Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reality Check on Gun Control (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287454)

IamRAMBO24 01-16-2013 01:38 AM

Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Reality Check

Hard to argue against Reality Check.

MMM 01-16-2013 01:53 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
What I find interesting is how any change in the existing laws can be claimed as the first step to take away guns by opponents of gun control. If the government wants to restrict certain weapons, which they are entitled to do, then the opponents will justify it as one step to eventually taking all guns. Genuinely speaking, what laws would be acceptable to law-abiding gun owners??? Because it seems even things such as registrations of weapons would be seen as an infringement on rights.

IamRAMBO24 01-16-2013 02:10 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
What I find interesting is how any change in the existing laws can be claimed as the first step to take away guns by opponents of gun control. If the government wants to restrict certain weapons, which they are entitled to do, then the opponents will justify it as one step to eventually taking all guns. Genuinely speaking, what laws would be acceptable to law-abiding gun owners??? Because it seems even things such as registrations of weapons would be seen as an infringement on rights.


That is not the argument, the argument the anti-gun advocates are upholding is that "Possession of firearms will lead to mass murder."

Which is a false premise as Reality Check pointed out. Of course gun murders are higher in the US because of the possession of more guns, but more violent crimes are being committed per capita in the UK, which doesn't involve the use of guns but by other violent means, and based on the low percentage of gun ownership it could hypothetically increase such violent crimes as burglary.

miller-time 01-16-2013 02:32 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
That is not the argument, the argument the anti-gun advocates are upholding is that "Possession of firearms will lead to mass murder."

Which is a false premise as Reality Check pointed out. Of course gun murders are higher in the US because of the possession of more guns, but more violent crimes are being committed per capita in the UK, which doesn't involve the use of guns but by other violent means, and based on the low percentage of gun ownership it could hypothetically increase such violent crimes as burglary.


Funnily enough I confronted a burglar today. I was at my Grandma's house and I was just leaving and we thought we saw someone on her neighbors property pushing on a window. We didn't think much of it because we assumed he was supposed to be there (the guy was dressed sort of like a tradesman). We kept walking up the drive and then he must of spotted us and tried to hide behind this low wall with some bushes next to it, which actually gave him away. I went up the neighbors driveway and asked him what he was doing and he said *he was getting a drink of water. I just said "uhuh" and stared at him. He just started walking away slowly, once he got to the sidewalk he sped up a bit and turned at the corner. Didn't see him after that.

The point is though that burglary isn't really a violent crime. As I've said before, they want your stuff, they don't want to be bothered with you. Whether you have guns or not they are more likely to enter your home when you aren't there. And if you aren't home, what difference does owning a gun make?

*Edit - actually he said he was getting some water, because when he left we looked for a tap around where he was and there wasn't one.

MMM 01-16-2013 02:38 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Also restricting guns is constitutional from my understanding but you would still be able to defend your self. I don't see anyone arguing for ban on all guns. The problem seems to be that there is very little trust in anything that the government offers up on this matter.

DirtySanchez 01-16-2013 02:43 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Ben Swann is comparing USA to super dangerous countries as 28th most homocides. The countries that are 27th to most homicides are 100% all lawless countries in Central America, South America, Northern EX-Soviet Union (belarus, Latvia) and middle east. PROPANGANDA, let the sheeps follow the shepard...

Nice try gun freaks

IamRAMBO24 01-16-2013 02:46 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time
Funnily enough I confronted a burglar today. I was at my Grandma's house and I was just leaving and we thought we saw someone on her neighbors property pushing on a window. We didn't think much of it because we assumed he was supposed to be there (the guy was dressed sort of like a tradesman). We kept walking up the drive and then he must of spotted us and tried to hide behind this low wall with some bushes next to it, which actually gave him away. I went up the neighbors driveway and asked him what he was doing and he said *he was getting a drink of water. I just said "uhuh" and stared at him. He just started walking away slowly, once he got to the sidewalk he sped up a bit and turned at the corner. Didn't see him after that.

The point is though that burglary isn't really a violent crime. As I've said before, they want your stuff, they don't want to be bothered with you. Whether you have guns or not they are more likely to enter your home when you aren't there. And if you aren't home, what difference does owning a gun make?

*Edit - actually he said he was getting some water, because when he left we looked for a tap around where he was and there wasn't one.


I don't see what is your point. I don't need to pull out stats to prove a burglar will more likely rob a house without a gun than one with one. A rapist will more likely rape a woman without a gun than one with one. This is why you don't ever hear about cops getting raped or robbed.

Again, the argument rests on a false premise: the assumption that possession in and of itself will lead to more violence, which is completely untrue.

Guns don't kill people, people do. Protection is not a sin. I'm sorry, this premise is full proof. Your premise is horse sh*t.

miller-time 01-16-2013 02:49 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
I don't need to pull out stats to prove a burglar will more likely rob a house without a gun than one with one.


How would a burglar know if the house has a gun or not? The burglar can only best guess that no one is in the house.

Nanners 01-16-2013 02:55 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
this thread makes my head hurt

vinsane01 01-16-2013 03:07 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Is the classification of violent crime similar in all countries? because it may or (may not) destroy the whole argument. Also, im interested to see the official number of violent crimes in the UK or australia before and after the gun ban. Quick googling says they are going up..

miller-time 01-16-2013 03:13 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinsane01
Is the classification of violent crime similar in all countries? because it may or (may not) destroy the whole argument. Also, im interested to see the official number of violent crimes in the UK or australia before and after the gun ban. Quick googling says they are going up..


http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...ross-Australia

IamRAMBO24 01-16-2013 03:16 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time
How would a burglar know if the house has a gun or not? The burglar can only best guess that no one is in the house.


Most burglars aren't stupid; they don't randomly walk down the street and say, "Hey let's rob that house with the lowest lit lighting." Most burglaries are from neighbors, friends, or family members that have inside knowledge of the house they are going to burglarize. Violent burglars who use force will more likely rob a house with the intel that the home owner does not have a gun for fear of retribution. If they know the house does not have a gun, they can just force their way into the house with their illegal arms and hold the owners captive while they rape their children and steal their property, which is actually a huge problem California (one of the strictest states with gun laws) is experiencing by asian gang members.

IamRAMBO24 01-16-2013 03:19 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time

MORE VIOLENT CRIMES DESPITE GUN BANS

*Posted to refute that the gun ban had any effect in the low violent crimes; for example, if the overall crime rate rose 42% after the gun ban and then increased to over 43% and then back to 43% in 2012, then how the f*ck does that mean the gun ban has any impact in deterring crimes overall in Australia when the rate increased by 42% after the ban took effect.

Nice way of picking and choosing your stats without looking at the overall picture dumbsh*t.

daily 01-16-2013 03:25 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Most burglars aren't stupid

Yes they are. That's why they're burglars and not law abiding citzens

iamgine 01-16-2013 03:26 AM

Re: Reality Check on Gun Control
 
I thought the issue is banning rifles. Not all guns.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy