Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How about having Classic/Old school forum? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82411)

Lakerfan1-Iceland 04-01-2008 08:55 AM

How about having Classic/Old school forum?

Hi mods how about creating a classic basketball discussion forum? We have street ball,video games and teams etc etc etc.
I wouls love to have a forum like that for those who want to discuss the 80s Celtics,Lakers and 76ers. For guys wanting to talk about Adrian Dantley,Moses Malone,James Worthy,Tom Chambers and others.

The reason i ask is everynow and then i see a interesting thread on the main page, like the other day there was a wery interesting discussion and question about Kevin McHale and his post moves then when i went too check it it had gone all the way back to page 4 or 5. And htis happens all the time unless it is a Jordan thread.

It would be great for us older hoop heads and i think fun for some younger kids postin here to have the option to check that forum out as well and learn a little about the old school game.
Me beeing a old hoop head though just sounds wrong but i watched the nba from 1990 and until today and have gotten my hands on a lot of games from the 80s as well. Would really like to have a forum like this here on insidehoops.

kidachi 04-01-2008 08:59 AM

Re: How about having Classic/Old school forum?

it can be talked about here in the main forum..

Psileas 04-01-2008 01:57 PM

Lakerfan, I agree. Every major board has a forum about history or player comparisons. Here, ISHers prefer having forums for electronic games, sneakers, WNBA. Give me a break. Is this that tough to add one subforum more?

Quote:

The problem with this is that plenty of these threads are highjacked by posters without knowledge/care about history, who just want to increase their post count or just troll (BULLS, SRZwhatever, etc). By creating a history forum, only people who actually care a bit will mind to perform a little more clicking (see: OT threads), not just any random Joe.

Niquesports 04-01-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakerfan1-Iceland
Hi mods how about creating a classic basketball discussion forum? We have street ball,video games and teams etc etc etc.
I wouls love to have a forum like that for those who want to discuss the 80s Celtics,Lakers and 76ers. For guys wanting to talk about Adrian Dantley,Moses Malone,James Worthy,Tom Chambers and others.

The reason i ask is everynow and then i see a interesting thread on the main page, like the other day there was a wery interesting discussion and question about Kevin McHale and his post moves then when i went too check it it had gone all the way back to page 4 or 5. And htis happens all the time unless it is a Jordan thread.

It would be great for us older hoop heads and i think fun for some younger kids postin here to have the option to check that forum out as well and learn a little about the old school game.
Me beeing a old hoop head though just sounds wrong but i watched the nba from 1990 and until today and have gotten my hands on a lot of games from the 80s as well. Would really like to have a forum like this here on insidehoops.

GREAT idea lets get it started

20 Dimes A Game 04-01-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidachi

Exactly.

Richie2k6 04-01-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
Exactly.

Any thread talking about older basketball or anything that raises a good debate on something other than player vs player usually gets bumped back pretty far or get infested with paper-thin troll posts.

I agree on the new forum. I'd want that, too, as well as an X's and O's forum. Like Psileas said, we have a sneaker and video game forum, why not these? Aside from Nuggets game threads, I've hardly been posting on ISH as much as I used to because there really aren't as many good topics that draw my attention. Mainly MVP talk, player vs player, etc. That only entertains some for so long. A forum to reiminisce on old school basketball and a forum for basketball X's and O's and fundamentals would be a great addition and would increase the intelligence of a lot of posters who don't know much about either one of those.

steve 04-01-2008 03:08 PM

I think it's a good idea in theory, but I'm not sure if it would work in execution. All the problems that comparison threads usually bring up here would also be present in a History Forum. It just seems like a lot of people would miss the point of it. Although if NBA TV decided to show more classic games instead of more Ahmad Rashad (can someone tell me definitively how an ex NFL Receiver has become a go to guy for the NBA for nearly two decades?), there could be a lot of ground on Classic Game Threads.

Richie2k6 04-02-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

All the problems that comparison threads usually bring up here would also be present in a History Forum.
But the only people that would really be posting there would be the people who actually know what they're talking about. Not many people would go there just to troll. It's hard to spam and make fun of stuff that you don't know anything about.

RainierBeachPoet 04-02-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psileas
Lakerfan, I agree. Every major board has a forum about history or player comparisons. Here, ISHers prefer having forums for electronic games, sneakers, WNBA. Give me a break. Is this that tough to add one subforum more?

The problem with this is that plenty of these threads are highjacked by posters without knowledge/care about history, who just want to increase their post count or just troll (BULLS, SRZwhatever, etc). By creating a history forum, only people who actually care a bit will mind to perform a little more clicking (see: OT threads), not just any random Joe.

i agree wholeheartedly p-s

when a decent old school thread gets going, it can also get bumped way down on the forum listing and then eventually get lost

i would probably go directly to a old school/history forum and spend even less time in the regular one

i support the idea 100%

how about it jeff?

ForceOfNature 04-02-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakerfan1-Iceland

I like the idea of this Retro NBA forum.

Zak 04-02-2008 10:26 AM

Then where will ~insert olden day player here~ vs. ~insert current player here~ threads go?

Kebab Stall 04-02-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2k6
But the only people that would really be posting there would be the people who actually know what they're talking about. Not many people would go there just to troll. It's hard to spam and make fun of stuff that you don't know anything about.

Do you really think a lack of knowledge is going stop some of the idiots from posting? Half the posters now, have no idea what they are talking about, but that doesn't stop them from making ridiculous threads/posts/arguments that hold little to no truth/value.

If a Classic/Old School Forum were to be made then I garuntee that alot of threads will be "(Legendary player here) vs (modern player here)" followed by some of the most nauseating crap ever seen.

Though there will be good arguments, much better than any on the forum on the net, there will be the idiots who have no clue yet persist that they are right after viewing a couple of minutes of highlights on youtube.

Thorpesaurous 04-02-2008 10:41 AM

Wouldn't it be easier for the eight of us to just PM each other all the time.

Niquesports 04-02-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Wouldn't it be easier for the eight of us to just PM each other all the time.

Now thats a great idea

Niquesports 04-02-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve
I think it's a good idea in theory, but I'm not sure if it would work in execution. All the problems that comparison threads usually bring up here would also be present in a History Forum. It just seems like a lot of people would miss the point of it. Although if NBA TV decided to show more classic games instead of more Ahmad Rashad (can someone tell me definitively how an ex NFL Receiver has become a go to guy for the NBA for nearly two decades?), there could be a lot of ground on Classic Game Threads.

his best friend is MJ might be the reason