Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MMA Primer? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289473)

fpliii 02-02-2013 01:58 AM

MMA Primer?

I'd like to get into watching the sport. Where should I start? Who are the big stars today (or in its history)?

Can someone give me a breakdown of the different fighting styles, and some examples of guys today (and in the sport's history) that best represent them?

What are the big events? What's coming up soon that I should watch?

Those are the questions I have for starters...help me get into MMA, OTC!

:cheers:

jaydacris 02-02-2013 02:17 AM

Re: MMA Primer?

we have a pretty big mma following here on ish

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=215880

official thread is here
:)

gigantes 02-02-2013 02:55 AM

big, big night tomorrow night.

maybe you could head over to a sports bar in your area and check it out. that would be a good introduction and would give you lots of specifics to ask about.

otherwise, a good way would be to just cruise MMA highlights on youtube and take it from there. pretty sure WP has long articles about MMA, UFC, etc when you feel like studying an introduction.

be sure to start with the fun stuff, like frye - takayama or such...

fpliii 02-02-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydacris
we have a pretty big mma following here on ish

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=215880

official thread is here
:)

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
big, big night tomorrow night.

maybe you could head over to a sports bar in your area and check it out. that would be a good introduction and would give you lots of specifics to ask about.

otherwise, a good way would be to just cruise MMA highlights on youtube and take it from there. pretty sure WP has long articles about MMA, UFC, etc when you feel like studying an introduction.

be sure to start with the fun stuff, like frye - takayama or such...

great idea, thanks for the heads up

:cheers:

hateraid 02-02-2013 03:50 AM

Great card but fairly predictable other than the main event. I think the world is most anticipating Overeem's return and predictable, yet most likely explosive KO

pauk 02-02-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpliii
I'd like to get into watching the sport. Where should I start? Who are the big stars today (or in its history)?

Can someone give me a breakdown of the different fighting styles, and some examples of guys today (and in the sport's history) that best represent them?

I would really recommend you starting with UFC 1 (with a hint of Pride FC) and watch your way all the way up to current upcoming UFC 156, its very much worth it... UFC back then had almost no rules, fought without gloves, had no sponsors or fight clubs or anything like that, no weightclass, it was a 100% pure 1on1 crazy cage fight you would see ONLY in a Van Damme movie or in a bar or something.... the fighters were very one dimensional, the sport was not a sport yet.... a skinny karate expert fighting a 500 lbs sumo wrestler and so on... it was crazy, but you will find it very entertaining, infact maybe more entertaining than MMA today... :)

While moving forwards you will see/learn about the evolution of MMA in every detail and which fighters revolutionized it with certain martial arts and why those martial arts are the most important fighting techniques today (in MMA or in your random bar fight)... how it all became to be today and how these best fighters became to be what they are today by combining those best arts...

Quote:

What are the big events? What's coming up soon that I should watch?

Keep yourself updated by going to www.mmajunkie.com you will see all the upcoming events and/or past events/results....

The most important thing to follow is UFC... its the NBA of MMA...

Next upcoming very big UFC event is UFC 156 on FX / Pay-per-view @ 7:00 PM, EST

If you cant catch it on TV you can watch MMA/UFC live on for example firstrowsports site or wait until the next day and dl the events like me, i use www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net for that, infact you can dl ALL the UFC events that ever happened there, i can send you (or anybody else) an invite if you have trouble registering.

gigantes 02-02-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
I would really recommend you starting with UFC 1 (with a hint of Pride FC) and watch your way all the way up to current upcoming UFC 156, its very much worth it...

after doing all that he'll pretty much be a lock to replace mike goldberg.

what's it feel like to be nearly famous already, fpliii?

pauk 02-02-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Joe Rogan is much more knowledgable. :P

Anyways, Fpliii it wont take much of your time, you can watch the highlights at least.... i just think you would appreciate and understand MMA today much better if you could of witnessed the evolution yourself, one of the most important figures in that evolution aspect was Royce Gracie who was the first guy to present BJJ to the UFC... watching early UFCs you will see how devastating BJJ was upon ANY martial arts/artists that didnt know BJJ (and basically nobody knew it back then except him).... it was just hilarious, watch a one dimensional fighter constantly prevail against 500 lbs Monsters or Wrestlers or Boxing, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Karate, TKD etc. experts... simply because he knew BJJ and they didnt...

gigantes 02-02-2013 04:43 AM

that's exactly why i wanted to gentle him in with goldberg. there'll be time to topple rogan, later!

fpliii 02-02-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

I would really recommend you starting with UFC 1 (with a hint of Pride FC) and watch your way all the way up to current upcoming UFC 156, its very much worth it... UFC back then had almost no rules, fought without gloves, had no sponsors or fight clubs or anything like that, no weightclass, it was a 100% pure 1on1 crazy cage fight you would see ONLY in a Van Damme movie or in a bar or something.... the fighters were very one dimensional, the sport was not a sport yet.... a skinny karate expert fighting a 500 lbs sumo wrestler and so on... it was crazy, but you will find it very entertaining, infact maybe more entertaining than MMA today... :)

While moving forwards you will see/learn about the evolution of MMA in every detail and which fighters revolutionized it with certain martial arts and why those martial arts are the most important fighting techniques today (in MMA or in your random bar fight)... how it all became to be today and how these best fighters became to be what they are today by combining those best arts...

Keep yourself updated by going to www.mmajunkie.com you will see all the upcoming events and/or past events/results....

The most important thing to follow is UFC... its the NBA of MMA...

Next upcoming very big UFC event is UFC 156 on FX / Pay-per-view @ 7:00 PM, EST

If you cant catch it on TV you can watch MMA/UFC live on for example firstrowsports site or wait until the next day and dl the events like me, i use www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net for that, infact you can dl ALL the UFC events that ever happened there, i can send you (or anybody else) an invite if you have trouble registering.

All 155 previous UFCs? Damn...should I check out the main events, or everything on the card?

I'm going to head to the bar with my roommates in a few minutes for tonight's fight, hopefully I'll pick up on some stuff. Thanks for the torrent link (firstrowsports and to a lesser extent oleloletv are great for streams), I'll PM you if I need help. :cheers:

Quote:

lol

Quote:

Joe Rogan is much more knowledgable. :P

Anyways, Fpliii it wont take much of your time, you can watch the highlights at least.... i just think you would appreciate and understand MMA today much better if you could of witnessed the evolution yourself, one of the most important figures in that evolution aspect was Royce Gracie who was the first guy to present BJJ to the UFC... watching early UFCs you will see how devastating BJJ was upon ANY martial arts/artists that didnt know BJJ (and basically nobody knew it back then except him).... it was just hilarious, watch a one dimensional fighter constantly prevail against 500 lbs Monsters or Wrestlers or Boxing, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Karate, TKD etc. experts... simply because he knew BJJ and they didnt...

Thanks again for the suggestion...the bolded sounds like some Street Fighter shit lol nice.

bdreason 02-02-2013 07:47 PM

The original UFC's were a bit fixed. The Gracies wanted to use it as tool to market Gracie BJJ, which is fine... but they didn't allow other grapplers into the event. For example, Oleg Taktarov, a Russian Sambo expert, who eventually won a UFC event, was denied entry into the first few UFC's. With his size advantage, there is a good change he would have beaten Royce Gracie.

I've followed UFC and MMA since UFC1, but I don't think watching all the earlier events is really a necessity for understanding modern MMA. I think, if for time contraints alone, you should just watch footage of some of the pioneers and legends in the sport; guys who changed the fight game. Obviously Royce Gracie is one of those fighters.

Othesr I would recommend looking up include;

Royce Gracie - Winner of 1st two UFC's
Dan Severn - The first non-BJJ fighter to win in UFC (not counting Jennum)
Ken Shamrock - The 1st grappler allowed to challenge Royce
Frank Shamrock - First LHW Champ and well-rounded fighter
Don Frye - One of the first truely well-rounded UFC champs
Matt Hughes - Dominated the UFC WW division with his wrestling
Chuck Liddell - Pioneer of modern sprawl and brawl
BJ Penn - Amazing talent that held titles in multiple divisions
Wanderlei Silva - long time Pride MW champ and vicious MT fighter
Fedor Emeliananko - long time Pride HW champ
Mirko CroCop - "right foot hospital, left foot cemetery" (homer pick)

I won't bother listing modern champs like GSP and Silva, because those are obvious. There are plenty of other great fighters in the history of the sport, but it would take me an hour to list them all.

Jackass18 02-03-2013 01:39 AM

You could watch current fights and then when you see guys you like, then check out their history. Starting out seeking out the most heralded fights in MMA history is another good way to go, but then you're effected by other people's biases. I'd probably say to go check out past fights from the top guys in history.

HW: Fedor, Big Nog, Couture, Cro Cop, Barnett
LHW: Liddell, Wandy, Jon Jones, Shogun, Dan Henderson
MW: Anderson Silva, Franklin, Sonnen (well, you probably don't have to invest much time in the MW division)
WW: GSP, Shields, Condit, Hughes, Fitch
LW: Penn, Edgar, Melendez, Gomi, Ben Henderson
FW and below: Aldo, Faber, Torres, Cruz, Bowles, Benavidez
Plenty of others: Sakuraba, Gracies, Frank Shamrock, Rutten, Vovchancyn, Severn, Ortiz, etc...

fpliii 02-04-2013 04:19 PM

Had a chance to watch most of the fights (including the main event) the other night; definitely entertaining, but a lot of the people at the bar who seemed in tune with the sport told me that it was a weird night and I shouldn't form an opinion based on just that night.

I'll have to do some research (reading articles and watching archived fights) before contributing to the MMA thread since I'm a bit behind, but watching/learning about the sport will definitely a really fun hobby to pick up.

:rockon: I'll rep the guys in this thread as I have a chance.

gigantes 02-04-2013 05:36 PM

excellent. :cheers:

IMO one of the best things you can do is to read a good writer's take on what you just watched while it's still fresh in your mind. like, any particular fights that stood out for you?

ESPN MMA has a nice section that is useful for all levels of MMA fans. hard to go wrong with their articles on the sport. none of that subscription-based BS, either, like some of their other sections.

AlphaWolf24 02-04-2013 07:04 PM

- Long time ago in Japan.....warriors perfected hand to hand combat....smaller men vs Bigger men could attack and win if they were able to fight while bieng in a dominant position on the ground....Judo andJiu Jitsu was a martial art that taught the ability to wrestle/throw your opponent to the ground and get in a top position.....also taught some arm locks....and joint manipulation.( even though Romans had the Gladiators...and wrestling....jiu Jitsu perfected those techniques)

- white man invents Firearms and Bombs......hand to hand combat is pretty much useless.....some still practice the Martial Arts...but not really needed in combat any more.

- in the early 1900's Japanese Judo expert goes to Brazil to Fight in a Vale Tudo ( anything goes Fight ....you could fight any way you wanted except no biting....first man who quits or gets KO'd loses) spectacle..pretty much a carnival spectacle once or twice a year...

Little Japanese Man beats the carnivals strong man.....Japanese man teaches some Brazzillians ( Gracie Family ) how to Throw your opponent and break thier arms....

Skinny/Sickly Helio Gracie isn't really strong enough to wrestle his opponent...he always ends up on the bottom.....so he figures out a way to win from fighting off of your back...and it works really well....( Now we have Gracie Jiu Jitsu)

over 50 years pass and skinny Helio wins alt of Vale Tudo matches fighting his style of Jiu Jitsu....

Helios son Rorion wants to take his fathers Martial Art to America and show Americans that skinny guys can beat up bench pressing Muscle heads....or at least his style BJJ is the best Martial Art...

Rorion thinks up a Vale Tudo style spectacle.....Americans favorite Martial Arts...like Boxing , Wrestling , Kung Fu,Kickboxing...and Karate.....vs his little brother Royce and thier family's BJJ style.

( I know someone said that teh Gracies fixed the fights so Royce could win.....Rorion made Royce fight style vs style....why put Royce vs another Submission grappler hen he had many other fighters who said that Boxing or wrestling was better)

Royce faught a Pro Boxer and won.....He faught a Division 1 wrestler who severly out weighed him and won...he faught Karate masters and won.....he faught Kung Fu masters and won....he faught Sumo wrestlers and won.....he faught Champion Kick boxers and won....

all while bieng the smallest fighter....his style proved to Americans...that hey...maybe size doesn't matter.....it really is the motio...uhhgggg never mind.

anyways...fast foward.....now we have a sport that uses all areas of Fighting...not really one specific style anymore....

some Fights I recomend.....

- Gracie vs Dan Severn

- Rampage Jackson vs Carlos Arona

- Melvin Manhoef vs Cyborg Santos

- Chuck Lidell vs Allistair Overreem

- sakuraba vs rampage 1

( Anderson Silva vs Sonnen 1 was pretty sweet also)