Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Atheism vs. Theism (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290359)

HardwoodLegend 02-12-2013 10:52 AM

Atheism vs. Theism
 
I don't know where theists get off saying I don't understand the value of "faith" as an atheist.

Yes, I do. I have faith. It's just a faith instilled in a different conclusion than yours.

Given that humanity has demonstrated a propensity to lie and create methods of control over its own populace, I have faith that all of these religions are fabrications for moral guidance.

Your faith is that a book written thousands of years ago detailing events you weren't there to witness holds all the answers and path to salvation.

If there is a God, I don't know why he would punish me for using logic and then reward you for blindly accepting any random body of writing as "The Truth".

SilkkTheShocker 02-12-2013 11:04 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Studies show most Atheists suffer from some type of mental sickness.

bmulls 02-12-2013 11:09 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Studies show most Atheists suffer from some type of mental sickness.


:rolleyes:

You spend at least one day a week worshiping your imaginary friend, and yet you sit here and claim atheists suffer from mental sickness. Please tell me you see the irony.

HardwoodLegend 02-12-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Studies show most Atheists suffer from some type of mental sickness.


:lol @ "Studies"

Even if all of those studies were foolproof and accurate, you're still left with "most". What does that say about the minority of atheists who are sane and clear-minded? Probably that they're of genius status, and we know that geniuses are few and far in between.

And, as far as the "most" with mental sickness, what does that say about God that he would damn them for all eternity for being infected with a disease they can't control? Where's the "love" and "forgiveness" for them?

Wake up. Your gospel is a sham designed to provoke fear and get you to toe the line of society.

DCL 02-12-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmulls
:rolleyes:

You spend at least one day a week worshiping your imaginary friend, and yet you sit here and claim atheists suffer from mental sickness. Please tell me you see the irony.


:oldlol:

HardwoodLegend 02-12-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
"When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Stop and think of the sheer number of gods you are saying are false. You've got the winning lottery ticket, huh? All on good ole faith!

Jello 02-12-2013 11:41 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
:lol @ "Studies"

Even if all of those studies were foolproof and accurate, you're still left with "most". What does that say about the minority of atheists who are sane and clear-minded? Probably that they're of genius status, and we know that geniuses are few and far in between.

And, as far as the "most" with mental sickness, what does that say about God that he would damn them for all eternity for being infected with a disease they can't control? Where's the "love" and "forgiveness" for them?

Wake up. Your gospel is a sham designed to provoke fear and get you to toe the line of society.

How do you come to the conclusion that theyre of genius status? It doesn't follow.

PistonsFan#21 02-12-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I don't know where theists get off saying I don't understand the value of "faith" as an atheist.

Yes, I do. I have faith. It's just a faith instilled in a different conclusion than yours.

Given that humanity has demonstrated a propensity to lie and create methods of control over its own populace, I have faith that all of these religions are fabrications for moral guidance.

Your faith is that a book written thousands of years ago detailing events you weren't there to witness holds all the answers and path to salvation.

If there is a God, I don't know why he would punish me for using logic and then reward you for blindly accepting any random body of writing as "The Truth".


Please tell me more about how scientists witnessed the big bang and the evolution of bacteries into apes and humans :applause:

BrickingStar 02-12-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
I have no idea why you care so much about what people believe in as if it offends you but you should rename this thread to atheism vs christianity cause clearly that's what you are refering to by "damning you to hell" or talks about the gospel and not general theism. ie the bible dosn't represent theism but just a sub part of it.

HardwoodLegend 02-12-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
Please tell me more about how scientists witnessed the big bang and the evolution of bacteries into apes and humans :applause:


Please tell me more about how they present these explanations as theories and not dogma.

HardwoodLegend 02-12-2013 11:50 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickingStar
I have no idea why you care so much about what people believe in as if it offends you but you shoul rename this thread to atheism vs christianity cause clearly that's what you are refering to by "damning you to hell" or talks about the gospel and not general theism. ie the bible dosn't represent theism but just a sub part of it.


You're right about the renaming.

It's not that I care a whole lot, but it is slightly annoying when people take a holier-than-thou attitude and think they're special because of their virtue of "faith".

Nanners 02-12-2013 11:51 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I don't know where theists get off saying I don't understand the value of "faith" as an atheist.

Yes, I do. I have faith. It's just a faith instilled in a different conclusion than yours.

Given that humanity has demonstrated a propensity to lie and create methods of control over its own populace, I have faith that all of these religions are fabrications for moral guidance.

Your faith is that a book written thousands of years ago detailing events you weren't there to witness holds all the answers and path to salvation.

If there is a God, I don't know why he would punish me for using logic and then reward you for blindly accepting any random body of writing as "The Truth".


well said. as someone who considers themself to be agnostic, i agree.

BrickingStar 02-12-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
You're right about the renaming.

It's not that I care a whole lot, but it is slightly annoying when people take a holier-than-thou attitude and think they're special because of their virtue of "faith".

I see, just keep in mind that not all theist are part of any religion (or specifically christian as you are refering to this thread) or have any "holier-than-thou attitude because there isn't anything for them to follow strictly by.

shlver 02-12-2013 12:00 PM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
I don't understand how the fact that religion has been exploited supports the conclusion it is manmade. Looking at the nature of humans and their instincts is sufficient to understand the source of religion.

PistonsFan#21 02-12-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Atheism vs. Theism
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Please tell me more about how they present these explanations as theories and not dogma.


Ok so you basically saying that we have no proof of who is wrong or right? You either blindly believe in one or the other


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy