Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285825)

TheFastOne 12-30-2012 01:01 PM

Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Living in Holland there's a small chance you will get in touch with basketball. I'm 16 now and I really feel like playing basketball on a competitive level. I play soccer at a reasonable level making my debut at 15 for our first team. Another interesting thing might be that I'm 6'8. I outpace 90% of the people and I'm reunite good at positioning as a defender who has to go for the headers. I just wonder if it's true that your footwork improves from playing soccer.

There's a horrible court close where the ring hangs at least 1 foot too high, and when I go there I'm all by myself shooting jumpers or driving to the basket. Have any of you got tips on how to improve technically and how to train my body from a soccerbody to a hoopsbody.

Thanks for reading and helping out I'm advance :cheers:

Burgz V2 12-30-2012 04:35 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFastOne
Living in Holland there's a small chance you will get in touch with basketball. I'm 16 now and I really feel like playing basketball on a competitive level. I play soccer at a reasonable level making my debut at 15 for our first team. Another interesting thing might be that I'm 6'8. I outpace 90% of the people and I'm reunite good at positioning as a defender who has to go for the headers. I just wonder if it's true that your footwork improves from playing soccer.

There's a horrible court close where the ring hangs at least 1 foot too high, and when I go there I'm all by myself shooting jumpers or driving to the basket. Have any of you got tips on how to improve technically and how to train my body from a soccerbody to a hoopsbody.

Thanks for reading and helping out I'm advance :cheers:


awesome. At that height and age you could say picking up basketball is a good choice :lol

It's never too late to start playing basketball, especially someone your height. Hakeem Olajuwon didn't start playing basketball until he was 17 or something, and he also used to play soccer (albeit he was a goalkeeper lol)

Soccer players seem to be more efficient in the way they utilize their steps and footwork. So you might have an advantage at that. I would first start by soaking up as much as you can from just WATCHING basketball players your size play and then emulating. You're starting from scratch so don't worry about technique just yet, you first need to learn how basketball players move about the court, before you will understand how and why you should do certain things in the game.

Go find any player you like and watch videos of them on youtube and break down their steps in slow motion. I used to do this with guys like MJ, John Stockton, Gary Payton when I was a kid (but we didn't have youtube, you just had to catch it as quick as you could lol) then copy.

Also, since you might not be used to using your hands, try and dribble a tennis ball as many times as you can without looking at it. This is really hard for even the most experienced basketball players, but if you can manage to do it, you'll be well on your way to having a good feel for the ball.

From there you must learn how to consistent "be strong" with the basketball. This means gripping the ball tight every time you have two hands on it (which should be ALL the time if you are not dribbling) and must learn how to dribble HARD and LOW, below your knees.

Lots of great drills on youtube, but for starters, watch some videos of great players at each position, and soak up as much as you can.

TheFastOne 12-31-2012 09:34 AM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
awesome. At that height and age you could say picking up basketball is a good choice :lol

It's never too late to start playing basketball, especially someone your height. Hakeem Olajuwon didn't start playing basketball until he was 17 or something, and he also used to play soccer (albeit he was a goalkeeper lol)

Soccer players seem to be more efficient in the way they utilize their steps and footwork. So you might have an advantage at that. I would first start by soaking up as much as you can from just WATCHING basketball players your size play and then emulating. You're starting from scratch so don't worry about technique just yet, you first need to learn how basketball players move about the court, before you will understand how and why you should do certain things in the game.

Go find any player you like and watch videos of them on youtube and break down their steps in slow motion. I used to do this with guys like MJ, John Stockton, Gary Payton when I was a kid (but we didn't have youtube, you just had to catch it as quick as you could lol) then copy.

Also, since you might not be used to using your hands, try and dribble a tennis ball as many times as you can without looking at it. This is really hard for even the most experienced basketball players, but if you can manage to do it, you'll be well on your way to having a good feel for the ball.

From there you must learn how to consistent "be strong" with the basketball. This means gripping the ball tight every time you have two hands on it (which should be ALL the time if you are not dribbling) and must learn how to dribble HARD and LOW, below your knees.

Lots of great drills on youtube, but for starters, watch some videos of great players at each position, and soak up as much as you can.

I'll start with the tennisball. And watching a lot of KG in the post :applause:
I'm gonna call you my private coach :lol

Burgz V2 12-31-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFastOne
I'll start with the tennisball. And watching a lot of KG in the post :applause:
I'm gonna call you my private coach :lol


a lot of good posters on here, i think you'll end up with a lot more help than just me

I was gonna say KG as well, but don't spend all your time on just one player, try and take bits and pieces of things from all players

good luck :cheers:

mr beast 12-31-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFastOne
Living in Holland there's a small chance you will get in touch with basketball. I'm 16 now and I really feel like playing basketball on a competitive level. I play soccer at a reasonable level making my debut at 15 for our first team. Another interesting thing might be that I'm 6'8. I outpace 90% of the people and I'm reunite good at positioning as a defender who has to go for the headers. I just wonder if it's true that your footwork improves from playing soccer.

There's a horrible court close where the ring hangs at least 1 foot too high, and when I go there I'm all by myself shooting jumpers or driving to the basket. Have any of you got tips on how to improve technically and how to train my body from a soccerbody to a hoopsbody.

Thanks for reading and helping out I'm advance :cheers:


you dont really need anything to get into street ball but given your height and athelticism from soccer, i think you may have a chance of making it to more than street ball.

theres no secret, you just have to work hard, my advice would be focus on 1 thing at a time. (for example, focus on shooting, once you get pretty good at it, move on to something else and start adding to your game, or you can train on all aspects but you'll improve slow but steady which can be frustrating) i personally prefer that you excel at 1 thing first so you feel that you are becoming better, also when you have 1 deadly skill, it opens up all other aspect of the game much easier.

Rubio2Gasol 01-01-2013 12:18 AM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
I was in a similar situation to you when I began playing ball (A long time ago).Basketball really picked up in Spain back in 92' after the Olympics , so when I first got into it at that point I was already pretty old and was predominantly interested in football.

Same story with the hoop lol. There was one like running distance from my house but the grown was uneven (so forget working on your handle) and the rim was lower than it was supposed to be. Noone else was really interested in it, so i ended up there just shooting most of the time.

What football club do you play for? First team debut at 15 :eek:

My main advice is to get someone to check you at least occasionally. It was really difficult transitioning from just shooting open shot after open shot to having to actually play against people :lol . If you can't do that set up some cones or something to challenge yourself.

The next thing that helped me was actually having someone throw the ball to me during practices when I was in the US. It was just much easier to run off the ball and shoot because it meant having to deal with less defense.

My advice is if you don't have some sort of magically quick first step, watch Paul Pierce. His offensive footwork is some of the best I've seen for a guy with little real quickness. Learn the step back and all it's variants (especially the Nowitzki fade) , it's the most beautifully simple , practicable shot that's useful from almost any range, in any situation.

When you start getting into some competitive games or some pickup I will have more. You need to get an idea of what position you want to play. You're tall enough to be a center on most teams and if you're a center you want to focus on defense and rebounding.

Pushxx 01-01-2013 01:47 AM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Only advice I'll give you is never practice on a rim that isn't 10 feet. It's gonna fuck all your shit up. If that means you can't practice basketball, don't bother.

Shooting a basketball is muscle memory. If the hoop isn't standard, you are doing yourself a disservice.

eliteballer 01-01-2013 11:09 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Playing soccer should do wonders for your balance and footwork..

TheFastOne 01-02-2013 11:10 AM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Thanks everyone. I'll keep you updated once I'm recovered from my torn ligaments.

stevieming 01-03-2013 06:00 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
The problem you're going to have is finding decent games with good players.....

There's only so much you can do in terms of improving on your own, playing against different players and getting some coaching and tips from other players will help your game...and make it more fun as well...

Stuckey 01-07-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
I started when I was 17

took it seriously at 18 but was too late to make a school team

I got good fast because I spent so much time practicing and playing pick up. My competition was pretty weak but that helped a lot in gaining confidence and trying and using new things.

Learning the team game and offensive, defensive schemes is a lot harder than learning how to iso

Rake2204 01-09-2013 03:52 PM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Question, are you able to research and find local basketball courts, leagues, or open gyms where you might be able to develop experience through participating with other players. Even better, are there any camps or official teams in your area featuring coaches guiding young players such as yourself? Developing solo is admirable, but integrating oneself within a semi-official basketball environment can also go a long way in creating sound fundamental basketball habits right from the start.

TheFastOne 01-11-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Picking up basketball at 16 as a soccer player(6'8)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
Question, are you able to research and find local basketball courts, leagues, or open gyms where you might be able to develop experience through participating with other players. Even better, are there any camps or official teams in your area featuring coaches guiding young players such as yourself? Developing solo is admirable, but integrating oneself within a semi-official basketball environment can also go a long way in creating sound fundamental basketball habits right from the start.

Basketball-camps are unknown here. It's soccer all the way, which is lovely as well. Finding competition and people who are willing to play basketball seriously is incredibly difficult.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy