italian media before and thatís just what it was,Ē Casey said, bringing up the earlier incident.

ďHe explained it to the team, he explained it to me. To me, itís a non-issue, because I know in his heart he doesnít believe what was printed in that medium.Ē

kaiteng 12-20-2012 02:33 PM

So Bargnani probably gave an interview to this guy: