Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gun sales in US "go astronomical" after Connecticut massacre (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284700)

zizozain 12-18-2012 02:15 PM

Gun sales in US "go astronomical" after Connecticut massacre

"Our sales are astronomical," said Karl Durkheimer, owner of Northwest Armory in Portland, Ore. "We have customers coming in who are very worried for their personal safety."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oting/1775707/

daily 12-18-2012 02:20 PM

Re: Gun sales in US "go astronomical" after Connecticut massacre

On another note gun manufacturers stocks have taken a hit this week and the investment group that owns the makers of Bushmasters announced today in light of the shootings last Friday they'll be selling the company

kNicKz 12-18-2012 02:20 PM

I was thinking about getting something for home defense, but decided against it

Rasheed1 12-18-2012 02:23 PM

Americans dont seem to realize that the woman whose kid blew her away? She was a gun enthusiast. She had 12 guns :confusedshrug: didnt save her from getting her head blown off by her own kid.

Then the kid took those legal guns to a kindergarten and blew away a whole bunch of innocent people

:oldlol: but some of these geniuses think the answer is MORE guns..

MJ23forever 12-18-2012 02:26 PM

People are still ignoring the real cause of people going on shooting sprees: prescription drugs like anti depressants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhO0Pul_FcE

niko 12-18-2012 02:26 PM

Guns are only useful if you have time to get the gun, the other person does not have a gun, and basically you are using the gun to make the balance of power so much in your favor that it ends a confrontation without anything happening. If you have a gun pointed at me, and i pull out a gun, chances are people are going to die.

Guns are also a problem when you have people angry, the husband who finds his wife in bed with someone and becomes a murderer, or the depressed person who doesn't realize they have mental issues, etc. If you have the gun with you at that point it's very very bad.

i think 99% of people should in no way have guns and in no way need guns. If the teacher in that school had a gun the most likely outcome is still them getting killed.

kaiteng 12-18-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Americans dont seem to realize that the woman whose kid blew her away? She was a gun enthusiast. She had 12 guns :confusedshrug: didnt save her from getting her head blown off by her own kid.

Then the kid took those legal guns to a kindergarten and blew away a whole bunch of innocent people

:oldlol: but some of these geniuses think the answer is MORE guns..

This is why you have to fix people first.

InspiredLebowski 12-18-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng

Which is such a monumental effort that it's not going to change in any of our lifetimes. It's an entire culture's fascination and acceptance of violence as an answer to anything. It'll take generations.

ripthekik 12-18-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng

:applause:

Based on what I've seen the last 2 days, education seems to be the best fix.

longhornfan1234 12-18-2012 02:52 PM

If the gov tries to take my guns, my chopper is going to split them in half.

-p.tiddy- 12-18-2012 02:53 PM

I'm a gun owner, and currently I feel as though I am an extremely responsible gun owner.

Earlier?...3-4 years ago?...I was an extremely irresponsible gun owner...fcking miracle I didn't kill anyone. I shouldn't have been able to own a gun at that point in my life, but I am not sure how anyone was supposed to know that of me though. There is no "crazy alcoholic party guy who has no business owning a gun" test to take.

I think I am pretty much proof the system is flawed, but that being said I think there will always be flaws in a gun ownership system.

The Macho Man 12-18-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I'm a gun owner, and currently I feel as though I am an extremely responsible gun owner.

Earlier?...3-4 years ago?...I was an extremely irresponsible gun owner...fcking miracle I didn't kill anyone. I shouldn't have been able to own a gun at that point in my life, but I am not sure how anyone was supposed to know that of me though. There is no "crazy alcoholic party guy who has no business owning a gun" test to take.

I think I am pretty much proof the system is flawed, but that being said I think there will always be flaws in a gun ownership system.

Examples please

Derka 12-18-2012 02:59 PM

Come up with a way to keep guns away from bad guys. We spend all this time talking about gun ownership and restricting access to the people who obey the law...tell me how we're going to keep them out of bad guys' hands.

MJ23forever 12-18-2012 03:03 PM

Is He Ill 12-18-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Which is such a monumental effort that it's not going to change in any of our lifetimes. It's an entire culture's fascination and acceptance of violence as an answer to anything. It'll take generations.

If we ever even get to that point.