Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   OJ Mayo NBA comparisons (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88629)

VCMVP1551 05-21-2008 07:30 AM

OJ Mayo NBA comparisons

What player do you think OJ Mayo is most similar to? I've heard Gilbert Arenas and Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy and Jamal Crawford.

I think Brandon Roy is probably the least accurate and Crawford/Arenas are the best comparisons.

RoseCity07 05-21-2008 08:01 AM

Re: OJ Mayo NBA comparisons

Well Brandon Roy is the opposite of Arenas. Roy is a player that looks to get his team mates involved, never rushes anthing/ controls the tempo, can take any player to the basket and score with either hand, shoots mid range jump shots. Something about watching OJ Mayo, he comes off as a guy that worries more about himself rather than team. I would say he is more like Arenas in that he wants to stand out as an individual which may be why his team didn't get any where.

kumquat 05-21-2008 08:08 AM

I'd say a young Marbury

VCMVP1551 05-21-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumquat
I'd say a young Marbury

I don't know. Mayo seems to be more of a scorer/less of a playmaker than Marbury and much bigger.

Wozza_wade 05-21-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Well Brandon Roy is the opposite of Arenas. Roy is a player that looks to get his team mates involved, never rushes anthing/ controls the tempo, can take any player to the basket and score with either hand, shoots mid range jump shots. Something about watching OJ Mayo, he comes off as a guy that worries more about himself rather than team. I would say he is more like Arenas in that he wants to stand out as an individual which may be why his team didn't get any where.

maybe but neither did roys this year

RoseCity07 05-21-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wozza_wade
maybe but neither did roys this year

Wow that was a predictable response. What do you expect from the youngest team in the NBA and the leader being in his second year? Plus we are playing in the Western Conference. The Wizards have 3 All Star caliber veterans and they're playing in the east. Anyway, I wasn't even talking about the Wizards, I was talking about Mayo's USC team. I don't think you wanna go there about comparing the Wizards success to Portland's.

Fresh-2-Def 05-21-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumquat
I'd say a young Marbury

Derrick Rose reminds me of a young Marbury...If you want a true point guard. Bayless is the way to go. Derrick Rose is overrated!

Cohnman15 05-21-2008 09:20 AM

With the right team, I could see Mayo developing into a Roy-like player. On a disfunctional team, Mayo would become another Crawford.

kumquat 05-21-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh-2-Def
Derrick Rose reminds me of a young Marbury...If you want a true point guard. Bayless is the way to go. Derrick Rose is overrated!

:oldlol: seriously, he's like the anti-marbury

elz 05-21-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseCity07

Your jumping to alot of conclusions

there's a difference between a player who goes out for self and a guy who only knows how to win by scoring.
Which is what I see is the true issue wit Mayo.
Your commenting like he's some self centered prick and he hasn't been around long enough and know one knows him well enough to jump to those kind of conclusions.

He should have stayed in college, everywhere this kid has gone he's been the guy. He still doesn't know how to play within the offense and dominate in others ways besides just scoring.

He's gonna be somewhat like Marbury and Steve Francis and depending on his coach and how receptive he is to coaching and criticism will determine whether he's star in this league or a underachiever whose just all hype and athleticism. He shouldn't have jumped pro yet.

Dasher 05-21-2008 09:38 AM

Has anyone watched Mayo play? Or are they only looking at his stats? He worked to get his teammates involved, some of them, I am looking at you Taj Gibson, have/had horrible hands.

VCMVP1551 05-21-2008 09:59 AM

Good 3 point shooter
Volume shooter/scorer
6'4"-6'5" shooting guard who can also play some point guard
Strong defender
Questioned about his team play at times.

All of those things apply to Kobe Bryant.
All of those except for the defense apply to Jamal Crawford

Really I think he'll end up somewhere in between Kobe and Crawford. I highly doubt he'll be anywhere near as good as Kobe is but I also think he'll be a lot better than Crawford.

Kiddlovesnets 05-21-2008 10:06 AM

Magic Johnson!

bagelred 05-21-2008 10:12 AM

There was a player back in the '60s that was VERY similar to OJ Mayo.

His name was H2O Mustard.

Very similar.

Fresh-2-Def 05-21-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
There was a player back in the '60s that was VERY similar to OJ Mayo.

His name was H2O Mustard.

Very similar.

Was that suppose to be funny??? Fail! Epic Fail!