Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   What if EA gets exclusive right for NBA like they did for NFL? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287837)

Kiddlovesnets 01-19-2013 11:04 PM

What if EA gets exclusive right for NBA like they did for NFL?

Would the basketball gaming industry be suffering a significant downgrade and never able to return to the quality it is today until that contract expires? Right now NBA 2K is far better than EA's NBA Live, its not even a contest. Unfortunately, the only way EA can actually compete is to purchase this 'exclusive right'.

clipse026 01-19-2013 11:13 PM

Re: What if EA gets exclusive right for NBA like they did for NFL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Would the basketball gaming industry be suffering a significant downgrade and never able to return to the quality it is today until that contract expires? Right now NBA 2K is far better than EA's NBA Live, its not even a contest. Unfortunately, the only way EA can actually compete is to purchase this 'exclusive right'.

Yes. Look what happens to everything else they get exclusive rights to. :cry:

Brujesino 01-19-2013 11:35 PM

I thought of that when they canceled Live 13 they were just gonna win via having more money.

That would be ****ing terrible.

irondarts 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

It would definitely be horrible. Don't think 2K would be willing to let it happen though. I'm sure they'd seriously open their checkbook.

Rake2204 01-27-2013 10:48 PM

I think there was fear of this happening in the mid-00's after the NFL move and MLB third party exclusivity (The Show only exists because it's made by a first party, Sony; 2K owns the rights otherwise). However, I think the NBA's stance historically has been to actively stay away from exclusivity. They like having a variance in product and hopefully that does not change.

Heavincent 01-28-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Right now NBA 2K is far better than EA's NBA Live, its not even a contest.

It's not hard to beat out a game that doesn't even exist :lol

Given the recent success of NBA 2K, and the complete and utter failure of Live, it's hard to even imagine this scenario.

MtMutombo 02-09-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavincent
It's not hard to beat out a game that doesn't even exist :lol

Given the recent success of NBA 2K, and the complete and utter failure of Live, it's hard to even imagine this scenario.

2K was getting some serious converts from Madden back when thy were making football games. Lets say EA puts out a half decent game for two years and then suddenly has the NBA license... 2k bball could be dead.

NBA did come out and say they wouldnt sell the license but the truth is that could change any day. And it's been 8 years since that was their stance on the video game license. I really, really hope not. I love 2k... Wouldnt mind some competition but I think that license buying should be barred.

Kiddlovesnets 02-11-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtMutombo
2K was getting some serious converts from Madden back when thy were making football games. Lets say EA puts out a half decent game for two years and then suddenly has the NBA license... 2k bball could be dead.

Thats true, but the problem is that the basketball video game industry is going to suffer a mighty blow way worse than football video games.