Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   European coaches in the NBA? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54732)

berraco 09-05-2007 09:03 AM

European coaches in the NBA?

I've just read that Pedro Ferrandiz, a spanish coach and probably the most laurate coach in the world, will join this year the Basketball Hall of Fame. Looking to the Hall of Famers, I see several european, but only one, Geno Auriemma, coaching in the US, for the University of Connecticut in the NCAA.
So, the question that cames to my mind is: Who could be the first european coach in the NBA? Who do you think would have a successful career in the US?

My thoughts: Pini Gershon, Ettore Messina and maybe Aito García Reneses.
Yours?

la bomba 09-05-2007 04:11 PM

Re: European coaches in the NBA?

Its a different game.I would say d'antoni could be considered european,he played most of his life in Italy and for the italian national team,then coached in italy before moving to NBA.Renesses is a good coach but not for NBA,Messina could coach any team ,probably what pepu hernandez is doing with Spain is an example that he could too.Therer are a lot of great coaches in Europe but its a different game and a different structure.

simasu01 09-05-2007 11:56 PM

sure gershon is a good coach hes asian though. isnt messina a turk? wouldnt that make him asian as well? i liked the job of hernandez from the spanish natl team i think he would be ok, maybe not hall of fame, but he take a team to playoffs.

la bomba 09-06-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simasu01
sure gershon is a good coach hes asian though. isnt messina a turk? wouldnt that make him asian as well? i liked the job of hernandez from the spanish natl team i think he would be ok, maybe not hall of fame, but he take a team to playoffs.

messina a turk??he is italian!
Gershon yes he is not european.

simasu01 09-06-2007 04:15 PM

im sorry theres another coach that has a name like messina i seriously mixed them up.

gsafier 09-07-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la bomba
messina a turk??he is italian!
Gershon yes he is not european.

Well, Gershon is not European per se, but Israel is an integral part of the European basketball and as such, can be considered as coming from a European basketball culture (if there is such a thing).

Taras Bulba 02-19-2009 09:34 PM

The only ones who could do it are Messina and Obradovic, at least as assistant coaches.