Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why can't you yanks deal with polysyllabic words? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30537)

The_Pope 02-17-2007 12:23 PM

Why can't you yanks deal with polysyllabic words?

I don't mean all of them, obviously. However, there are loads of words that Americans seem to cut syllables from for no apparent reason.

Examples:
Hyundai, yanks pronounce it "Hun-dai", actual pronunciation is "Hai-un-dai".

Adam Vinatieri, this obviously should be pronounced "Vin-a-ti-eri", but yanks say "Vin-a-teri".

Sophomore, "Soph-o-more", not "Soph-more".

Manu Ginobili, "Gin-o-bi-li", not "Gin-o-bli".

I'm not having a dig at you colonials, just wondering why you think this is?

Timmeh 02-17-2007 12:33 PM

Re: Why can't you yanks deal with polysyllabic words?

It's called accents. Some Americans do say it right, some don't. Just because we aint proper like you tea-drinkers don't mean we aint educated.

Now, as a weak comeback to the "yanks" and "colonials" remark...you're just jealous because we beat you in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Just joking really.

The_Masterplan 02-17-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
It's called accents. Some Americans do say it right, some don't. Just because we aint proper like you tea-drinkers don't mean we aint educated.

Now, as a weak comeback to the "yanks" and "colonials" remark...you're just jealous because we beat you in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Just joking really.

Actually in the revolutionary way they were fighting themselves. It was english vs. english.

War of 1812 was a war that nobody really won.

WuTangWizard 02-17-2007 03:24 PM

Why the **** does it matter.

Timmeh 02-17-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Actually in the revolutionary way they were fighting themselves. It was english vs. english.
True, but I was looking at it from the stand point that America gained independence by defeating the British.

Quote:

War of 1812 was a war that nobody really won.
Also true, but America won a lot of the major battles, (New Orleans, Ft. McHenry, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain, Horseshoe Bend, etc.)

different107 02-17-2007 11:45 PM

yay for history and i guess accents too for that matter

thekavorka 02-18-2007 03:50 AM

the one i never understood was "comfortable"

instead of comfort-able, people pronounce it as "comfterble"

jjswifty 02-18-2007 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WuTangWizard
Why the **** does it matter.

what he said. :cheers:

The_Masterplan 02-18-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
True, but I was looking at it from the stand point that America gained independence by defeating the British.

Also true, but America won a lot of the major battles, (New Orleans, Ft. McHenry, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain, Horseshoe Bend, etc.)

ya im british so i got defensive.

The battle of New Orleans was techinically after the war was over. It is just weird that they did a battle after the war had ended. The communication was just THAT BAD back then. hard to imagine really.