Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   R and B is back (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293067)

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:05 PM

R and B is back

and has been amazing...anyone who says this genre is dead needs to stop repeating cliches and actually listen to some of these artists.

First up:

Miguel

He dropped my favorite R&B album of the year called " Kaleidoscope Dream" with one of the best songs I've heard in a while called Adorn.

Here's the full album on youtube

He lead up to this masterpiece with a free EP series titled Art Dealer Chic, with three volumes. The first one included the previously mentioned Adorn, and two other songs, Gravity and That I Do. Each of these are amazing in my opinion and the other volumes are albeit still good, they don't match up to the first one.

Regardless check out all three if you can. Volume 2 has a song that I personally identify with called "All".

http://www.datpiff.com/Miguel-Art-De...pe.319982.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Miguel-Art-De...pe.329955.html

http://www.datpiff.com/Miguel-Art-De...pe.345783.html

Second: Frank Ocean
http://bandbent.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=500&h=322

His debut album "Channel Orange" features amazing song-writing plus his signature voice cascading throughout every track.

My personal favorite is "Crack Rock" where he sings about the drug through the eyes of a user. The social commentary and emotion he put into the song is a testament to his skills.

I cannot find a full album on Youtube, but listen to each song on this album. It's amazing.

Third:

Elle Varner

I don't seen anyone talking about this chick. This cute, quirky girl has an amazing voice that pull you into whatever she's signing about.

I absolutely love the way that her songs are composed, they feel fresh even though the narrative is the same as millions of songs from the past. That's astonishingly hard to do.

She released her debut album this summer like Frank Ocean did, but in August. Perfectly Imperfect got one grammy nomination for the her song "Refill" but I feel like this album and her work as a whole gets massively overlooked.

Before her album, she released a mixtape called Conversational Lush which has my favorite song of her's "Soundproof Room".

Here's the link: http://www.datpiff.com/Elle-Varner-C...pe.307629.html

Listen and enjoy guys.

Feel free to add or correct anything.

L.Kizzle 03-10-2013 11:08 PM

Re: R and B is back

It is dead.

Bilal released an album 2 weeks ago, and I bet you don't even know who he is.

Miguel and Frank ere above avg (as in better than Chris Brown and Omarion), but we are in trouble if you actually think those guys are the second coming of MJ and Prince in the 80s.

nathanjizzle 03-10-2013 11:09 PM

frank ocean makes music for black college girls. i cant get with miguel. iuno who the other chic is.

rnb is my fav genre

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
It is dead.

Bilal released an album 2 weeks ago, and I bet you don't even know who he is.

Miguel and Frank ere above avg (as in better than Chris Brown and Omarion), but we are in trouble if you actually think those guys are the second coming of MJ and Prince in the 80s.

Michael was making music for damn near two decades before he started dropping CLASSIC material and you trying to tell me that these people are just above average because they don't measure up?

Shut that shit up.

Please.

I know who Bilal is obviously, present his album with links and info so that ISH can get some good shit in their playlists. Stop being elitist and use "links". It's not that hard.

L.Kizzle 03-10-2013 11:15 PM

Bilal: Astray
Bilal: Slipping Away
Bilal: Never Be The Same
Bilal: Back To Love

Cowboy Thunder 03-10-2013 11:16 PM

It'll be "back" when you start hearing it on the radio again.

As for now, it's just Bruno Mars and no one else.

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder

:biggums:

Who listens to the radio still?

Been driving for over 5 years, always listened to my own shit.

L.Kizzle 03-10-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Michael was making music for damn near two decades before he started dropping CLASSIC material and you trying to tell me that these people are just above average because they don't measure up?

Shut that shit up.

Please.

I know who Bilal is obviously, present his album with links and info so that ISH can get some good shit in their playlists. Stop being elitist and use "links". It's not that hard.

I made a thread about Bilal when the album dropped 2 weeks back, and got one reply from Al Thorton on some BS.

And Mike was dropping classics in the early 70s.

They are above avg because they are, that's not a bad thing. They are not even on an R.Kelly or Gerald LeVert level. That's not a bad thing, they are the best contemporary R&B artist out now. Better than every one else, but when you look deeper to the Bilal's, Raphael Saadiq's, Van Hunt's, Robert Glasper, they got some work to do.

Cowboy Thunder 03-10-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just2McFly
:biggums:

Who listens to the radio still?

Been driving for over 5 years, always listened to my own shit.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cowboy Thunder 03-10-2013 11:22 PM

Trust me, soon will come a day when you are too busy to seek out good music and you just have to rely on the ol' radio/pandora or such to give you music.

L.Kizzle 03-10-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

He got a lot of gas. Must be wearing a diaper like that one astronaut chick.

BuffaloBill 03-10-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

They only play Bruno Mars on pop radio stations. You do know there are R&B radio stations right?

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I made a thread about Bilal when the album dropped 2 weeks back, and got one reply from Al Thorton on some BS.

And Mike was dropping classics in the early 70s.

They are above avg because they are, that's not a bad thing. They are not even on an R.Kelly or Gerald LeVert level. That's not a bad thing, they are the best contemporary R&B artist out now. Better than every one else, but when you look deeper to the Bilal's, Raphael Saadiq's, Van Hunt's, Robert Glasper, they got some work to do.

Of course but they are just starting out, these guys are fresh out of the gate. Miguel's debut was 2 and a half years ago, the other two just came out last year(no pun intended).

Give them time and enjoy what they have to offer. People don't have to drop legendary shit in order to be appreciated. Their music is appealing and well done, I'm entertained by it. It doesn't have to be Off The Wall quality or Purple Rain for me to applaud their efforts.

L.Kizzle 03-10-2013 11:23 PM

Luke James: Make Love To Me
Allen Stone: Unaware

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Trust me, soon will come a day when you are too busy to seek out good music and you just have to rely on the ol' radio/pandora or such to give you music.

Or not worry about syntax and use that time to buy an ipod:facepalm