Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   03-04 Pistons (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286103)

LBJFTW 01-02-2013 05:57 PM

03-04 Pistons

What other teams have won it all without having a single player average more than 17.6 ppg during the regular season and 21.5 ppg in the playoffs?

What other team has had 4 players all on the all-star team that same year with such low ppg compared to other teams?

All this talk about 1a/1b Shaq/Kobe, Jordan/Pippen, Wade/Lebron and who's better.

Who cares? Basketball is a team game and it's rather moot to worry about 1a/1b issues when you have a team like the 04 pistons that showed the world how to win a championship without having a 28ppg superstar on your team.

Stuckey 01-02-2013 06:01 PM

Re: 03-04 Pistons

absolutely

tpols 01-02-2013 06:01 PM

Funny thing nobody remembers is that the Nets gave them the toughest fight and they had no top flight scorer either.. Just jkidd at 18ppg or something. Nets were up 3-2 choked it away.

Yao Ming's Foot 01-02-2013 06:02 PM

Yeah have one of the greatest defenses of all time.

:confusedshrug:

Legends66NBA7 01-02-2013 06:08 PM

Very true, but it's also harder to duplicate that type of success with no true superstar.

Superstar players make things easier for your teams to have more success for now and the future. You only need in reality 2 superstar players and good role players around to make it work.

The Pistons after the Rasheed trade were truly a special team, though. One game away from winning back to back NBA titles. Just imagine how different the legacies of those key players would have been if they won Game 7 vs the Spurs. It might have even changed the way teams play to win in the modern era for a certain extent of time.

imdaman99 01-02-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpols
Funny thing nobody remembers is that the Nets gave them the toughest fight and they had no top flight scorer either.. Just jkidd at 18ppg or something. Nets were up 3-2 choked it away.

They didn't exactly choke it away. The pistons finally woke up. I remember they got the necessary road win in game 6 and blew the nets doors off including shutting Kidd down to the tune of 0 pts in game 7. A great team :applause:

VIP2000 01-02-2013 06:39 PM

Technically, Ben Wallace was the only All-star on the team that year. Billups and Rip didn't play in the All-Star game until two seasons later.

Y2Gezee 01-02-2013 06:40 PM

That Nets team broke down. Kidd and Kmart went into that series needing surgeries that ultimately changed their careers. Kidd was already older at that point and had the Microfracture surgery. Kenyon needed it, but it was a contract year and he played a season in Denver before getting it, and ultimately that season in Denver screwed up both of his knees.

But...yes the Pistons were a great team. They didn't have a superstar, but they had all star level players that knew their roles, and performed them well. Even though they had some success afterwards though, the success of that team resided with Larry Brown for the most part. He got them to fully buy in, and made the Sheed addition work seamlessly. But, it started with a great defensive frontcourt (Rip and Chauncey played their roles defensively too, but neither were all defensive worthy in the least...maybe Rip more than Billups who actually made the team one year), Linday Hunter off the bench was great defensively too. And offensively, they were just a bunch of unselfish guys that played for each other.

jlip 01-02-2013 07:51 PM

While the numbers may be slightly off from the ones mentioned in the OP, the balanced offensive style of play was run by several championship teams such as the 60's Celtics, '77 Blazers, and Bad Boy Pistons.

ThaRegul8r 01-02-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlip
While the numbers may be slightly off from the ones mentioned in the OP, the balanced offensive style of play was run by several championship teams such as the 60's Celtics, '77 Blazers, and Bad Boy Pistons.

Red Auerbach: If the NBA's weekly Top Ten meant anything, the Celtics's wouldn't have any right to compete in the league. We seldom had anybody among the leading scorers. We might have had Cousy leading in assists (or K.C. later), Sharman in foul shooting (or Larry Siegfried later), or Russell in rebounding (before Mr. Chamberlain), or Sam Jones hanging in among top scorers. Where did we get all the points then? Without cluttering up that list of the Top Ten, we always had six or seven men scoring in double figures.

Oh, it's nice to have superstars but winning basketball goes beyond the superstar.

The secret is balance. The secret is teamwork. The secret is hustle, desire, pride, sacrifice. The secret is defense; my guys knew they had to stop the other side and not just depend on their own offensive power. They knew I would never keep them in there to build up their own averages but only to help us win. They knew I didn't look at the statistics -- can you measure heart with numbers? -- but only at the games, one after another.

Bandito 01-02-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJFTW
What other teams have won it all without having a single player average more than 17.6 ppg during the regular season and 21.5 ppg in the playoffs?

What other team has had 4 players all on the all-star team that same year with such low ppg compared to other teams?

All this talk about 1a/1b Shaq/Kobe, Jordan/Pippen, Wade/Lebron and who's better.

Who cares? Basketball is a team game and it's rather moot to worry about 1a/1b issues when you have a team like the 04 pistons that showed the world how to win a championship without having a 28ppg superstar on your team.

Quoted for truth. Team trumps individual achievements everytime. When the Pistons beat the 04 Lakers it showed that with hard work anyone can beat the elite. It literally was David vs. Goliath that year. And they almost repeated in 05 against the Spurs but they were so stacked at the time it was ridiculous. :banghead: :roll:

I have never seen a team like that win a championship since I started watching basketball.

I think the Spurs are the team closest to what the Pistons were at that point.

Draz 01-02-2013 09:02 PM

Me and my barber was JUST talking about this during my cut. The Pistons were an amazing team, man, what the PHUCK happened to them?

Rake2204 01-02-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draz
Me and my barber was JUST talking about this during my cut. The Pistons were an amazing team, man, what the PHUCK happened to them?

They just couldn't bridge the gap. Some great teams are fortunate to be able to piece one era to the next, Detroit couldn't make it happen. Joe Dumars catches a lot of flak and he undoubtedly made mistakes, but it's tougher than some people realize to take a team with a slowly aging core and trying to ensure you re-bolster the lineup without giving up on the current squad.