Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's the point of cops? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285755)

Loneshot 12-29-2012 07:20 PM

What's the point of cops?

If someone threatens to kill you, the cops can't do anything about that. Its word vs word. They rarely seem to prevent crime, but only to address it after the fact.

We really need a better system in place. Few fear the police. They fear prison, but not the police. Which makes the cops almost obsolete, especially when you consider the volume of crooked or abusive officers.

:confusedshrug:

Kobr 12-29-2012 07:21 PM

Re: What's the point of cops?

We need pre-crime forces like in that one Tom Cruise movie.

Kews1 12-29-2012 07:22 PM

How are people going to end up in prison without cops to do that job for us, do you expect people to start handing themselves in to prisons after they commit crimes... :confusedshrug:

Loneshot 12-29-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobr
We need pre-crime forces like in that one Tom Cruise movie.

Haha, i was thinking about that too, but then i remembered how even that got corrupted. Good ol' humanity :facepalm

Loneshot 12-29-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kews1
How are people going to end up in prison without and cops to do that job for us, do you expect people to start handing themselves in to prisons after they commit crimes... :confusedshrug:

I'm sure we can find more effective ways than your local police when it comes to arresting someone. The problem i'm referring to is that they hardly ever stop serious crimes. They come in after the crime is done to find out who did it and arrest them. We need to prevent the crime in the first place, and i'm beginning to wonder how cops play into that role.

Skywalker 12-29-2012 07:24 PM

You think police presence doesn't prevent crimes ?

red1 12-29-2012 07:27 PM

cmon op

Loneshot 12-29-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
You think police presence doesn't prevent crimes ?

I've seen first hand, on dozens of occasions where the cops are called because of a disturbance, and other than the cops saying "hey, calm down, don't do that, or we'll take you in." Nothing is done. And what happens days or a week later, same thing. All they do is promote the fear of prison, but to individuals who are smart enough to know what they can get away with, the cops can't do anything.

It is sort of like that pre-crime movie; they arrest people after knowing they will definitely commit the crime. Cops can't do that, so if someone decides to shoot you while you're checking the mail, you're dead. Sure that person may go to jail after the fact, but you're still dead.

I guess that is what annoys me. Their only tool is the fear of prison, but i know a lot of people who have been in and out of prison so much they just don't give a damn if they go back or not. Our police systems seems very amateur when you think about it. You'd think we'd have a better idea about how to prevent crime, as oppose to only have a way to punish crime and think we prevent further crime through the fear of what we do to those who convicted of crime. Is it working? It doesn't feel like it, but maybe in a world without them there would be more crime. I can't tell because there's so much right now.

macmac 12-29-2012 07:53 PM

These are questions I would ask myself when I was 5-6yrs old, before I realized the world isn't perfect and society isn't a flawless system of co-existence

niko 12-29-2012 10:21 PM

This is one of the stupider threads i've seen on this board. Think on that for a second.

LamarOdom 12-29-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
This is one of the stupider threads i've seen on this board. Think on that for a second.

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac
These are questions I would ask myself when I was 5-6yrs old, before I realized the world isn't perfect and society isn't a flawless system of co-existence

This.

Any adult human with common sense should know the answer to this.

Qwyjibo 12-29-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneshot
If someone threatens to kill you, the cops can't do anything about that. Its word vs word. They rarely seem to prevent crime, but only to address it after the fact.

We really need a better system in place. Few fear the police. They fear prison, but not the police. Which makes the cops almost obsolete, especially when you consider the volume of crooked or abusive officers.

Future Negged.

Reason: A fucking idiotic post.

Balla_Status 12-29-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

How bout the 2nd, 3rd or 4th crime the criminal commits?

Riddler 12-29-2012 11:10 PM

I heard some @sshole on CNN the other day say something along the lines of:

"The NYP should go on strike until we have better gun control laws."

That would be a fun little experiment to witness... A city as big as New York without a police force.

ace23 12-29-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

What's the point of cops?

GOAT thread