Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Man Murders A Drunk Driver After Car Crash (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290396)

BRabbiT 02-12-2013 05:23 PM

Man Murders A Drunk Driver After Car Crash

Quote:

A father has been charged with murder on Friday after allegedly shooting a drunk driver moments after he plowed into his truck killing his two young sons.

David Barajas, 31, and his sons, 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb, were about 50 yards from their Houston-area home when a car crashed into them on a dark rural road.

David Jr. died at the scene, while Caleb died later at a hospital.

Neighbors said they heard gunshots minutes after the Dec. 7 crash near Alvin, about 30 miles southeast of Houston.

Jose Banda, the 20-year-old driver who hit the boys, was later found shot in the head. His death was ruled a homicide.

Investigators believe Banda had been drinking before the crash, and they're awaiting the results of blood tests on him.

At a funeral service for the two boys, family and friends spoke of the brothers' love of sports and their family.

Their uncle, Gabriel Barajas, said David and Caleb were ‘inseparable’ and ‘playful.’ Caleb's nickname was the ‘Big C’ and Gabriel Barajas said both boys were big fans of the Houston Texans. Many of those at the service wore Texans jerseys in honor of the boys.

The tragedy unfolded just after 11pm when the Barajas’ family car ran out of gas along County Road 144 about 30 miles from Houston, MyFox Houston reported..

Caleb and David were helping push their father’s stalled truck when a car driven by 21-year-old Jose Banda slammed into the vehicle from behind.

The older of the two brother was killed on the spot, while his 11-year-old brother was airlifted to a hospital, where he eventually succumbed to his injuries.

The Harris County Medical Examiner said just moments after the fatal crash, Banda died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Police said no weapon has been recovered at the scene, but shots were heard after the crash.

Janie Tellez, Banda’s aunt, came to her nephew’s defense, demanding that his killer be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

‘It was an accident. He didn't purposely do that,’ Tellez told ABC13. 'Whoever did it is getting away with murdering my nephew. He deserves justice.’

Brazoria County sheriff's investigator Dominick Sanders said Monday that witnesses told authorities they saw Barajas, right after the crash, walk to his home and then return a few minutes later and approach Banda's vehicle.

Evidence showed one shot was fired, he said.

'Every time we would pursue a lead, it always came back to Mr. Barajas,' Sanders said. 'We have numerous statements placing him there at the car in close proximity to the victim at the time the gunshot was fired.'

Quote:

Members of the Barajas family have been accused since the accident.

After the accident and shooting, the Barajas told KHOU 11 News Wednesday that someone has threatened a drive-by shooting at the family’s home, forcing the grieving family to go into hiding.

According to the slain boys’ parents, someone wrote a message on Facebook accusing Cindy Barajas of shooting Banda.

‘I don’t know why people would think something like that or why people would try to accuse them of something when they already have two babies lost,’ said Sally Roman, who was friends with the two young victims.

Barajas was indicted for murder Friday and turned himself in Sunday. He was being held Monday in the Brazoria County Jail on a $450,000 bond.

Court records did not list an attorney for him.

Gabriel Barajas, David Barajas' brother, had previously said his sibling had remembered the crash as a 'blur' and called speculation that his brother or another family member might have been responsible for Banda's murder 'ugly.'

Barajas' wife, Cindy, was in the truck when it was hit, along with the couple's 8-year-old daughter and 3-month-old son.

A search of Barajas' home found ammunition that is consistent with the bullet that killed Banda, but authorities have not located the weapon used in the shooting, Sanders said. The case is 'going to be much more difficult if we don't have a weapon,' he added.

Gunshot residue tests were done on both Barajas and Banda, and authorities are still waiting for those results, Sanders said.

Investigators also are awaiting DNA test results of some 'biological material' that was found at the scene.

Sanders declined to elaborate on the material that is being tested.

This is tragic.

I can't imagine what it would be like to see your children's mangled bodies
after a car crash.

But how did Barajas know the driver was drunk??? This is unfathomable:wtf:

Clippersfan86 02-12-2013 05:27 PM

Re: Man Murders A Drunk Driver After Car Crash

I would have done the same thing probably. Drunk or not if the dumb fu** was at fault and wrecked into me killing my two sons... I'd unload on his ass if I had a gun.

DMV2 02-12-2013 05:36 PM

Even if the father was convicted for the shooting, they could only get him for manslaughter, right?
It would be under heat of the moment/crime of passion/not premeditated, something of that nature.

Clippersfan86 02-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMV2
Even if the father was convicted for the shooting, they could only get him for manslaughter, right?
It would be under heat of the moment/crime of passion/not premeditated, something of that nature.

I hope they don't convict him of anything. The dumb fu** who slammed into their car had what was coming to him.

bdreason 02-12-2013 05:37 PM

He'll get off on temporary insanity.

BRabbiT 02-12-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I hope they don't convict him of anything. The dumb fu** who slammed into their car had what was coming to him.

really???

he isn't Judge Dredd.

what if the driver had a seizure? heart attack?

DMV2 02-12-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Same here. The dead drunk driver would have gotten vehicular manslaughter himself if he was alive. Too me, the two manslaughters would cancel each other out.

An eye for an eye.

AlphaWolf24 02-12-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRabbiT
really???

he isn't Judge Dredd.

Still shoot him....Just so he won't do it again.

Clippersfan86 02-12-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRabbiT
really???

he isn't Judge Dredd.

It was confirmed he was drunk... It's highly unlikely the result was caused by anything else dude.

Clippersfan86 02-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMV2
Same here. The dead drunk driver would have gotten vehicular manslaughter himself if he was alive. Too me, the two manslaughters would cancel each other out.

An eye for an eye.

:oldlol: seriously though. I'm very forgiving in general but for extreme things like this I'm a very vindictive prick. If somebody wrongs me I can forgive but this kind of shit is unforgivable and I'm not about to leave it up to a flawed justice system that may just let him off with a few months in jail and suspend his drivers license.

-p.tiddy- 02-12-2013 05:46 PM

no one ever feels bad for the driver...who wasn't out looking to kill anyone...and just made a careless mistake, something that I bet most here over the age of 25 have done at some point

it's very very tragic but the driver didn't deserve to be executed like that...

Clippersfan86 02-12-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
no one ever feels bad for the driver...who wasn't out looking to kill anyone...and just made a careless mistake, something that I bet most here over the age of 25 have done at some point

It's not about "deserve". Ask yourself what you'd do if you saw your two little boys killed by a reckless driver and happened to have a gun on you?

ace23 02-12-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Lol @ "careless mistake".

-p.tiddy- 02-12-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

It's not about "deserve". Ask yourself what you'd do if you saw your two little boys killed by a reckless driver and happened to have a gun on you?

I can't even answer that because it is impossible to know...

I do know I would be completely devastated with or without killing the driver...

but maybe best case scenario I let him live and hope that one day I learn to forgive him...worst case scenario I kill him and take his place in prison...

-p.tiddy- 02-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace23
Lol @ "careless mistake".

yeah, that is what drunk driving is...a careless mistake

just like texting while driving...which is getting death numbers on similar levels